The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 3, 2012, 09:14 PM   #1
UncleLoodis

Polishing Additives

I have been using Dillon's "Rapid Polish 290" and walnut media...gets things shiny and clean pretty quickly. However, I thought I saw once that someone said they use something instead of Dillon's liquid polish. Do any of you use something that works like Rapid Polish 290, but is cheaper? I realize that it probably only leaves maybe a trace residue on the inside of the case. I wonder if using something else--if that trace would interact with the powder and cause negative results if the rounds are stored a long time.

Thanks in advance.

U.L.
Old October 3, 2012, 09:20 PM   #2
tkglazie

nufinish
Old October 3, 2012, 09:50 PM   #3
jcwit

Any liquid auto cleaner polish, ie: Nu-Finish, Turtle Wax, Meguiar's, etc., etc. They all work excellent. Remember in this case less is more.
Old October 3, 2012, 10:13 PM   #4
Misssissippi Dave

Nufinish or turtle wax and make 50% of your media 20/40 corncob. This will make things very shinny. If you are willing to wait another 20 years or so I will be able to give you some good information about the long run. This is providing I'm not dead and there isn't a great long ammo drought where I am forced to shoot all my ammo.

When I start using a new batch of media the first time I only put in the Dillon polish. The next batch gets the car wax. After that everyother batch or so I put just a little additional wax to the mix. When it won't clean very well any more it all starts over with new media. I clean over 4000 rounds before the media gets replaced.
Old October 3, 2012, 10:16 PM   #5
tkglazie

Quote:
When I start using a new batch of media the first time I only put in the Dillon polish. The next batch gets the car wax. After that everyother batch or so I put just a little additional wax to the mix. When it won't clean very well any more it all starts over with new media. I clean over 4000 rounds before the media gets replaced.
not that you really need to, but if you want to double or triple that number throw a few strips of used dryer fabric in with each load. the fabric absorbs the dust and grime.
Old October 3, 2012, 10:57 PM   #6
Misssissippi Dave

I keep forgetting to get some more dryer sheets. We use liquid for the wash. They do help a lot when used.
Old October 3, 2012, 11:03 PM   #7
FloridaVeteran

tkglazie - thanks for the tip on the dryer fabric.

As for polish, I suppose it is due to laziness that instead of car polish I use Frankford Arsenal's - it looks and smells just like Brasso to me and Lord knows, I used a whole lot of Brasso in my life.
Old October 3, 2012, 11:30 PM   #8
UncleLoodis

thanks

Thanks! As always, I knew I could find good answers here.

U.L.
Old October 4, 2012, 03:30 PM   #9
5R milspec

I don't use the dryer sheets for their real reason.So I just get me mom to save them for me.Every ounce and a while she will bring me a gallon Zip-lock bag slam full.Gotta love the moms for reasons like this.
Old October 4, 2012, 05:24 PM   #10
PTaylor

If I have a lot of crud on mine, I run them with straight corn cob or walnut. If they are once fired and pretty clean, I polish with plain white rice and a cap full of nufinish car polish. Works like a champ.
Old October 4, 2012, 05:51 PM   #11
fishbones182

I have used nufinish but mostly flitz and frankford arsenal for me. I also use lizard bedding for media and it works great. A little dusty but i take it outside in a dish and can shake most of the dust off.