The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 29, 2009, 06:27 AM   #1
Bobrm2

New Member, other Dies for Lee Classic Cast Press

At the tender age of 62, I've decided to learn to load my own .45 cal. Lurking around trying to decide what questions to ask, Needing information about dies that might fit in the Lee Classic Cast press (haven't bought the press but it seems to fit my needs). The Lee .45 cal dies are on back order.

Any help will be most appreciated.

Bob
Old July 29, 2009, 07:01 AM   #2
rwilson452

You will find that with rare exception any major mfg dies will fit the Classic Cast.
Old July 29, 2009, 08:11 AM   #3
floydster

I have the Lee Classic Cast single stage, it is a good press.
I use the Hornady LNL bushing's on my dies, that way you can change dies out in a matter of seconds without re-adjusting.
Floydster
Old July 29, 2009, 10:32 AM   #4
Sevens

There are three dies I can think of that WILL NOT fit a Classic Cast.
1) The Dillon dies that they sell for use with the Square Deal B press
2) Old Lyman 310 tong tool specific dies
3) .50 BMG large thread dies if you DON'T have the Classic Cast with the adaptor ring

All the rest of the reloading dies you might be able to find should work. You can use $20 Lee dies or $250 Redding superduper dies and anything in between.

It's pretty much an industry standard.
Old July 29, 2009, 09:29 PM   #5
Bobrm2

New Member, other Dies for Lee Classic Cast Press

Thank you all, Lot to learn.

Bob
Old July 29, 2009, 10:00 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

Except for the aforementioned special cases, they are all an industry standard thread of 7/8"-14 tpi.

Which .45 are you loading for?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 29, 2009, 10:32 PM   #7
Farmland

Just a quick note on the Dillon dies. It will not have the expander die, because the case expansion is done through the powder funnel.
Old July 30, 2009, 08:24 AM   #8
Bobrm2

Unclenick

Purchased a Tarus 1911; early this year. Last one processed was goverment issue in 1966.

Bob
Old July 30, 2009, 03:07 PM   #9
flashhole

You might want to consider the Lee Classic Cast Turret. I bought one for loading 40 S&W and I bought the Lee Carbide die set too. No complaints. The reason I suggest the turret is the single stage requires you batch load, one step at a time. It's convienient for rifle cartridges but not so for pistol loads. The Lee comes with a removable auto indexer that can be removed for single stage operation.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old July 30, 2009, 06:07 PM   #10
Russ5924

YES go with the Lee Turret press if all you are going to do is pistol. Have you tried Cabelas and Midway plus many many more. Or go to Lee direct it cost more but you may get them. I had to do that this year to get a set of .44 Mag dies and still took a month but I did get them
Old July 31, 2009, 06:48 PM   #11
exbluelight

I think I have posted this before on the forum but....... try Cabela's Lee Classic Turrent Press Kit
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1
It comes with both large & small primer feeds, & Auto Disc Riser to make it easier to use other brands of dies, along with all the other extras. I priced it all out seperate & it is a savings. Great value for the money. Ordered mine on a Monday, Arrived on a Friday. Nothing backordered. ebl
Old August 12, 2009, 09:33 AM   #12
Bobrm2

Lee Turret Class Cast

Thanks, really have looked the Lee web site, checking comments. Just bought Lee equiptment for casting bullets, waiting on Midway's shipment. Will go back and check out the turret press. Is there a greater tendency to double load on a turret press? Thanks for the information.

Bob
Old August 12, 2009, 09:46 AM   #13
Kyo

You can if you don't pay attention, but its kinda hard, since on the down stroke the auto index changes what die you have. You can use it as a single stage. I can see someone double charging if they put the shell into the Auto-powder index thingy twice with the arm. Pretty much you would have to lift it up into the powder die, put it down half way, and then raise it all the way up again.
Old August 12, 2009, 10:17 AM   #14
dsv424

Another way to prevent double charges is to use powders that fill the volume of the case 1/2 way or more. This way when or if you accidentally double charge it is real noticable since it will be filled to the very top or over flowing.
I also have the Lee Classic Turret and it is a very good press for your needs. You may want to check Kempf's Gun Shop for the press they have a very nice kit that is reasonably priced. The only thing not included is a scale.
Old August 12, 2009, 04:38 PM   #15
NWPilgrim

Quote:
Another way to prevent double charges is to use powders that fill the volume of the case 1/2 way or more.
That is what I have moved toward. On one hand, if you use the faster powders you need less weight of powder, which means you get more loads per pound (cheaper). But then you have the risk of overcharging and often the faster powders are only at their best with light for caliber bullets (not always).

In rifle cartridges this not so much a problem. But in handguns a fast powder can only fill 1/4 or less of the case. I have started using Unique and Universal instead of Bullseye or WW231 since they will fill the case more and a double charge will spill out or be so close to the top it is noticeable.

In rifle I like the Varget, H4895, IMR4064 powders (Reloader 15 should be about the same) for .223, .308 and .30-06. Varget fills a .223 case.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old August 13, 2009, 08:17 PM   #16
Jim243

Bob you can double charge a case with either press, you are the safety officer when reloading. Don't let anything or anyone distract you. I use the turret press for all handgun loads, just pull the handle after you drop a powder load and there will be no problems since it moves the case to the next station. If I pull a load to weigh the load to check the weight, I use my funnel to drop the powder back in the case and set the head since I am already at the next station on the press. Just make sure you have suffecient powder in your hopper, you don't want to think you dropped a load and find that you just have a primer and no powder in the case.
Old August 13, 2009, 08:25 PM   #17
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Try Lee Factory Sales for the press and dies. I just bought my own setup from them. They had the lowest prices and their service is excellent.

If you get the turret press be sure to get the CLASSIC version as it is cast. You can put together the same parts that come in the kit for something like $30 more but have the cast press instead.

http://www.factorysales.com/
Old August 14, 2009, 01:31 AM   #18
Kyo

you should really be able to tell if you over load a cartridge. I mean, my 45 can hold like 13+ grains. I think I would be able to tell when I have a double charge. I do 4.5/4.6 so 9 grains would be very noticeable.
Old August 14, 2009, 06:06 AM   #19
flashhole

FWIW - I've dealt with Lee Factory Sales a number of times. Their service is spotty at best. I don't like the fact they charge your credit card at the time of order and tell you the stuff you want is on backorder with no delivery date. They should not charge your card until goods are shipped. They will back out the charges if you call them on it but that's just not right.

Are you ready for civil war?