The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 27, 2019, 01:02 PM   #1
Doyle

Is there an easier way to determine distance to lands on a pump rifle

The only way I know of to determine distance to lands on a pump/autoloader is the magic marker method. I guess you could use the Frankford Arsenal case gauge and some kind of bent stick to push the bullet up to the lands but that doesn't seem like it would be too accurate.

Anybody got any better ideas?
Old June 27, 2019, 04:07 PM   #2
sako2

Yes Hornady makes what you want. https://www.hornady.com/reloading/pr...ified-cases#!/. You want the curved model.
Old June 27, 2019, 04:54 PM   #3
F. Guffey

Quote:
Anybody got any better ideas?
Doyle, yes I do but there are 15 forum members that will disagree with me for ever suggestions I have.

My method/technique is the common sense deal. I could call my way the transfer way but as sure as I did someone would want to change the name to something that included head space and tension etc.

Anyhow, I make transfers, I transfer the dimensions of the chamber to the seating die.

Quote:
push the bullet up to the lands but that doesn't seem like it would be too accurate.
All a reloaders has to keep up with is the difference in length of the chamber from the datum to the bolt face and the length of the case from the shoulder of the case to the case head. The difference in the two lengths is (should be referred to as clearance) but to some reloaders every component and tool is described as something that has to do with head space.

F. Guffey
Old June 27, 2019, 04:58 PM   #4
F. Guffey

You could use something from Sinclair/Hornady but there is a problem; the tool is a comparator and it looks like they will never figure out how L.E. Wilson verifies their tools.

F. Guffey
Old June 28, 2019, 08:28 AM   #5
Bart B.

There is no better way than the magic marker one. Note the case shoulder is against the chamber shoulder when fired.

Whatever the dimension is from bolt face to rifling contact with bullet ogive is when the barrel is new, it will increase .001" every couple to few dozen shots.

Last edited by Bart B.; June 28, 2019 at 09:10 AM.
Old June 28, 2019, 09:09 AM   #6
Jim Watson

Distance to lands on a pump action just boggles my mind.
Is there something to be gained by applying target rifle methods to a hunting rifle?
What do you do when you find the throat is so long that a short jump for benchrest accuracy comes out too long for the magazine?
Old June 28, 2019, 09:15 AM   #7
F. Guffey

Quote:
There is no better way than the magic marker one.
And if all I could do was paint a case/bullet with a magic marker I would have to agree. I want to know the distance from the beginning of the rifling to the bolt face; again, I have tested chambers in rifles that 'just would not shoot'. The one that needed the most attention was a magnificent rifle built by a friend..

He made the reamer etc. etc. he cut the chamber on 4 rifles, one was not accurate, he took the rifle around to other friends 'better than me', they just shrugged their shoulders and or bounced their hands off their foreheads and said "I do not know".

I started out with "I do not know", he then asked me if it was my problem where would I start. I told him, the first thing he did was jump onto the Internet to search the "HOW TO" section.

And then he started; and then he called again. And then? I had to remind him I did not tell him to jump onto the Internet to find the problem. I had to remind him he asked me "Where would you start if it was my problem". That afternoon he came over with a box full of contraptions. Anyhow I had to do the work for him, and before you start by claiming you had an old friend that did it all I will tell you his bullet would leave the case before it made contact with the rifling.

I could have chambered his rifle to a 7mm Shooting Time Western and still have too much free bore. And then he wanted to know what caused the problem. I did not shrug my shoulders, I did not bounce the palm of my had off of my fore head, I just said "I do not know".

F. Guffey
Old June 28, 2019, 09:36 AM   #8
David R

Bart B nailed it.

David
Old June 28, 2019, 09:40 AM   #9
Doyle

Quote:
Distance to lands on a pump action just boggles my mind.
Is there something to be gained by applying target rifle methods to a hunting rifle?
What do you do when you find the throat is so long that a short jump for benchrest accuracy comes out too long for the magazine?
You are making the assumption that pump rifles can't be accurate. In fact, this 760 shoots almost as good as any bolt-action I've ever owned (and from what I can gather from the web, that is not a one-off exception). In this particular case, I'm going to load up some TTSX bullets. Those bullets are known for needing a little bit of a jump (Barnes recomments .050 to start). Since Remington in general is known for "inconsistent" throat depths, I'd really like to know what I'm dealing with before I start. I don't need to get down to benchrest-type adjustments - just enough information to know what ball park I'm in.
Old June 28, 2019, 09:40 AM   #10
F. Guffey

Quote:
Good question: I am the fan of the 'running start', I want my bullet to have 'that jump'. I also want to know the length of the chamber from the shoulder/datum to the bolt face and I want to know the distance from the beginning of the rifling to the bolt face.

Again, a shooter walked into a North Texas gun shop with a rifle that was locked up, The shooter found it impossible to open the bolt after he fired the first round, He was a most obnoxious customer, he had plans on suing all involved.

It took the smith over 2 hours to get the bolt out, After removing the bolt he had to ask the shooter for an ammo receipt from the sporting goods store to verify the ammo and then he verified the rifle, The shooter purchased 308 W ammo for a 25/06. And all of the witnesses in the shop were betting on how long the bullet was when it left the barrel.

There are factors that prevented the rifle from being rendered scrap and injuring the shooter. The crowd in the gun shop was not a group of shooters that would benefit from discussing factors.

F. Guffey
Old June 28, 2019, 05:01 PM   #11
F. Guffey

Quote:
I'd really like to know what I'm dealing with before I start. I don't need to get down to benchrest-type adjustments - just enough information to know what ball park I'm in.
We have members that recommend doing it just like the bench resters do. And he is so convincing that he claims their methods are so-good they have been doing it for decades.

And now? He has started suggesting the bench resters methods and adding clearance. Something like .002" is good for clearance and I have asked many time where the .002" came from.

The bench rester will not have the same chamber as the ordinary reloader like me and there is a good chance the bench rester rifle will cost $2000 + more than my common ordinary rifle and I choose to ignore tension because I can not measure tension with my tensions gages because they are marked off in pounds, not tensions. that leaves me with bullet hold, I can measure bullet hold in pounds, problem I do not have a conversion that takes my pounds and converts the pounds to tensions.

F. Guffey