The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

View Poll Results: Fully Auto SMG for Car
MP5K by H&K 17 85.00%
UZI by IMI 3 15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 5, 2007, 07:35 AM   #26
30 cal slut

with the right amount of practice you can shoot singles, doubles, and triples with an MP-5 using the full-auto setting only.

no need for a burst setting.
Old June 5, 2007, 01:34 PM   #27
James K
Member In Memoriam

In the U.S., use of a registered full auto for defense is not a good idea. Guns used in defense, even when the shooter is not arrested, tend to be seized by the police and sort of disappear or be returned in less than pristine condition.

I strongly recommend that NO valuable or irreplaceable gun be carried on the person or in a vehicle. Get a good, reliable gun, but leave the auto weapons and super-duper sexed up 1911s with the diamond inserts and gold plating at home. When you are confronted by the cops and told to "drop the gun" it is not good to have to drop a $700 gun; having to drop a $5000 pistol or a $25,000 machinegun would be painful enough to cause hesitation, and hesitation could be fatal.

Jim
Old June 5, 2007, 01:46 PM   #28
Powderman

Jim, the OP lives in Pakistan, and has access to the goodies we can't really get anymore (without paying arm, leg, and backbone, that is!!!)
Old June 5, 2007, 02:24 PM   #29
Caimlas

It would seem to me that a SMG might be a little unwieldy for car use - too long and heavy for one handed use.

Why not get a Glock 18? I don't care for Glocks, but hey, they'd fit the bill. Get one of those attachable stocks for it and a small, low-profile red dot and you'd have yourself a nice, small, light, maneuverable SMG with a 30-round capacity. Added bonus: if you can carry a SMG, you can carry a full-auto and have it double for car duty.

That's what I'd do, at least.
Old June 19, 2007, 10:05 PM   #30
RsqVet

Sir ---

Given your local and the cost I presume if you are considering this it is not without just cause, and may you and your family stay safe and have no need of the weapon.

As to the Sub guns you will not go wrong with a MP5, they are almost indestructable and as they are still being made by POF you can be assured of a reasonable parts supply, most MP5 acessories interchange and I belive (thought there are far, far more learned MP5 hands around here) one can add the PDW stock by removing the reciver but cap and installing the apropriate stock, whihc I believe was made by Chote here in the States, they even had a harness to carry it under your arm and more or less automatically deploy when brought up and into use.

Since it's a stock it may not be hard to get one imported esp if you coudl find an individual with one for sale here.

The MP5 is near profection in my book (other than caliber) and the MP5K can be easilly carried in a breif case or backpack as well.... might help for the daily comming and going of live.

As to the Uzi, given the political issues with import and export of parts I'd stay clear the MP5 is a better gun and if you proctice much then sooner or latter you will need some parts or another... you would not want to set sidelind for want of a small part.

The glock 18 is nice, if you can carry in public maybe it would be a good option as you could add a sholder stock and 33 round mag when needed, otherwise again you are better off with the Mp5

The Swiss arms 550 series are wonderfull guns and 5.56 is superior to 9mm, however agian if they are rare (they are here as well even in semi-auto, due to import laws) in your county cost, parts and other considerations overule the advantages.

Have you considered some of the compact kalisnikov type guns? They lack grace and refinement, but they work and I would think in most any economy would be the lower cost option.

Or what about M16 series guns? Here in the states there are as short as 9 inch or so barrels available for them, collapsing stocks and so forth, and you can have mutiple uppers and run them on the same lower gun... good for spare parts and for switching between a very compact gun and more of a traditional long arm.

Just food for thought, stay safe.
Old June 21, 2007, 04:07 PM   #31
Lavid2002

Hey

Im a huge fan of the UMD's butt he mp5 is a blast! We has machinge gun day at the ranges and i got a chance to shoot the mp40, thompson, Uzi, mp5, and UMD, I even got to shoot an m16(not ar15). It was a blast
BUT!
Uzi is my favorite!
Mp5 is a great firearm dont get me wrong, but with reliability its as good as an uzi, and uzi stays on target better, they both shoot 9mmX19 round although the UZI just stayed on target better on fully automatic. Try it its amazing.
Old June 28, 2007, 09:36 PM   #32
Five-seveNmaniac

if beretta still made them i would recommend the Beretta model 93R,
that was such a great machine pistol.
Old June 30, 2007, 12:09 PM   #33
douglasschuckert

Both!

Facts are these (IMHO).

1. You can not adequately compare the two smg's. Its just not fairly possible.

1. The UZI is a open bolt gun. The MP5 is closed bolt.
2. The UZI is capable of operating in 3 calibers. The MP5 is just 1.

(ok.. dont go beating me up because I say its only 9mm. I know its made in 40 and there are even .22 conversion units-that dont work-out there, and yes.. they did make trials of 10mm and even .45... but what do you see to be 99% out there only?.... yup.. the 9mm- enough said)...

3. If you want available parts ... they're just about even. There are just as many smiths capable of working on an UZI as the MP5. The MP5 has more accessories available to it, but replacement parts, the two are even.

4. The UZI is far simpler in operation than the MP5. KISS at its best.

5. Both offer about the same in reliability. Both are damn near indestructible.

6. The popular vote will and always has, gone to the MP5. The UZI is 'old' technology (so is the MP5, but who knows.)...

7. Personally I've used both in combat situations, and can attest to both of their mission effectiveness. Neither is any better than the other in a real-world practical use. Neither tends to malfunction caked in sand and mud, and both are ageless designs. The only thing the UZI has over the MP5 is the ability to use a real bullet (the .45 ... ok im biased to that caliber, but for good damn reason. Its saved my life on two separate occasions).

Its a personal choice. Would I carry the UZI over the MP5? Depends on mission needs. For a personal gun? Probably not. The MP5 is far less ominous to the untrained eye. In combat? If most of my fellow operators carried it too.. then hell yes. In a heart beat. But in combat units, you want to carry the same tools your swimbuddy carries so parts and stuff interchange. (I.e replacement parts, ammo, and magazines).

Bottom line… You cant go wrong with either weapon. On the transferable side of the house-What do you want? You’ve got more bragging rights with the MP5, but you also have to pay for it. 16:20k-USD on average. The UZI will cost about half that and you'll have to contend with a lot more politics as the UZI is more identifiable.
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Fe...d.aspx?id=2668 - HR 1022 Assault Weapons Ban & Law Enforcement Protection Act (2007) http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/409898348 - Online Petition against! DO YOUR PART, WRITE YOUR DAMN REP, and DEMAND VETO!
Old July 3, 2007, 12:22 PM   #34
SpookBoy

If you want a cannon in a VERY compact package you can even go up to 7.62nato in the dsa osw, very nice, also would be my choice in your situation

also I appologize if I get your hopes up & there is no availability in your area.
But in response to your question I've shot both the mp-5 & the full-sized uzi, the mp5 had me stuck from the word go.

"Once you familiarize yourself with the chains of bondage , You prepare your own limbs to wear them."
- Abraham Lincoln
Old July 3, 2007, 07:25 PM   #35
w_houle

I am having a hard time figureing out how to say this... lets try this you can hide the mp-5 in a shoot through briefcase, and that's neat
Old July 3, 2007, 09:16 PM   #36
ws6_keith

The first thing I'd want to know is what is the possible situation you see arising? Not being from over there, I don't know what you are trying to protect yourself from. You say you have to be able to shoot from within the vehicle...ok, but at what/who and how many?

Can you lay out a possible scenario? Several weapons fit your criteria in my opinion.
Old July 4, 2007, 11:57 AM   #37
Evil Monkey

If you really need something as big as an MP5 in the car with you, I'd rather have an AKSU74 or HK53, or any other compact assault rifle for that matter.

The hell with 9mm. Save that for pistols.
BREAKING NEWS: Local man found in the street yelling "1911" and "45" while drooling, more at 11:00.
Old July 4, 2007, 12:22 PM   #38
Arizona Fusilier

On the Uzi discussion, we seem to have revolved around the original full-size and others have mentioned the micro-Uzi. There is another choice, the Mini-Uzi.

I own one, and think its a great compromise between a larger, bulkier, yet more controllable weapon and the convenience of a smaller, lightweight package. While I wouldn't want my life depending upon full-auto fire from a single hand, its still within the "doable" with this weapon, and is probably easier to bring into action within the confines of an automobile.

I would still concede, however, that the MP5 is the overall superior weapon.
Old September 12, 2007, 11:49 PM   #39
SpectreBlofeld

OneShotOnly,

Can you get your hands on one of these?

Able to use as pistol... has retractable stock for shoulder-firing... foregrip... and light armor-piercing five-seven ammunition...
Old September 13, 2007, 02:00 AM   #40
3 weelin geezer

I was thinking to myself: "isn't there something better suited to be gunning all those slow poke drivers on the Santa monica freeway out of the way than a smg?"

Now that I read a little farther I am left wondering what part of pakistan actually has laws to begin with? They look like such a backwards people right up there with the cannibals in the Congo. Well, at least in pictures anyways http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9xf62PKC5M
Old September 13, 2007, 05:12 AM   #41
oldbillthundercheif

Y'all are not going to have much luck throwing questions at oneshotonly as he was banned a while back, for what I don't know. We bounced a few e-mails off of each other a few weeks ago and he said he had some sort of run-in with a moderator.

I told him to sign up with a new name and tone it down the next time around, but I guess they banned his IP address as well.

I liked his threads but lots of people didn't. Too bad.
Old September 13, 2007, 07:14 AM   #42
Silvanus

I talked to him too via PM. Don't know why he was banned either. But anyway:

Quote:
and light armor-piercing five-seven ammunition...
That's not entirely true. The H&K shoots the 4.6x30 caliber. It's basically the same thing, though.
Old September 17, 2007, 03:02 PM   #43
SpectreBlofeld

Oops, I was thinking about the FN-90. Similar ballistics though...
Old September 17, 2007, 05:47 PM   #44
Silvanus

Yes, I also think it's pretty much the same. Of course H&K don't offer their MP-7 and the pistol (can't remember the name of that one) to the civilian market.
Old March 14, 2008, 04:40 AM   #45
Firepower!

MP5K

I think MP5 is the best SMG made ever. MP5K is an excellant weapon. I am trying to get PK06 which is MP5K made in Pakistan under HK license and issued by the consent of the President. I am after it. Its great weapon to have and I like the 3 burst option.

I also enjoy the SD to occasionally fire in the from lawn

Good to know you are still here Old Cheif. And you signature cannot be more accurate!
Old March 14, 2008, 07:58 PM   #46
douglasschuckert

Pakistani MP5

I'm currently a contractor in Pakistan, and a NFA fiend in the US. The MP5 you are talking about is a well built copy. Its built using H&K tooling. They have a rather hard time getting the sear timing down pat, but thats an easy fix by an MP5 smith.

If you live in the US, you will not be able to obtain that MP5. The importation will be EXTREMELY difficult to impossible, and if they were it would be a Post 86 Dealer Sample, and unavailable for private citizens. If you want an MP5 but cant afford the full auto version (18 to 25 thousand USD), then you might want to look into BobCat Weapons. They make the simi-auto version.. with practice you can learn to "bump-fire" it pretty well...
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Fe...d.aspx?id=2668 - HR 1022 Assault Weapons Ban & Law Enforcement Protection Act (2007) http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/409898348 - Online Petition against! DO YOUR PART, WRITE YOUR DAMN REP, and DEMAND VETO!
Old March 15, 2008, 03:13 AM   #47
Firepower!

No I dont live int he US. .. . what is bump fire...so far I have not seen it done?
Old March 15, 2008, 07:33 PM   #48
douglasschuckert

Bumpfiring is an art.. It really is.. What you do is basically this:

1. Hold your trigger finger in a locked position and use the steady hand to push the weapon against the locked finger. The recoil from the first shot will reset the trigger as it bounces off your locked finger resulting in a very rapid fire action simulating full auto fire. Go to YouTube.Com and search for "bump fire" or a derivative thereof and you can see it in action.

Where do you live?

(Please excuse my spelling. I do not feel like using a spell checker tonight)
Old March 15, 2008, 08:25 PM   #49
oldbillthundercheif

If bumpfiring is an art, it's the dumbest, most dangerous art I've ever seen.

It's a great way to spray projectiles wildly downrange with a significant risk of an out-of-battery fire spraying your crotch and midsection with high-velocity brass shards and fast-moving gun parts.

I think Firepower is in Pakistan. If so, he does not need moronic stunts to get his full-auto entertainment.

Pakistan... the land of the free (sort of), and the home of the brave.
Old March 15, 2008, 09:12 PM   #50
Webleymkv

For use inside a car, the Czech VZ61 Skorpion would seem almost ideal. It is quite compact and, due to the fact that it fires the .32ACP/7.65x17mm Browning cartridge, recoil should be more manageable than larger caliber guns of similar or smaller size. Here's a pic (the ten round magazine is shown but twenty round mags are also available)