The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 11, 2019, 11:49 PM   #1
Carmike

Scope for muzzleloader?

Hello all,

I've only used open sights on my muzzleloader, but my state now allows scopes, so I'm thinking about adding one to my CVA Optima.

I've heard different things about what scope to use. The guy at the local gun store said I needed a heavy-duty (expensive) scope because of the recoil. Others I've talked to use "regular" scopes for mid-recoil calibers without trouble.

The land I'm hunting does not require long shots. I can't see more than 100 yards and can't take a shot that long. Any advice on what to get?

Carmike
Old July 12, 2019, 06:38 AM   #2
Schlitz 45

IF I was ever going to scope a muzzleloader I’d have to go for the Josey Wales look.
https://hi-luxoptics.com/collections...ic-rifle-scope
Old July 12, 2019, 07:12 AM   #3
NoSecondBest

Carmike, what ever you get, here's the best advice you're ever going to get: Make sure it has at least 4" of eye relief. ML's recoil a bit more than most guns simply due to the large bore and light weight of some of the guns (like yours). The only time I ever got scoped in my life (I'm old and I shoot a LOT) was when I scoped a TC Encore with a 50cal barrel on it. The shot "impulse" will push the scope back enough that if you don't have a good bit of eye relief you're going to have a good chance of getting it above the eye. I have a few in-lines in 50cal and I'd suggest using just a simple fixed power on your gun. No more than 4x, and if it were me it would be a 2x. You can shoot ridiculously small groups even with low power scopes. If you think you might want a bit more for some occasion, look at a variable at 1.5-5x. Again, watch the eye relief.
Old July 12, 2019, 07:28 AM   #4
Doyle

I agree with NoSecondBest on the eye relief (not just for ML's though - that goes for all rifles). To me, one of the most important features is either a BDC or mildot reticle. Even the fastest shooting MLs are still "lobbing" bullets when compared to a high-powered centerfire. A BDC or mildot reticle makes holdover aiming easier.
Old July 12, 2019, 10:20 AM   #5
Rembrandt

Comes down to what your budget is and distance you'll be shooting. I've been using a Swarovski 3X9 on a Knight for almost 20 years. Sometimes taking shots out to 200 yards....that's where the higher magnification is a plus. Found quick release rings to be a real asset for cleaning purposes. Seems like that black powder soot residue gets on everything.
Old July 12, 2019, 01:38 PM   #6
jmr40

A 1-4X20n or similar variable has more magnification than you can use and will be the lightest most compact option. Several good options in the $200ish range. Many of them have the parrallax set at closer ranges and are designed for shotguns and muzzle loaders. Conventional scopes are usually set for 150 yards. Farther than you're likely to shoot.

https://www.swfa.com/leupold-15-4x20....html?___SID=U

Muzzle loader recoil is no more than other rifles, that isn't a concern.

Winston Churchill
Old July 12, 2019, 03:03 PM   #7
NoSecondBest

Quote:
Muzzle loader recoil is no more than other rifles, that isn't a concern.
As far as the law of physics goes, that is correct. Can't argue with Newton there. However, not many shooters are firing a 300g+ bullet out of a six pound rifle. Newton is still correct, it just shows up more in that situation. Your likelihood of getting scoped goes up as the bullet weight goes up and the rifle weight goes down. Many in-lines are quite light. Just something to be aware of. My in-lines are significantly less enjoyable to shoot than my heavier 45-70s are. It's pretty noticeable.
Old July 12, 2019, 03:26 PM   #8
Scorch

Quote:
As far as the law of physics goes, that is correct.
As far as physics goes, a 300 gr bullet out of a 6 lbs rifle doesn't kick hard at all. It's the hard, narrow butt plates on muzzleloaders that make people think they kick hard. Yes they are light, yes they have a big hole in the barrel, but velocities and therefore muzzle energies are pretty low (the whole "equal and opposite" thing).

As far as scopes go, most scope makers make a scope for muzzleloaders, typically low magnification with a fairly heavy reticle. Burris, Leupold, Nikon, etc, just check them out.
Old July 12, 2019, 03:41 PM   #9
Pahoo

One size does not fit all ...

You need a scope that is rated for Shotgun-M/L use. a good example is the Nikon Optimum series scopes. As noted, its "mainly about the eye relief but some M/L scopes have reticles for this use as well as different parallax. Again, reference the Nikon and it's specs. I have a couple of scopes that I would or perhaps should not use on a center fire rifle. …..

Take note that the OP is referring to an MML and "not" a Traditional. …

Check this page out;
https://www.swfa.com/catalogsearch/r...=shotgun+scope

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; July 12, 2019 at 03:53 PM.
Old July 12, 2019, 05:36 PM   #10
Carmike

Thanks for all the replies, gents.

Yeah, I was thinking about a fixed power. Frankly, I don't *need* a scope for the ranges I'll be shooting, but it seems like a strong majority of my chances on this property are within the last 10-15 minutes of legal shooting, so the light is very low and the scope will come in handy.
Old July 12, 2019, 07:56 PM   #11
Pahoo

Lots of inexpensive options.

Carmike
You have this listed in the hunting section, so I'm assuming that would be your primary service. Most of my deer have been taken under 75yds. You have so many options here, even down to a 1 X Diamond reticle, illumination or even a RedDot. I hunt Midwest country and have set up fixed power and RedDots for folks. I have also set up for our western states and that a slightly bit more involved. Again, There are so may great options and keep us posted on what you settled for. …..

Good Luck and;
Be Safe !!!
Old July 13, 2019, 11:06 AM   #12
NoSecondBest

I use red dots on all my handguns, and have for many years. I put one on my 1886 lever gun to see how well it would shoot. It not only shot well, but very well. The red dot is rated to handle those loads and it has a lifetime guarantee. For low light (or any light, it's adjustable), it works great. Probably well suited for your distances. I can easily get five shots under 1.7" at a measured 114 yards (my deck to my backstop). Some groups were smaller, none larger.
Old July 13, 2019, 03:27 PM   #13
Sure Shot Mc Gee

100 yard shot in good light? Probably the best distance over all the rest for success. Not to close for the quarry to smell its predator. Not that far away for the shooter to question his confidence. As to a scope?
Since 100 is the Max and that is you're preferred hunting spot day after day year after year. My opinion nothing more than a good quality variable 1 to 4 power. But~ purchase a good scope who's company has a known long standing reputation for quality.
I personally would like to own a Swarovski but that too is above my pay grade so those that I have which are scoped> Leupold glass & mounts. That's my recommendation Carmike.
Old July 13, 2019, 11:11 PM   #14
Carmike

I just reread my initial message and it wasn't quite clear. I could probably see a deer 100 yards away. No chance I'd be able to shoot through the trees and brush to hit it, though. Most shots are going to be less than 60 yards.

So yeah, as I said, I don't *need* a scope, but two years ago I had a chance at a shot right as shooting closed, and the open sites made it much harder than it would've been with a scope. Hence the question.

Thanks again, y'all.
Old July 24, 2019, 12:53 PM   #15
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I'm a believer big game know when their no longer visible thus allowing them to mosey around at whim. No doubt we've all experienced they always seem to show up after Legal shooting hours. Yes a scope will allow its shooter to hunt 5-8 minuets beyond legal shooting time >more time if< the scope has a bigger than usual objective bell or there is snow on the ground and a full moon.