The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 16, 2011, 07:17 PM   #1
reinert

Rem. SA ejection problem

Hello,

I have a SA Rem. 700 BDL (.243) that won't throw the casing out of the receiver. Rounds chamber and clear the chamber just fine, but won't throw the casing out when cycling the bolt back. The little "claw" looks o.k., but the spring loaded rod that evidently throws the case out is sitting in there flush witht the bolt face. There's also brass all around the hole that the rod runs through. I believe that little rod should protrude about an eighth inch or so when the bolt is out of the rifle (?) I would imagine the spring may be broken inside the bolt, or is it possible that the brass may have built up enough that it's just stuck. Is this something I can fix with the right tool? I know there is a bolt tool(S) for the 700, but what exactly would I need to do the job (if it is something I could/should do at home without the services of a gunsmith).

Thanks,

reinert
Old December 16, 2011, 10:40 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

First try hitting the front of the bolt hard with a plastic mallet or a solid block of wood to see if the ejector can be jarred loose. If that fails, the ejector is held in by a small pin through the bolt that will have to be driven out. (Don't confuse that pin with the positioning pin for the extractor!)

With the retaining pin out, the ejector can be pressed in, then released repeatedly and eventually will usually come out. Some penetrant may help.

Jim
Old December 17, 2011, 09:13 AM   #3
reinert

Thanks James K, I really do appreciate the input. I've done a little net surfing too, and see that there's a tool to compress the plunger properly while punching out the roll pin. The comment was made that the tool just might keep you from searching for parts under the workbench with a magnet... Been there, done that with lots of other stuff aside from gun parts. Always a right tool for any job. Again, thanks for the input.

reinert