The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old February 17, 2006, 01:52 PM   #1
Jericho9mm

CCW in Utah as a visitor

Packing.org seems to be down again but i was wondering, I am going ot Utah this long weekend and i know that they recognize Idaho CCW permits. I was just wondering if there is anything i need to know that might get me in trouble by carrying in Utah, like are their laws similar to Idaho's?
Old February 17, 2006, 10:29 PM   #2
Don H

I'm not familiar with Idaho's laws but let me offer a brief summary of Utah's:

If you are asked for your ID by a LEO and you are carrying, you need to inform him you have a valid CCW and are carrying.

You can legally carry in public schools, state and local government offices, entertainment and sports facilities unless they are privately owned and carry is prohibited, churches may prohibit CCW, you can carry in bars but can't be under the influence (just best not to drink at all), CCW is prohibited in secure facilities like jails, secure portion of the state mental hospital, courtrooms (you know, all those places you really don't want to be anyways).

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head.

If you have any specific questions I'll be glad to respond.
Old February 18, 2006, 02:05 AM   #3
Gazpacho

If I remember correctly, secured areas of airports is also off limits to CCW. I wouldn't plan on much drinking in Utah. They are actually friendlier towards guns than they are alcohol.
Old February 18, 2006, 03:15 AM   #4
amaverick

The laws are pretty much the same as Idaho as far as I know except don't take one into an LDS church. Seriously they have it in the law.

— George Mason
Old February 18, 2006, 12:37 PM   #5
Don H

Quote:
don't take one into an LDS church. Seriously they have it in the law.
Not quite correct. There is no specific law making LDS churches "No gun" areas. Churches can either post a "No guns" sign or list themselves on the BCI site as "No carry" zones. The LDS Church has opted to list itself on the BCI site. Here is the URL for the BCI site: http://bci.utah.gov/CFP/CFChurch.html
Old February 18, 2006, 12:59 PM   #6
Pointer

Quote:
If you are asked for your ID by a LEO and you are carrying, you need to inform him you have a valid CCW and are carrying.
If you are stopped by a LEO for any reason like speeding etc.
YOU MUST DECLARE THAT YOU ARE CARRYING.

I usually give CWP with my DL and that is all the declaration you need.
The LEO may then ask where the weapon is...
You tell him it is on your right hip, or under the car seat or shoulder holster or whatever...

Do NOT show the gun or give it to the LEO unless you are asked to do so...

30-06 FOREVER
Old February 19, 2006, 03:57 AM   #7
Gazpacho

Actually I recommend NEVER touching your firearm when in the presence of a LEO (on duty, atleast). It is conceivable that you might handle the gun in a manner considered threatening. Also, in a 2 LEO stop, one will be at your window, talking with you while the other will be in a support position, probably not able to hear you. If the first thing he sees is your hand on a gun, replacing your rear window will be the least of your worries.

Let the officer releave you of your weapon, in a manner that makes the LEO comfortable. In my mind that includes getting put in physical restraints.