The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 3, 2002, 04:20 PM   #1
HKguy9

Police Response time for home invasions

Is there a source online to view average response times for home invasion calls (whether real home invasions or the possoms knocking over trashcans) in Los Angeles?

Most people I know are of the "cops are lazy" mentality, yet are strangely of the "I'll call 911 and hide under the bed" mentality.
Old January 3, 2002, 05:19 PM   #2
KSFreeman

If you have a home invasion in SoKal, you should only call don'tshootit'sme, not LAPD or the Sheriff. Don't will come flying over on his mountain bike (often right through the picture window) and beat the stuffing out of the BGs with swift karate chops.
Old January 3, 2002, 07:02 PM   #3
C.R.Sam

Response time will vary with location, traffic, weather etc etc. Even if it is as little as five minutes, either you defended yourself or you are done for.

As noted above. 911 service is primarily for documenting the occaision.

Sam
Old January 3, 2002, 09:01 PM   #4
boogerbawb

There's one good thing about living in a county (Park) the size of Rhode Island that's covered by one deputy on the night shift; they more or less expect the bad guy to be assuming room temperature by the time they get there.

When I dispatched in a town of 40,000 in the Midwest, response time was well within 5 min or less on something of this nature, again, unless you lived way out in the county. I imagine Big City response time is about the same as county time. Remember, the Supreme Court says they are not there to protect YOU, only to protect SOCIETY.

Probably 95% of the cops we had were damn good, very professional, but think of what a nightmare it is for THEM to be entering a darkened house not knowing how many people there are, BGs vs. innocent civilians, who's armed and who isn't. Even with the very best response times, I'd advise dealing with the problem yourself with Glaser safety slugs in a pistol or a shotgun with birdshot to avoid over-penetration, especially in modern houses. Meet the boys in blue at the door under the porchlight with your hands empty and tell 'em what happened.
The most terrifying sound in nature is not the roar of a charging lion nor the whistle of a descending bomb; rather, it is a click when you expect to hear a bang." Peter Hathaway Capstick, or, "Why I hate the M16A1"
Old January 3, 2002, 11:54 PM   #5
Coronach

Easy answer: too long to matter

Whether its two minutes or two hours, either response time is too long.

I have run on a number of home-invasion calls...

Generous "average" (utterly non-scientific estime) response time: 3 minutes from time of call to first unit arriving on scene.

Average time of perps being in-house: 45 seconds to 1 minute, with the call for help being made after the perps were out the door.

You do the math. The cops MIGHT catch them as they make their escape, but thats after they have assaulted, robbed and possibly killed the victims.

Oh, and BTW, last time I checked most (not all) home invasions were drug dealers kicking in the doors of competitors and taking their stash and their cash.

Mike

PS and yes, as has been said, response time will vary massively, even in the same area. If I'm parked down the street, I'll be there in a few seconds. If my crew and I are all tied up on an accident scene on the other side of town, well...

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old January 4, 2002, 01:18 AM   #6
LASur5r+P

soCal response time?

As was ,mentioned earlier, depends on the community, police department, type of call, etc...how many other calls going on at the time.
Average time in my community (from personal experience on several calls_ 2 to 5 minutes every time. We are about 15 minutes east of L.A.) Talking to people in L.A. city...8 to 45 minutes in good areas. Bad areas? 45 minutes plus...
You think 2 minutes is fast? Try sitting in the dark while some drunk is pounding down your front door and you are about to drop the hammer on the first BG that comes through the front door. You still have to defend yourself like Sam said. At least until the BG leaves when the cavalry arrives, but what about the next time....? and I live in a good area..
Old January 4, 2002, 08:55 AM   #7
Rickmeister

Whatever the average time is for pizza delivery in your area.

Times two.

Old January 4, 2002, 11:17 AM   #8
Hellequin

As long as it takes to get you murdered-----or raped

Just kidding.
Old January 14, 2002, 07:52 PM   #9
striderteen

I live in a small suburb of a suburb of LA; only one and a half square miles -- yet we have 8 police cruisers and a motorcycle as well. Of course, three to four cruisers are sitting parked in the garage behind City Hall unless the PD's gone on alert -- still, a lotta cops for such a small town.

Average response time is five minutes, but in my part of town it's only about three.
Old January 14, 2002, 10:10 PM   #10
Glamdring

In my experiance here in the Midwest response time in most of the towns and smaller cities is VERY GOOD. About 3 to 5 minutes. When I was in college in our state's capital working security on campus LEO was our only backup and we were not supposed to carry even pepper spray or batons. LEO response time in that city was dismal, if you were lucky they would show up within 24 hours of the call. To be fair there weren't enough cops for city that size.

The fire department on the other hand was always there in just a couple of minutes.

Since then when I advise people about home security in areas were LEO response time is bad because of whatever reasons, I tell them to call fire department first. The typical Goblins are not going to wait to see if it is fire trucks or police trucks, and while they may know the difference in siren noise they still won't want the attention.

But as LASur5r+P says even a couple of minutes can be way to long.
Old January 16, 2002, 02:00 AM   #11
Lord Grey Boots

In the city of Vancouver BC, the average response time for a priority 1 call is 10.5 minutes as of a few years ago.

Thats right, and AVERAGE of 10.5 minutes.

Sarin Nerve Gas:FOUND Ricin Toxin:FOUND Mustard Gas:FOUND Long Range Rockets:FOUND Nuclear material:FOUND 20 tons of Chemical weapons:FOUND Al-Queda FOUND
Old January 16, 2002, 08:28 AM   #12
1goodshot

Regardless of response time, it will always be after the fact
Old January 16, 2002, 03:52 PM   #13
yorec

Not typical, but since it just happened last night - I got a phone call at 0230 in the a.m. I had just started sleeping well, but the dipatcher on the other end said she had just received a call of a domestic assault and the only officer on duty was on his way and needed backup. (Yup, I live in a small town with a small PD and we routinely have only one officer on duty after the deputies and highway patrol go home at a civilized hour...)

So I got up and went to the call, which I admit was only a couple of blocks away. After everything was taken care of I asked the dispatcher about our notification and arrival times - calculating response time for the administration. Initial officer's time was 4 minutes, he was out of his car on another call when the 911 came in, and my time was only 8 minutes from in bed and asleep to "on scene," and I had to scrape the ice off my car windows before leaving the house!

Definately not the average, but we do try.
Old January 17, 2002, 06:30 AM   #14
Quartus

yorec, you guys don't get paid enough in my book.

Thanks.

Better to know what you don't know than to think you know what you don't know.
Old January 17, 2002, 12:04 PM   #15
Bogie

The fastest response I've seen in my neighborhood was about five minutes. The initial calls involved a description of a naked woman running screaming (she had neglected taking some obviously greatly needed medication) down the middle of the street.

Half a dozen cars showed up.

That five minutes was enough for her boyfriend to get her clothes on her, her to discover her car keys in a pocket, get in her car, and tear around the general neighborhood a few times, culminating in doing donuts on some front lawns and almost causing a couple of actions, then leaping from her car, whereupon she was tackled by myself and a neighbor. Right when the cops showed up.

Proper response to cop after you tackle someone just a they pull up: Grab her! She's (*^)(*^ crazy! Whereupon the cop instructs you to let go... So you do. And she ran right over him, bounced off a car, and then another cop grabbed her... My neighbor and I weren't even questioned...

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old January 20, 2002, 02:23 PM   #16
Mannlicher

almost all the time, all the police can do with a home invasion situation is take pics of the dead, and fill out a report. If you want to live through one of these, be armed and ready to defend yourself. The paper in Miami is full of both scenerios. Clean up and report writing would be the only use I would ever have for 911.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old January 21, 2002, 04:58 AM   #17
M Gruber

I personally don't care when the police show up.
I guess they would show up sometime after I called them.

One thing is clear.
We don't know how long it will take the police to arrive.
We know they have no legal obligation to protect us.

My response time to any threat on my property is about 4 to 5 seconds.

I've trained with my firearms and continues to do so. I train as seriously as this topic suggests....it's life or death.

If you don't like guns or are not willing to train yourself to a high level of proficiency then spend your firearm money on loud alarms (so your neighbor can save you), reinforced doors, and a strong room.

If you have firearms for home defense then train yourself and stay with it.

I'm not going to sit back while some social disease takes over my house.

Criminal need to be caught.
Armed criminals need to be killed.
Sorry if that offends anybody.
Old February 6, 2002, 08:17 PM   #18
Mannlicher

Sometimes I think Miami is the home invasion capitol of America. Hardly a day goes by without our local TV stations reporting another one. Most of the time, the cops get there in plenty of time to write a report..............................

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan