The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 24, 2017, 02:37 PM   #26
TailGator

Quote:
The case seals the chamber by friction, while the bullet's in the barrel. Lubing it may cause the case to slide off the chamber prematurely, allowing hot gases to escape, possibly damaging the gun and the shooter's hands (which happen to be mine). Besides, the weapon's manual explicitly says not to do it.
Absolutely don't do it if the manual says not to. A lot of manufacturers recommend lightly oiling the bore to prevent rust, "lightly" being a key word that some people miss. I have never encountered the kind of burns you describe.

I'll add my congratulations for the reward of your patience. Enjoy. Without oiling the bore or chamber.
Old August 24, 2017, 02:42 PM   #27
ammo.crafter

The long wait.

Congrats!

You're lucky you don't live in New Jersey; you would still be waiting.
Old August 25, 2017, 04:14 AM   #28
Oysterboy

Congrats on your fine piece. It's a beaut.

I'll just have to be content with my "ugly" Glock G29.
Old August 25, 2017, 11:25 PM   #29
BOOGIE the oily

Thanks again.

@JohnKSa: Thank you, I'll try it. Right now, it's all a money issue, as I'm trying to save some for bullets, and then I want to save to recover a family heirloom, that was sold (despite my strenuous objections) 32 years ago.

@TailGator: I know what you say makes sense, but, at least initially, I'll follow the manual. In any case, I'm trying to find the time to talk with one of Bersa's engineers on the phone, and that's one of the questions I have for him.

"Alcohol doesn't solve anything, but then again, neither does milk."
Old August 27, 2017, 06:02 PM   #30
rock185

Hello Boogie, Certainly do whatever you think appropriate, but FWIW I have always left a film of lube in the bore and chamber of all of my guns after cleaning to prevent rust. I was a LE armorer for several years and maintained other officers firearms as well as my own. Always left a film of lube in the chambers of all pistols, revolvers, pump and semi-auto shotguns, and rifles; bolt action, semi and full auto. Never an issue of any kind in doing this.......ymmv