The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 13, 2015, 06:27 PM   #51
Bultaco

So, I guess we have come full circle then. The yotes have no established value system other than to find the easiest way to fill their bellies and we respond with no particular regard to providing them with a quick, relatively short pain period death. What ever works is justified. Works for me.
Old August 13, 2015, 10:58 PM   #52
Will-j

SKIZ: RE: Post 16; Ga. Code 16-11-103>>>[NO Discharge of firearms within fifty, [50] yards of a Public Highway or Street]. In a Deputy's code book, his also stated, If I remember..."And In The Direction Thereof. Perhaps some LEO out here can bring us up to date. My code books are dated '89 and '91, and have possibly been subjected to change.

As for residential discharge; Deputy friend also advised a few years ago [that] within the city limits...NO discharge of firearms [WITHIN 1000 FEET] of another residence

BUCK 460; RE: Post 45.....Apparently, you must not have heard about the coyote that attacked an [infant] in its carrier while the mother was hanging clothes in the yard mere feet away. Somewhere in Arizona, or California, a few years ago. Coyotes are nothing but vermin and need to be eradicated by any means and at every opportunity.....PERIOD.

WILL
THE WINDS OF CHANGE ARE BLOWING FROM OUR OWN CAPITOL.
Old August 14, 2015, 01:42 PM   #53
Dragline45

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck460XVR
But aren't any of Mother Natures predators that way? No different than the hundreds of thousands of house cats that roam backyards killing millions of songbirds every year. I have no remorse shooting them either. If a stray 'yote gets one of them before I do, he just saved me a bullet.
If you are advocating killing housecats, which are peoples pets, hence the term housecat, not only is that highly illegal, but unethical. If I ever found out a neighbor shot my cat or dog, I would probably be behind bars right now. Personally I have issue even killing stray cat's, the last 5 cats I have had were stray's that I had taken in.

Last edited by Dragline45; August 14, 2015 at 01:49 PM.
Old August 14, 2015, 03:58 PM   #54
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted by Dragline45:

If you are advocating killing housecats, which are peoples pets, hence the term housecat, not only is that highly illegal, but unethical. If I ever found out a neighbor shot my cat or dog, I would probably be behind bars right now. Personally I have issue even killing stray cat's, the last 5 cats I have had were stray's that I had taken in.

In my state, the shooting of feral cats is not only legal, but recommended by the DNR because they are such a detriment to the wild songbird populations. They also define a feral cat as any cat running lose outside of it's owners property. IOWs, if I shot your cat on my property, you would be the one in the wrong for allowing your cat to roam. Did you know you can be charged with trespassing for knowingly allowing your cat to come onto my property? On top of that, you brag about assaulting a neighbor because he was following the law? And you have the nerve to talk about the ethics of others.......

Don't want your house cat shot or eaten by coyotes, keep them safe in your house. Otherwise if they end up disappearing, you have no one to blame but yourself.
Old August 14, 2015, 05:34 PM   #55
Dragline45

Quote:
In my state, the shooting of feral cats is not only legal, but recommended by the DNR because they are such a detriment to the wild songbird populations. They also define a feral cat as any cat running lose outside of it's owners property. IOWs, if I shot your cat on my property, you would be the one in the wrong for allowing your cat to roam. Did you know you can be charged with trespassing for knowingly allowing your cat to come onto my property?
Would love to see that in writing, I HIGHLY doubt your state allows people to kill their neighbors cats solely because it wandered onto their property. If you want to talk about ethics, anyone who goes out of their way to kill other peoples pets is a sick minded individual.
Old August 14, 2015, 07:31 PM   #56
buck460XVR

Quote:
If you want to talk about ethics, anyone who goes out of their way to kill other peoples pets is a sick minded individual.

Never said I went outta my way to kill anyone's pet...you said that. I only compared the killing methods employed by housecats to those used by coyotes.
Old August 14, 2015, 07:55 PM   #57
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Whoa up, Dragline. The deal is not about Darling Fluffy in the usual urban/suburban setting. It's about feral cats outside of those areas.

Feral cats are extremely destructive against squirrels, rabbits, songbirds and quail. That is known fact, not subject to debate.

A study done some years back by the Wisconsin wildlife agency and reported on in (IIRC) Sports Afield magazine concluded that feral cats in rural areas kill approximately 100 songbirds each, per year. The study's estimate of the feral cat population in Wisconsin was approximately one million.

I'm in a rural area in south Georgia. I had noticed a decline in squirrels, rabbits and birds around the immediate area. I learned that a nearby neighbor had nearly a dozen house cats. She had catfood in bowls outside, 24/7/365. The local animal shelter got involved and did the Havahart trap thing for a few months. 72 house cats. We're seeing the beginnings of a comeback in squirrels and birds.
Old August 14, 2015, 09:13 PM   #58
Dragline45

Quote:
Never said I went outta my way to kill anyone's pet...you said that.
Yes you did... and you even implied it was legal to do so

Quote:
No different than the hundreds of thousands of house cats that roam backyards killing millions of songbirds every year. I have no remorse shooting them either. If a stray 'yote gets one of them before I do, he just saved me a bullet.
Quote:
They also define a feral cat as any cat running lose outside of it's owners property. IOWs, if I shot your cat on my property, you would be the one in the wrong for allowing your cat to roam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Eatman
Whoa up, Dragline. The deal is not about Darling Fluffy in the usual urban/suburban setting. It's about feral cats outside of those areas. Feral cats are extremely destructive against squirrels, rabbits, songbirds and quail. That is known fact, not subject to debate.

A study done some years back by the Wisconsin wildlife agency and reported on in (IIRC) Sports Afield magazine concluded that feral cats in rural areas kill approximately 100 songbirds each, per year. The study's estimate of the feral cat population in Wisconsin was approximately one million.

I'm in a rural area in south Georgia. I had noticed a decline in squirrels, rabbits and birds around the immediate area. I learned that a nearby neighbor had nearly a dozen house cats. She had catfood in bowls outside, 24/7/365. The local animal shelter got involved and did the Havahart trap thing for a few months. 72 house cats. We're seeing the beginnings of a comeback in squirrels and birds.
I consider feral cat's different than house cats, peoples pets, wandering around neighborhoods, or the lone stray that got lost or left behind by their owners when they moved. Like I said the past 5 cats I had were either lost cats or cats left behind by neighbors who moved out, would not even think about shooting them. Now if there were 72 feral cats roaming a small area like you described wrecking havoc on the wildlife, I agree something has to be done about that. But shooting any cat that wanders onto your property, with the chances that it could be your neighbors pet, doesn't fly with me. This problem could also be solved by trapping, spaying, and neutering feral cats to keep the population in check, and a large part of this problem is cat owners not getting their pets fixed.

Last edited by Dragline45; August 14, 2015 at 09:26 PM.
Old August 14, 2015, 09:13 PM   #59
TRAPPER1

Coyotes

Hi to tell you the truth if i were in shoes I would let the D.N.R. OR you wildlife officer look after this for you . good luck and yes they will kill your cats or other pets .
Old August 15, 2015, 12:07 AM   #60
shortwave

We don't have many issue's with feral cats around here. On occasion we do and the issue is usually resolved in short order.

Quote:
I consider feral cat's different than house cats, peoples pets, wandering around neighborhoods,
I consider a house cat very different then a cat that is left loose to run the neighborhood using neighboring flower beds as their litter boxes. When I lived in town, this was a big issue between a neighbor of mine and a few of us. These people had better than a dozen cats and let them run. Our dog killed two of these cats in our fenced in backyard and they promptly called the law on us. Not one time,but both times. Once in the winter, once in the summer on a real hot, humid day in which you could get a good whiff of the wife's flower beds. LEO told them to keep their cats at home.

IMO, the laws for cats, especially in city limits should be the same as dogs. Keep em home or on a leash.
Old August 15, 2015, 07:56 AM   #61
buck460XVR

Quote:
This problem could also be solved by trapping, spaying, and neutering feral cats to keep the population in check.

Same could be said for Coyotes. But would still be very ineffective and cost prohibitive for both. This would not keep those neutered animals from continuing to do what comes naturally to them....kill for food. But, housecats left to roam, do not kill to eat. That's why they leave the headless body of baby rabbits, chipmunks and Cardinals on your front steps. They kill for the thrill of the hunt and then come in the house to eat "Fancy Treats" and sleep on the bed. That's why they play with the mouse before they kill it and then leave it lay. Unlike the coyotes, they are not hungry. This is what is so ridiculous. Folks cry to have the coyotes shot(legal or not, safe or not) while they are hunting for food, so that they can allow their cats to continue to roam and kill needlessly. Then they scream "sicko" when someone suggests eliminating feral cats. Hard to argue with that mentality.
Old August 15, 2015, 08:44 AM   #62
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Reminds me of Slim Pickens' comment at a public hearing in Colorado about 1080 poison traps when a little old lady raised the issue of trapping and neutering.

"Lady, the problem is, they're killing sheep, not raping them."
Old August 15, 2015, 09:20 AM   #63
Panfisher

I live outside of town, have plenty of coyotes around. There are plenty of stray, and free roaming cats around but they seldom get more than 100 yards from a house. If it's a free range cat, or feral one shoot them if you want or dont. If you are that attached to your cats you need to keep them inside else they will end up shot, run over, killed by haying equipment, or eaten by a coyote. We have farm cats that live outside 24/7, the difference is we know on disappears occasionally, fortunately they are always more cats available.
Old August 15, 2015, 05:04 PM   #64
Pathfinder45

coyotes can be a good thing.....

I would kill coyotes if they were raiding the hen-house. On the other hand, when I lived in Kansas across the river from St. Joseph, it was the coyotes that saved my cantalope crop from the rabbits. I was overwhelmed with rabbits and could not kill enough of them to save my crop. Then, one day, I saw a coyote crossing the field and the next day another. We hadn't seen or heard them all year, but now you could hear them at night. Within one week, there wasn't another rabbit to be seen and my cantalopes were saved. like I said, I could kill a coyote if I needed to. But not when they are on my side. Occasionally I have seen them here in Oregon when I'm up in the woods, hunting, fishing, camping or hiking. I never shoot them because their still on my good side.
To think that the only good coyote is a dead coyote is narrow minded and ignorant of nature's balance. Most of us have two eyes for better perspective.
So I view coyotes as potential allies. Many here seem to have the opposite viewpoint and I would not be one to invalidate their experiences. Just offering an alternate view for the circumspect. Regards, Pathfinder.
Old August 15, 2015, 08:11 PM   #65
amd6547

I work in a small suburb of Cleveland, pretty much an urban area.
There is a large field across the street, and yesterday I watched a large coyote stalk and kill a groundhog...pouncing on it, throwing it in the air a couple times, and ultimately carrying in off. Quite a site in broad daylight in a small city.

As long as they are taking out the raccoons and keeping other critters in check, including the stray fawn, I'm for them.
Besides, they say the mountain lions are coming back...they'll take care of the coyotes.
Old August 17, 2015, 08:02 AM   #66
Husqvarna

Quote:
if it is your cat leave it in your frekkin house

no other animal is allowed to roam free so why should cats`?

they wreck havoc on wildlife, they -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED-/-CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED- in your yard, aggravate your dogs in YOUR yard (my terrier has clipped a few and good riddance and it is your own fault for letting it roam)

they spread disease, toxoplasmosis, dangerous stuff...

the only cats that should be allowed to roam are barncats because they have a purpose
Old August 17, 2015, 10:54 AM   #67
Boogershooter

I've been having problems with the neighbors cats in the last few months. I knocked on his door to let him know. I gave him a chance to do what he needed to. He smirked and said they were his wife's cats. I put my deer cam up and had pics of around 65 different cats. My neighbors live 1/4 mile down the road. I waited exactly one week then I shot two cats n my yard. Appearantly they heard the shots and noticed the cats missing. The next morning my neighbors along with a local sheriff deputy were knocking on my door. The Leo advised him that his animals we're not contained in his yard or on a leash. His wife stated that didn't matter to her and she would b sueing me for her cats. I showed the Leo all the cat tracks on my 4 vehicles. He took pics. Sure enough I got served a couple weeks later with a summons to court. I took a day off work and took all four vehicles to the paint and body shop to get estimates for new clear cotes. I dropped all four of them off at the neighbors house and for some reason all charges against me have been dropped. I guess my late grandpa's saying of ( there's more than one way to skin a cat ) still holds true. Keep your cats inside or I will repair all 4 vehicles every week. Just a Lil food for thought.
Old August 18, 2015, 06:26 AM   #68
TimSr

Pet - An animal that is cared for by a human

Stray - A domesticated animal that has been lost or abandoned by its owner

Feral - A once domesticated animal, or species that is typically a domesticated animal that was either born in the wild, or has been in the wild for so long, that it has reverted back to being a wild animal, and is no longer domesticated.
Old August 18, 2015, 09:16 AM   #69
Boogershooter

In a state with the leash law it states very clearly that the animal must be contained by the owner within his/her property or contained on a leash. The owner of the animal is responsible for any damage that it causes. This law is for any animal you own. Cats, dogs, hamsters horses, cows, or any pet and or live stock. If I allowed my dogs to run free and they ran onto the highway then I'm responsible for damages to someone's vehicle if they were to run over it or God forbid flip their vehicle to keep from hitting it. As adults we should be responsible enough to take care of our pets. Letting them run and damage other people's property is not responsible. I love and respect all animals. Some for stress relief and some for eating. I wish I had more coyotes sometimes for the cat problem but when they get around the chicken coop my dogs go crazy and wake me up. I don't shoot them unless they are tearing up my fences. People just be responsible for your animals wether it's pets or livestock.