The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 15, 2021, 12:32 PM   #1
fisherman66

1885 - modern steel

I’m looking to add to my collection of single shots. I have a lovely Ruger #1 RSI in 7x57. Recently I nabbed a 1930’s production German falling block in 22lr. I don’t shoot near as much as I like, but I don’t collect to just own. I love the slick actions and the “snick” and machine work that make using these rifles so satisfying. For that same reason I love revolvers.

The 1885 is by most accounts the premier non custom rifle. It’s older than Methuselah therefore metallurgy can be problematic in originals. I have no problem enjoying one in 22lr, but I’m not opposed to any easy to find ammo eating guns.

I haven’t kept abreast of all the different makers of the 1885 in contemporary steel. There’s Japanese and Italian made ones. There’s the golden trigger one. I think a Wyoming manufacturer is putting of the finest examples. I assume they are still being produced there.

Does anyone have experience comparing the ones made by different manufacturers or factories? I prefer the look of the Low Wall, but I like the idea of an ejector. My only demand is I need to be able to find ammunition to feed it.

That said, if anyone has a Hagn they’d like to give away...let me know.
Old May 15, 2021, 01:45 PM   #2
105kw

C. Sharps in Big Timber MT makes a 1885 in a lot of different calibers, check out the web site.
I own on of their 1874 Sharps rifles, and am really impressed.
Old May 15, 2021, 02:22 PM   #3
NoSecondBest

I have a couple of different Miroku made Brownings and Winchesters. Miroku’s quality and fit/finish is outstanding. All are very accurate. My 1885 finished by Turnbull is not only a piece of eye candy, it’s superbly accurate. It’s an honest 1moa gun (five shots, not three) and is the least fussy gun to load for I’ve ever owned. Mine is in 45-70, one of my favorite classic calibers. I’d easily give it two thumbs up. The pic of the group isn’t a one time group, I’ve actually shot many where all holes were touching. It’s about “average” for the gun
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 861426EC-2DE7-44F9-A2AB-12A4062195A5.jpeg (232.6 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpeg 8E5D84BB-D2BA-44C2-8C40-BF7B08122189.jpeg (297.7 KB, 34 views)
Old May 15, 2021, 02:41 PM   #4
fisherman66

Turnbull puts out a really beautiful product. The bases and rings are a nice touch too. Correct me if I’m wrong, but over time I think the peacock effect of color case hardening oxidizes or somehow ages and the colors wash out. Not a deal breaker, maybe even more reason to enjoy the moment and get out and shoot.

I don’t love recoil, but the 45-70 might be tolerable. I can’t take the modern magnums. The impulse is just too sharp. The old Krag round might be a good compromise. I don’t reload though and I just don’t shoot enough to justify the addition hobby.
Old May 15, 2021, 03:45 PM   #5
NoSecondBest

The recoil on a 45-70 can be mild to wild. I load all my loads with 405g bullets but they’re only traveling around 1300-1450 fps. They’re pretty much in line with the old black powder loads used in the Trapdoor rounds back when the gun was in use by the military. Still, I have yet to recover one from any deer I’ve shot. Pass through seems to be the norm. There’s more of a push than anything else. CC will fade over time. I have a shotgun that left the factory with CC back in the mid 1940’s. It’s faded but still evident. I’m not too worried about the High Wall, I’m in my seventies a if it fades I won’t be around to see it. The next guy can send it back and have it done again. You could consider a Low Wall made by Miroku/Browning if recoil is an issue. They were made in many calibers right down to .22lr and up to some cartridges such as the .243. Not having an ejector isn’t a problem, the shell is very easy to grab and take out of the gun. I have a .357mag version that I had reamed out to 357max and it’s a real shooter also. It’s a Browning labeled model (all made by Miroku) and it came from the factory with some type of CC look (chemical, not actual bone charcoal). Nice wood and finish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg DA4BFA33-423A-4702-BF21-485D38E43B83.jpeg (320.9 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by NoSecondBest; May 15, 2021 at 03:51 PM.
Old May 15, 2021, 05:23 PM   #6
fisherman66

NSB, that is stunning wood. I never hit the wood lottery buying sight unseen. I don’t buy new anymore.
Old May 15, 2021, 06:12 PM   #7
Scorch

I own an original 1885 HighWall, and it was one of my bucket list items for many years just due to its strength and reputation for accuracy and toughness. While the metallurgy back then wasn't great, it was good enough, and these things are massive enough to be chambered for more cartridges than any other action ever. That said, they are not lightweights. So I say get one, you will not be sorry.
Old May 15, 2021, 06:38 PM   #8
Jim Watson

I have a real Winchester made in 1911, .32-40 rebored to .38-55. I never loaded it hot and it hasn't been loaded with smokeless in years.

I also have a Browning BPCR .40-65, always black; although they made them as Highwall and Lowwall in all calibers. I knew one guy who would catch odd caliber Browning Lowwalls on sale and rebarrel them to period BP calibers.
The Miroku Browning/Winchester rifles are cosmetic lookalikes, not the same inside.

There are Italian copies from Uberti, most in the period calibers, but they have one called the Courtney Stalking Rifle in .303 British.

As said, you would not be disappointed in a C. Sharps.
Old May 15, 2021, 07:24 PM   #9
fisherman66

Just playing around in Gunbroker. I hope it’s kosher to post links. I’m not sure if things have changed recently.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/893077079

What a beauty and the pedigree isn’t anything to sneeze at.
Old May 21, 2021, 03:48 PM   #10
Paul B.

I do not question the strength of the Browning high wall. Case in point. I was shooting some cast bullet loads from my Browning B-78 in 30-06. Load was the Lyman #311284, nominally a 200 gr. bullet and 225gr. in my alloy. Charge was 25.0 gr. Accurate 5744, a published load that shoots well in my B-78. One shot gave a greater amount of recoil and getting the action open required pulling on the lever combined with a cleaning rod. The primer pocket was about 1/4" in diameter and the primer missing. After my nerves settled down for a while I continued shoot. I'd loaded 50 rounds and when I quit for the day. Upon my inspection and one later by my gunsmith the rifle was considered to be just fine. About all I could think of was I must have double charged a case during a momentarily lapse of attention. I'm extremely anal about charging cases with powder so I really don't know how I did that, but, I did. Surely answers the question about the strength of a Browning copy of the high wall Winchester clone.
Paul B.
Old May 23, 2021, 10:33 AM   #11
Ricklin

Thanks

Fisherman66 our tastes are similar. It's even in my very favorite caliber.

Simply gorgeous. Thanks for the link.