The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old January 19, 2010, 01:07 PM   #26
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
This new invention might be just the ticket for not only hunters, but sailors, wilderness campers and working cowboys.

However, because it's better for this forum as a whole to rigorously control avid trolls--and I know they exist on this matter--we all lose out.

It's a fine line, and I'm troubled that it exists. On this matter, however, tighter control is necessary.
There is no restriction under current rules preventing you from posting such information. The only difference is that there's not a "knife" forum. You simply have to choose if the information will be most readily visible to the most interested people if you post it under "The Hunt" as a reference to hunting knives, or "Gear and Accessories" as a generally useful item all-around.
Old January 19, 2010, 01:39 PM   #27
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Based on past history, sooner or later another moderator will wander by and say something like "This is a FIREARMS board. Having forums on non-firearms topics would be like [insert inappropriate body part] on a [insert incongruous animal]! Not gonna happen!! The next thing we know, you'd all be clamoring for a gaming forum! ""

You forgot "If you don't like it, you're certainly welcome to find another home on the net and shake the dust of this board from your shoes."

Let me share something with you all that I shared with the rest of the staff during discussions on this subject.

Question from another mod to me:

"Are there dedicated boards that handle any of the topics that would fit in the proposed forum much better? Of course there are, bladeforums immediately comes to mind. But is there no room for discussion of those same topics on TFL?"

My response (in part):

"As far as I"m concerned, there isn't. This is, first and foremost, a FIREARMS forum. It has been since its inception, and it has been by purpose and design. It is one of the VERY few "firearms" forums on the net whose focus isn't scattered amongst a bunch of ancillary disciplines and unrelated subjects, resulting in unfocused messes. After more than a decade of web surfing, I've run through more than my fair share of crap "firearms" forums, forums with little to no focus, scattered purposes and messages, and no cohesion amongst the members. Yet I'm still at TFL because its focus has remained sharp and its member direction hasn't been blowing with the latest prevailing wind."

That narrow focus is, I feel, the primary reason why TFL has been the long-term success that it has been as opposed to many other forums that have started up and folded over the years. I, personally, don't want to see that change.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 19, 2010, 04:10 PM   #28
The Tourist

Mike, that's the point. Most of us sadly agree with you.
Old January 19, 2010, 04:53 PM   #29
Evan Thomas

Indeed. And it's why we're here, as well.
Old January 23, 2010, 10:11 AM   #30
rickyjames

i agree. i'm sure everyone here is a fan of knives, archery is also popular and with the advancements in air guns they are not just for kids anymore.
Old January 23, 2010, 10:56 AM   #31
Mal H
Staff

It's not clear what you agree with, rickyjames. Is it the suggestion to create a non-firearms forum or the firm decision to not create one?
Old January 24, 2010, 09:17 AM   #32
stargazer65

KFC has done well because they do one thing and do it right. I would stick with the formula here.