The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 11, 2005, 04:08 PM   #1
gxi.llc

Is the "Acu Wedge" really a good idea?

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but wouldn't keeping tension on these parts during firing only serve to make them wear more and fit even worse? Would tensioning pins be any better?
Old January 11, 2005, 06:31 PM   #2
sleeping dog

If the top & bottom are a really sloppy fit, rattling as you wield the rifle, then maybe the wedge will quiet it down. And if that quiet solid feel makes you shoot better then it was a good idea. I don't think it'll do any harm, and I don't think it'll make the gun more accurate - everything to do with aiming is on the upper part.

If the top & bottom are a pretty good fit, not much movement, then it's probably not worth getting a wedge or tensioning pin.

Regards.
Old January 11, 2005, 08:45 PM   #3
DT Guy

I'd think that loose parts would suffer more impact during recoil, and I'd worry about that more than a tight fit.

That said, I put one on my Bushy because I couldn't stand the rattle (I can't stand ANYTHING that rattles, though), not to enhance accuracy or durability.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old January 12, 2005, 04:53 PM   #4
RickB

The wedge silences the rattle my pushing the upper an lower apart. It might be quiet, but that doesn't seem to be a very good solution. The JP pin stops the rattle by drawing the parts together, which seems to be a more elegant solution.

Last edited by RickB; January 13, 2005 at 01:42 PM.
Old January 13, 2005, 12:06 AM   #5
ClarkEMyers

I'll buy Clint McKee's answer in the Fulton FAQ

I'll buy Clint McKee's answer in the Fulton FAQ - and the folks at Sinclair seem to agree. I guess tension is better than a running start and pulled together is better than pushed apart and buffered.