The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 10, 2013, 05:45 PM   #26
Wyoredman

Very interesting conversation.

I live on one of the main routes to Yellowstone National Park, so in the summer I see carloads of folks roll by every day from every part of the country, Europe, South America, etc. Some in busses, some in cars, some in Rv's and many on bicycles!

I often wondered if they really understand how many Wyoming cars they pass on the highways have firearms? They don't realize that it is at least a 50/50 chance that the local parked at the next gas pump is armed! I wonder if they did know, would they be nervous and fearful?

I suspect they don't know.

Just an observation.
Old July 10, 2013, 07:32 PM   #27
BigD_in_FL

And they would prefer to remain ignorant after all, ignorance is bliss!
Old July 10, 2013, 08:46 PM   #28
SgtLumpy

I think a very important observation in all this is that there are non-gunners and there are anti-gunners.

We probably stand a huge chance of winning the hearts and minds of the non-gunners. Even if they don't become gunners. They might come to realize "Gee, my neighbor Craig is a gunner and he's a good guy".

We'll probably never convert many anti-gunners. But if we're not careful, we might convert some non-gunners into anti-gunners.

Sgt Lumpy
Old July 10, 2013, 09:17 PM   #29
wayneinFL

Quote:
I live on one of the main routes to Yellowstone National Park, so in the summer I see carloads of folks roll by every day from every part of the country, Europe, South America, etc. Some in busses, some in cars, some in Rv's and many on bicycles!

I often wondered if they really understand how many Wyoming cars they pass on the highways have firearms? They don't realize that it is at least a 50/50 chance that the local parked at the next gas pump is armed! I wonder if they did know, would they be nervous and fearful?
I've been working in Orlando the last couple of months. I'm wondering the same thing. When I was a kid, I knew a lot of people who hunted and stuff like that, but I didn't realize how many people kept handguns in their cars until 10 or 15 years ago. When I was a kid working in a garage, we used to find them sometimes, but not all that often, because most people take them out before they have their car serviced.

I was always interested in firearms for recreational purposes when I was a kid. My dad was more into fishing, so we fished. But I planned to buy a 22 rifle when I turned 18, and learn to shoot. When I turned 18 and had the money saved up, my wife nixed that idea. I just kinda put that idea on the back burner.

When I found out how many people were carrying/kept a handgun in their vehicles at work, I started asking questions. I honestly had no idea what was legal without a permit, or how easy it was to get a permit. It turned out my supervisor and several of my coworkers had permits. I decided to do it. The wife budged, because I was working in some pretty dicey areas, and I bought my first handgun.

That led to a hobby that included IPSC, hunting, and collecting, and my wife wasn't really happy with it. Her dad had guns, and she had been shooting with her dad once or twice, so it perplexed me that she had such a problem with it. I guess she just never really had any positive experiences shooting with her dad, and always heard all the negative stuff from the media. After 24 years of marriage, she finally went shooting with me last weekend. Just a short range trip- we put about 50 rounds through a little 32 revolver I happened to be carrying. I wouldn't say she's hooked, but she is a pretty good shot, and I think she'll go with me again sometime.
Old July 10, 2013, 09:37 PM   #30
pgdion

I always tell people who criticize the sport that they have to try shooting with Simone and spending some time with them before they talk. Most of what's taken as bad is from completely not understanding the sport or the people (amount of ammo is a classic example ... 100 rounds is completely useless for anyone who shoots much). Once you see the sport with an open mind, most peoples views change. I' be converted dozens just by talking to them and taking them shooting.
Old July 10, 2013, 11:29 PM   #31
SgtLumpy

Quote:
they have to try shooting with Simone
I'm laughing at myself for how long I took to figure out that was a typo for "shooting with someone". I didn't know what "Shooting with Simone" was so I googled all kinds of variants.

Sgt Lumpy
Old July 11, 2013, 08:33 AM   #32
Louca

Quote:
We'll probably never convert many anti-gunners. But if we're not careful, we might convert some non-gunners into anti-gunners.
That is true. How we behave has a big impact on non- and anti-gun folks.

But do not write-off reaching the anit-gunners. Remember, the foundation for many of their stances is based on mis-information, hype, emotionalism, and just plain lies. "Conversion" of an anti-gunner can be done. It's just done in a different way than the non-gun person.

Lou
Old July 11, 2013, 05:05 PM   #33
pgdion

Now I'm laughing too doctoring ... Darn mini touch pads and big fingers!
Old July 13, 2013, 04:17 PM   #34
EveryCaliber

I like to put anti-gunners at ease by explaining to them that for me, shooting is mostly a relaxing game of skill - not unlike throwing darts - but with the added bonus of self protection.