The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 23, 2013, 09:23 PM   #1
rebs

trap choke ?

using a 12 ga shotgun what choke would be best for 16 yd trap ?
Old December 23, 2013, 10:31 PM   #2
LMS

Improved Mod
Old December 24, 2013, 02:34 AM   #3
Dreaming100Straight

I use an improved modified, but only because I am slow to get on target. Many use a modified.
Old December 24, 2013, 06:30 AM   #4
Slugo

like the boys said, IM...
Old December 24, 2013, 09:45 AM   #5
BigD_in_FL

From the 16, a M will do the job unless you take forever to get on the bird. If you are quick, then you will engage the bird about 35 yards out
Old December 24, 2013, 12:08 PM   #6
BigJimP

A modified is plenty of choke at 16 yds.../ if you are not already doing it, you need to be shooting a Trap singles target as it is rising, not as it flattens out or starts to fall. ( kill range is at 30 - 35 yds from the point you're standing...)

As far as shells go ....1 oz of 9's or 8's are plenty of shot, with a Modifed choke as well...at 16 yds ...in fact, it works just fine to about the 20 yard line ( because you're still killing the bird at under 40 yds total distance)...

( if you're shooting bio-degradeable targets...they're a little tougher to break, so I'd stay with 8's over 9's ).

...as you move back from the 16 yd line. 21 - 25 yd lines I would go with an Improved Mod....( because your kill range grows to 40 or maybe 44 yds...

....and if you are shooting at 26 or 27 yds, I'd go with a Full choke - and I'd move up to pellets at 7 1/2's ...but I still stay with no more than 1 oz of shot.
-----------
Some of my buddies use the same chokes....but for Trap, all they shoot is 7/8 oz of shot...same as I do mostly with 8's...
------------
But the real key in shooting Trap singles, is to kill them when they are still rising and under power - so the flight is predictable.
Old December 25, 2013, 03:13 PM   #7
zippy13

I'm old school and shoot trap singles (16-yard) with a Full, or almost Full, choke. Yeah, I know a lot of folks like a wider spread. I use an Imp Mod for the first shot in trap doubles.

When I had just a Skeet gun, I used it for infrequent trap -- the Sk choke didn't "smoke" many targets. When I got my first trap gun (R-1100-T) it came with Full, Extra Full and Super Full screw-ins. My present trap gun (B-682x) came with Imp Mod, Full, and X-Full. Perhaps this was indicative of a trend towards wider chokes for trap.

Quote:
kill them when they are still rising and under power - so the flight is predictable.
Amen, Big Jim.
A falling trap target can easily get under your barrel. Have you ever noticed, how many trap shooters have a devil of a time shooting straight away targets.
Old December 25, 2013, 05:46 PM   #8
BigJimP

Yes ....., and I'm not a serious Trap shooter either...

.....but when I miss, its usually on station 3 because I get lazy on the straight away targets - and shoot over the top of them once in a while...and it really aggravates me.
Old December 25, 2013, 07:44 PM   #9
LMS

Quote:
Have you ever noticed, how many trap shooters have a devil of a time shooting straight away targets.
It's because there's no such thing as a straightaway in trap....
Old December 25, 2013, 07:57 PM   #10
LMS

Quote:
...but for Trap, all they shoot is 7/8 oz of shot...same as I do mostly with 8's...
BigJimP, I have to respectfully disagree with this advice. I would like to know what percentage of the time your friends are breaking all 25. I am thinking not too often. Most competitive trap shooters are shooting the max allowed - 1 1/8 oz loads. Do the math - you are putting 28% more pellets out there by shooting 1 1/8 oz over 7/8 oz.

LMS
Old December 25, 2013, 08:50 PM   #11
BigD_in_FL

Not necessary, many are switching to 1 and 7/8oz loads and no longer need release triggers..........try Bunker where 24 gram is max and the targets are faster and harder and they typically run the table
Old December 25, 2013, 10:38 PM   #12
colbad

The answer to your question depends on a few factors. I will assume you are shooting standard ATA registered targets and not international. The biggest factor is whether you are a quick shot who picks up the target and pops it immediately or do you ride the target a bit? A quick shot at 16 can get away with a more open choke and gain a bit of an advantage.

At 16 yards you want the most open pattern you can get that does have holes lager than the target at the range of impact. I like #8 shot at 16 yds because it puts a little more lead out. However, I am VERY quick on the trigger at 16 and most hits are "smoke" even with an open choke. If you are slower on the trigger the smaller shot may cost you targets at longer range unless you tighten the choke.

From 16 yrds I generally will shoot a modified or improved cylinder in competition depending on weather and wind conditions. I generally tighten the choke and move to a 71/2 shot for handicap when money is on the line. I always practice with the tightest chokes I have with 1oz loads. For competition I use heavy loads with as much shot as possible. Of course if you are just shooting for fun use what you have. When the money is on the line take all advantages.

It is best that you experiment with the shot and chokes to adjust to your "quickness" and the range you generally engage your targets. Once you figure out your general range of impact you can use a pattern board to play with shot density patterns using various chokes and shot size. If all your targets are "smoke" I would open the choke and see what happens.
Old December 26, 2013, 04:07 PM   #13
BigJimP

LMS - its fine that you think more shot is better / but we'll just have to agree to disagree..../ there are some studies on my side about the improved patterns in a 12ga for 1 oz loads..../ but you can probably find articles saying 1 1/8 oz is better too ....( and I used to think like you did, more has to be better ...and 7 1/2's were the only thing I shot, all in 1 1/8 oz in the 1980's and into the 1990's )....

My buddies and I, when we shoot Trap singles from the 16yard line ....we'll each manage at least one 25 out of 4 rounds ( 100 targets ) ....but for the most part, depending on the day, we all shoot scores in the area of a 92 - 97 or so, out of a 100 - kind of depends on the day / but for the most part with 1 oz or 7/8 loads of 8's.../..... lots of 23's and 24's...among my buddies. We are all past our "shooting prime" these days ...all of us are in our 60's and 70's...( some of those guys used to be Really Good)...!

I don't know anyone that is shooting 1 1/8 oz for 16 yard singles anymore ...at least not in our casual group of shooters...we're not tournament Trap shooters. Most of us used to be tournament Skeet and Sporting clays shooters....and most of us shoot 6 - 10 boxes a week - all for fun - weather permitting.../ we just don't shoot much Trap (maybe 20 rounds a year is all )..../ but we all have some nice Trap guns ( Browning BT 100's, BT 99's - and XT's -- one guy shoots a Krieghoff KX-5).../ all in 32" or 34"...( so we look cool !! )....even if we can't shoot...

Its been a long time since I ran a 100 straight in Trap ....but even when I've done it, I've shot my same 1 oz loads of 8's at 1225 fps....its been my primary 12ga shell for at least 15 yrs...( for Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays)....and I won't pretend my scores are good enough to win tournaments - they are not ......the only big tournament titles I've ever won, were sporting clays tournaments, in 28ga. I've come in 2nd or 3rd a few more times...in 12ga events...but never won a big one in 12ga.

( heck its been a long time since I've run 100 straight in skeet too / in any gague .... ...but we keep trying to relive our youth - and wish for better eyesight - / and good knees and backs...).... / these days, even in Skeet, any score in the 90's is not a bad day ...can't eat em anyway ...and you have to let a few of them go, so you have something to do next week !

Last edited by BigJimP; December 26, 2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old December 27, 2013, 10:42 PM   #14
LMS

BigJim;

Yep - I guess we just disagree. You and your friends are very respectable shooters. Averaging mid 90's is plenty good!

But I do agree - there is evidence of better patterns with 1oz than with 1.125 oz.

I do shoot ATA registered birds, but I have tapered off in the last couple years. I am reminded of a quote from one of the big dogs (either Phil Kiner or Harlan Campbell JR, don't remember which), who was asked why he shoots 1 1/8 oz loads. His answer - "because I am not allowed to shoot 1 1/4 oz!"

I know 100's of competitive trap shooters, and the ones scoring the best and winning tourneys are throwing as much lead as they are legally allowed.

But I do also know lots of guys shooting 1oz and they score okay and are having fun. Nothing wrong wrong with that, especially for the casual shooter.

Regards;

LMS
Old December 27, 2013, 11:08 PM   #15
BigD_in_FL123

LMS

You should try International then where the max allowed is 24 grams (about 7/8), the targets are physically harder as they are thrown 50% faster (63 versus 42mph) and yet when they reduced the payload from 28 to 24 grams, the scores went UP. Scores have gone up from folks switching to 7/8 and 1 oz from 1-1/8 on skeet, sporting clays FITASC, International trap, International skeet, etc. Only US trap allows a heavy payload and most of those folks have real nasty flinches resulting in the use of release triggers.

I know one All American, now 70, who shot trap for about 50 years and now shoots sporting clays. he uses a Beretta gas gun, heavily weighted to almost 9 pounds and he still needs a release trigger due to flinches from years of max trap loads. If you center your shot, then you do not need that extra punishment to the shoulder.
Old December 28, 2013, 04:09 PM   #16
BigJimP

Thanks LMS, --- my buddies and I are more legends in our own minds.../ but we do have fun...

A lot of my buddies are retired...and with the price of shot going up all the time...the trend in my group of friends is 3/4 oz of shot in 12ga ....and 3/4 oz of shot in the 20ga ...( because the 20ga hulls are more durable than most of the 28ga hulls ) - shooting a 28ga load (3/4 oz ) in a 20ga hull...for Skeet especially is just fine.

But we're only shooting for fun ...not registered targets.
Old December 28, 2013, 08:28 PM   #17
JimDandy

I have the answer to the 1oz vs 7/8oz question.

I shot a round of 1 1/8 oz 8 shot. Score: 19

I shot a round of 7/8 oz 8 shot. Score: 19

So for people who can barely hit the broad side of the barn, it doesn't matter.
Old December 28, 2013, 10:44 PM   #18
darkgael

trap

I lowered the weight of my shot load from 1 1/8th oz. of #8s to 1 oz. No change in score.
I lowered it to 7/8ths and then to 3/4 oz. no change in score.

Quote:
At 16 yards you want the most open pattern you can get that does have holes lager than the target at the range of impact. I like #8 shot at 16 yds because it puts a little more lead out. However, I am VERY quick on the trigger at 16 and most hits are "smoke" even with an open choke. If you are slower on the trigger the smaller shot may cost you targets at longer range unless you tighten the choke.
You don't actually mean 16 yards, do you? The edge of the Trap house is at 16 yards.
Pete
Old December 31, 2013, 08:59 PM   #19
gvw3

I use IM but my son uses a full. He beats me every week. He shoots 95+. If I get near the 90's its a good week.
Old January 2, 2014, 04:02 AM   #20
Bake

7/8, 1, or 1 1/8 oz., #8's or #7 1/2's: just go to the patterning board, see what your pattern looks like at what ever range you shoot at. 16 yards + slow hands= 36 yds. Fast hands, move in.