The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 5, 2020, 01:33 PM   #1
adamBomb

Belly Band for CCW

Anyone else use them? Any good/bad experiences?

I've used one with my bodyguard from time to time when I was running or in gym shorts but am getting a new CCW gun (most likely a p365) and I was planning to IWB carry until I went to a shop today and tried on several quality holsters with the gun and remembered why I always hated IWB carry. So I am considering going the belly band route since I know I enjoy it per my experience with my bodyguard. It fits me well, leaves my pockets open, and I can wear pretty much anything. Just kinda curious about others experiences with them as they don't seem like a common way a lot of people carry.
Old January 5, 2020, 01:34 PM   #2
TunnelRat

Would help if you explained what about IWB carry you hate.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old January 5, 2020, 01:45 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

Stretchy nylon(lycra or spandex) deteriorates over time and the Belly Band(that looks a lot like my back brace thingy without the suspenders.) is still worn inside your pants.
Dunno how well they'd hold the weight. Kind of suspect not well though.
Old January 5, 2020, 02:42 PM   #4
JERRYS.

I tried those over 15 years ago. they were hot. another layer of something compressed [all the way around] against your body in addition to the clothing you're already wearing. of course I judge summer time carry methods against being outside in the summer time, not inside with air-conditioning.
Old January 6, 2020, 04:35 PM   #5
Wag

I've worn a Galco belly band for close to ten years now. I love it. They do wear out, though, and I replaced the first one after about nine years.

You'll have to wear a t-shirt under it but if you use cotton t-shirts, they wick the sweat off your body and they are quite comfortable, even in the heat of the summer.

You should be able to run with a belly band but YMMV.

As mentioned above, they are really meant to be used IWB, right about the belt line. When I run, I wear jeans and a belt rather than hope for sweat pants to hold everything together.

--Wag--
Old January 6, 2020, 06:46 PM   #6
adamBomb

Quote:
Would help if you explained what about IWB carry you hate.
I guess I shouldn't of said hate, more like it doesn't work well for me because I dress bus casual 90% of the time. So my shirt is always tucked in and the holsters I was trying still showed a clip on my belt. This makes it tough to IWB carry unless I am just going to the store and am dressing down. This is one of the reasons I have pocket carried for the last several yrs. I do currently own a cheap amazon belly band and have used it to run. But it seems like it might be a good option for me to invest in a good one for my new carry piece when I buy it. My concerns are that i am not sure they protect the trigger as well as a good holster does so I need to find one that suites my needs.
Old January 6, 2020, 07:51 PM   #7
kenny53

I used one a few years ago and loved it. I found they protect the trigger just fine. Nobody knew I was carrying. I mainly pocket carry now or use kydex IWB holster for full size guns.
Old January 7, 2020, 11:07 AM   #8
adamBomb

Quote:
I found they protect the trigger just fine.
Nice!

Quote:
Nobody knew I was carrying.
This is a need for me. My environment is one where everyone around me is definitely not comfortable with firearms. I need to be very discreet
Old January 7, 2020, 12:05 PM   #9
pwc

When I was very young, I wore the blue and white striped overalls and suspenders with pants. I did not like them. Now I'm older (a lot) I have come to embrace suspenders. It started with my GI web gear; could carry a load with the weight spread around, not just on my hips.

Now, a reasonable belt with suspenders allows IWB (prefered) or OWB, depends on situation. I mostly live in IWB tiime and wear tee shirt tucked in under suspenders with outer shirt over suspenders and IWB. It's mostly hot in Phoenix, so this works for me.

I'm not built straight up and down and have to bend a little to see my toes. I've thought about belly bands and arrived at the decision it would be like a "man girdle". My belly would cause the top of the band to want to roll over a little, so that's not good.

I've always wanted to carry on a shoulder holster since that was what the USAF gave me for my 1911, but I didn't like the issue holster. Open carry was OK then. But, non military kinda dictates a sport coat or jacket; again too hot.

I thought about one of those sleeveless 12 pocket jackets that you see advertised on TV once in awhile, but that's not practical in summer.

So, I'll keep carrying with my suspenders

Last edited by pwc; January 7, 2020 at 12:49 PM.
Old January 7, 2020, 02:29 PM   #10
TunnelRat

Just to play devil's advocate, there are more holster makers out there than I can recall. Many of them have tuckable options with varying styles of clips. Could someone see a clip and automatically deduce from what it's from? Depending on the attention to detail of the person sure it's possible. I wouldn't think it's very likely or likely to result in a problem. People, on the whole, are blissfully unaware of what happens. Most are too invested in their phones or the world around them to notice a thin clip on a belt. I've seen people open carry and the people around them didn't notice. But everyone has to make decisions about what is best for him or her.

Old January 7, 2020, 03:30 PM   #11
pwc

I think the people around the open carriers DO notice, but don't say anything. They file it away until they get in a group of like thinkers before they remark.

And, I do believe, most people are too involved intjeir own lives to pay much attention towhat's going on around them. Situational asareness is a learned skill, not naturally acquired.
Old January 7, 2020, 03:33 PM   #12
TunnelRat

Oh I am sure some do notice and some are absolutely too afraid to say something. My point was if some people don't notice and even those that do are too afraid to say anything about someone openly carrying a firearm (not something I recommend) I am not sure some clips against the same colored belt will really draw that much attention or remark.

Old January 13, 2020, 01:07 PM   #13
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamBomb View Post
Anyone else use them? Any good/bad experiences?

I've used one with my bodyguard from time to time when I was running or in gym shorts but am getting a new CCW gun (most likely a p365) and I was planning to IWB carry until I went to a shop today and tried on several quality holsters with the gun and remembered why I always hated IWB carry. So I am considering going the belly band route since I know I enjoy it per my experience with my bodyguard. It fits me well, leaves my pockets open, and I can wear pretty much anything. Just kinda curious about others experiences with them as they don't seem like a common way a lot of people carry.
When I need to concealed in business attire, with a shirt tucked in and no jacket, in an environment in which absolutely no printing is necessary, I carry the "Smartcarry holster".

It is comfortable and allows me to carry a Glock 21, with a tucked in button up dress shirt, in a university environment.
Old January 13, 2020, 01:16 PM   #14
adamBomb

Quote:
When I need to concealed in business attire, with a shirt tucked in and no jacket, in an environment in which absolutely no printing is necessary, I carry the "Smartcarry holster".

It is comfortable and allows me to carry a Glock 21, with a tucked in button up dress shirt, in a university environment.
How secure is the weapon in that? It looks interesting.

Side note - I also work in a university setting but can't carry at work.
Old January 14, 2020, 10:01 AM   #15
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamBomb View Post
How secure is the weapon in that? It looks interesting.

Side note - I also work in a university setting but can't carry at work.
It is very secure because there is elastic pressure on it and the firearm is below your belt line. I also use this particular holster for bicycling (inside my biking shorts) and running. I mean, I would not do back flips with it, but running and mountain biking is fine.

Being below the belt, access is a little harder, but that is an acceptable trade off for me. I use other holsters, kydex mostly, when I don't have such a need for absolute concealment.

I am an instructor and grad student and I carry on campus which is allowed in my state. I defended my dissertation proposal in front of a panel while (legally) conceal carrying my full size G21 :-)
Old January 14, 2020, 11:08 AM   #16
adamBomb

Nice, I am going to go to several stores in the next week or so and see if any carry these. I would really like to see one.

Yea my state makes it illegal to carry on campus. I can carry everywhere else except the one place that I probably need to most. Surprisingly there are a number of professors (myself included) that fully support campus carry. I have to keep my firearm locked in my car. Campus carry and national CCW reciprocity are two things I really wish we had...
Old February 4, 2020, 10:54 AM   #17
Mr.Bro

I have used a belly band for some time and it has helped me to carry a gun when I otherwise would not have. In regular jeans I always use an IWB kydex, but I often go up to the trail for extended walking or biking and it's great to have the band. I wear it about belly button height, but it can also be worn comfortably around the waistline. Although it does get a little sweaty underneath, it's not overly hot. I typically carry a lightweight 5 shot 38, which I can forget all about as it's so light and plenty comfortable. I have even carried my Glock 26 w/ a 12 round mag, but when bending over it can feel light it's being pushed up and out of the band.

All in all, I think they are very useful for times when you are wearing basketball/athletic shorts and don't want to have the weight riding on your pants waist. Without the band I probably would end up not carrying as often as I do.
Old February 6, 2020, 12:18 AM   #18
dyl

Cheap can be bad

I tried a belly band briefly in the privacy of my own home. I bought it cheap online, and the thing had great elastic properties, but zero padding. Perhaps my choice of a j-frame revolver, its particular design, and positioning had something to do with it but the cylinder get pushing into my ribs and it was very uncomfortable.

If I ever tried again, although I don't think I'll need to (I could pocket carry and run in cargo shorts...if I felt like running), I would get one with padding, and position it somewhere *I* have padding.
Old February 6, 2020, 07:53 AM   #19
USNRet93

Quote:
it doesn't work well for me because I dress bus casual 90% of the time. So my shirt is always tucked in and the holsters I was trying still showed a clip on my belt.
Forgive my ignorance but a belly band would be under your tucked in shirt? Seems like very poor accessibility..gotta either pull your shirt out or unbutton, yes?
YOUR specifics but 'seems' like pocket carry would be best..IMHO.

"Tools not Trophies”

Last edited by USNRet93; February 8, 2020 at 09:08 AM.
Old February 7, 2020, 08:20 AM   #20
Mannlicher

I have one of those belly band rigs, and use it from time to time. I feel it really slows access to your weapon though. It is never my first choice.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old February 8, 2020, 12:55 PM   #21
Wag

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyl View Post
I tried a belly band briefly in the privacy of my own home. I bought it cheap online, and the thing had great elastic properties, but zero padding. Perhaps my choice of a j-frame revolver, its particular design, and positioning had something to do with it but the cylinder get pushing into my ribs and it was very uncomfortable.

If I ever tried again, although I don't think I'll need to (I could pocket carry and run in cargo shorts...if I felt like running), I would get one with padding, and position it somewhere *I* have padding.
You were just wearing it too high. A belly band is supposed to facilitate IWB carry. Not saying it absolutely MUST be done that way but it's the intent.

--Wag--
Old February 8, 2020, 12:57 PM   #22
Wag

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet93 View Post
Forgive my ignorance but a belly band would be under your tucked in shirt? Seems like very poor accessibility..gotta either pull your shirt out or unbutton, yes?
YOUR specifics but 'seems' like pocket carry would be best..IMHO.
That's correct. The gun would be under your tucked in shirt and yes, it hinders accessibility. But it's still better than being completely unarmed. Should you need to get your pistol out, you'd have to yank your shirt out with the off hand and draw with the other. May sacrifice some buttons in the process. Not to mention, sacrificing some speed on the draw.

--Wag--