The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old January 29, 2000, 09:13 PM   #1
Futo Inu

Very excited. Had to apply fall last year, tell 'em why I want to be a member, and wait 'til there was an opening. Now there is. I go in for "orientation" on Feb 12, to discuss range rules, etc. At last, an outdoor range - no more breathing fumes for me. And private means I will feel much safer than the public range. Crap, now I have to buy a chronograph, a spotting scope, some reactive targets, ...... This is a problem I can deal with. Any advice? Besides don't shoot a member's car tires out the first day there, etc.
Old January 30, 2000, 12:15 PM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

I've been a member of a private range for a couple of years now. It's basically a microcosm of society-at-large. We have something like 500 members or so. I think probably 30 members actually help run and maintain the club. Though many show up to help if asked. My observation is that there is a wide chasm between the different disciplines. If it doesn't affect one's discipline (IPSC, trap, skeet, CAS, DCM, bullseye etc) there's no way that group wants to help. Some of our members only show up with their attitude to shoot. I've been ridiculed for bringing certain weapons (AR etc). I just ignore these. I have also shot some rather interesting fireams and had many pleasant discussions with fellow shooters while on the line.
We have just gone through some problems, legally speaking. So we're in the midst of trying to reorganize.
I usually go to shoot when there are not many people around as I then get my choice of ranges to shoot at.
I think our next very big hurdle is subarban encroachment. When I joined my club, there was not much development but now we are almost surrounded by them. We are in a rather steep valley but the developments are only a couple of hills away now. Soon the land will be too valuable to keep "undeveloped". But then maybe they could buy some more land closer to me and then I wouldn't have to drive 45 minutes to go shooting and they could have longer than 100 yard ranges
Basically to recap, it's not the best but it beats going to public ranges any day.
Old January 31, 2000, 02:59 AM   #3
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Dont go in your Golf outfits...

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
Old January 31, 2000, 09:25 AM   #4
fal308
Staff Alumnus

You can bring golf balls though. They make great targets
Old January 31, 2000, 12:50 PM   #5
Guy B. Meredith

Where do you live? Everyone thinks that California and the San Francisco Bay area are restrictive, but we don't wait in line for membership at clubs with outdoor ranges and there is usually plenty of range accessibility for both public and club members. The only differences are that club members get discount and membership may be required for IPSC style shooting.

I am the member of three clubs; two which own ranges ($25 and $48 per year) and one which sponsers action pistol at one of the facilities ($25 per year). Both clubs have hundreds of members and welcome all new members.

Both of the clubs rent or volunteer the various ranges to sponsers of a multitude of activities--police, Boy Scouts, junior marksmanship training, IPCSC, IDPA, action cowboy, etc.

There are at least four other outdoor ranges I know of within 50 miles of my home. I know of no restrictions on any of them, though a couple have limited marksmanship facilities of the type normally open to the public.

[This message has been edited by Guy B. Meredith (edited January 31, 2000).]
Old February 12, 2000, 08:35 AM   #6
Tom B

I just moved to the Atlanta area and joined a private range/club. I love it but with all the ranges there, pistol bullseye, combat, skeet, rifle, etc... the one I always go to is the pistol plinking range. I love to shoot my cans and pinecones. I also love to make my empty beer can targets at home.I shot an 18 point pinecone the other day!