The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 7, 2006, 12:08 PM   #1
aspen1964

Reading old hunting magazine articles...

..do any of the old-timers get a kick out of looking at old magazine articles as much as I do..I have a big collection of outdoor magazines and very often refer to pieces written by Col. Townsend Whelen, Pete Brown, Howard Hill, Ted Trueblood, John Jobson, Bill Wolf, Ray Holland, Jason Lucas(fishing), Jim Crossman and many others...........not ever forgetting the uncomparable humor of Ed Zern....although I am only 42, I developed an appreciation for these writers of past years with their insights and opinions while still a teenager...
Old May 7, 2006, 12:57 PM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

I'm a real fan of the classic writers. They were far more interested in instruction than personality.

If you really enjoy the classics a must have is The Marksmanship Primer, edited by Jim Casada:
Quote:
The 480-page book includes information and insight from many of the greatest authorities on accurate shooting - Charles Asks, Jack O'Connor, Townsend Whelen, Bryce Towsley, Wayne Van Zwoll, and a host of others - along with my editorial input. The book comes with a gold-embossed flexible leather cover
Available for purchase at http://www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com/Books.htm
Rich
Old May 7, 2006, 02:04 PM   #3
swampdog

I've been reading "Gun Notes" by Elmer Keith. This is a collection of his Guns and Ammo articles from 1961-81. I find the total political "incorrectness" to be very refreshing. Golden Eagles as varmints. Can you imagine the outcry?

I used to have a large collection of G&A, Shooting Times, and Field and Stream from the late 70's-early 80's. Through a couple of moves and a divorce, they kind of got away from me. My mentors growing up were all readers. I read what they had available. I agree, the older guys were more about instruction than personality. There were some pretty famous "ego" battles, though. It made for interesting reading.
Old May 7, 2006, 04:38 PM   #4
mete

I remember as a kid eagerly awaiting the newspaper to read the columns by Robert Ruark !! Hemingway's books are still available. For the best writing ,a fantastic use of the english language, read T Roosevelts books about Africa !
Old May 8, 2006, 09:32 PM   #5
22-rimfire

As a kid, I subscribed with Outdoor Life and Fur Fish & Game for years. My brother subscribed to Field & Stream. We shared and read them cover to cover. Those magazines were important in learning about hunting and shooting sports in general. Loved what we consider the old writers. Now I dig though old issues from time to time and read them. But most of the old issues have succumbed to the landfill after several moves (numerous boxes of magazines) and other priotities. It is also fun to read the articles in old Shooters Bibles and Gun Digests as I have a fairly good collection of these. Now I have subscriptions to Outdoor Life, Field & Stream, Shooting Times, American Hunter, Tennessee Sportsman, and a few others that I subscribe to from time to time like Blade, Guns, and others. I go through periods were I read them to death and others where I hardly look at them. I suspect I read the hunting and shooting articles and generally don't read the fishing stories unless they are about trout fishing. Still look forward to the next issue though.