The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 16, 2008, 04:04 PM   #1
natlmatch

http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillonLeeHornadyComparison.pdf

I found this guide on the net. One particular part of this comparison "dinged" The Lee press on the way it seated the primers. I quote:

"Primer feel
Clear win to Dillon and Hornady – they prime at the bottom of the stroke with nothing else going on. In principle, you can ‘feel’ the anvil pushing into the cup. On the Lee, you prime at the top of the stroke – primers can’t be felt at all with sizing, seating, expanding, and crimping going on, so they’re seated to a more-or-less pre-set depth instead of by feel. This matters for accuracy."

I was wondering if anyone agrees or disagrees with this statement particularly pertaining to accuracy of the reloaded round from a Lee press?

Thank You,

NM
Old January 16, 2008, 04:33 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Which Lee press are they talking about?

On my Classic Cast Turret I prime on the down stroke and you can very distinctly feel the primer being seated.

EDIT: OK, he's talking Lee Loadmaster. I have no experience with one.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 16, 2008, 04:35 PM   #3
caz223

Hhhmm, doesn't the dillon super 1050 seat the primers the same way?
It's a strong point, and a weak point of the press at the same time.
It's a strong point, as you don't have to press up on the handle, it saves a lot of time.
It's a weak point as you can't do anything else in station 2, like charge powder.
The 550 has a weak point in the primer system as a result of them doing everything in station 1, it's the dust from being decapped dropping onto the primer slide gumming up the works.
It makes for occasional hung primer drops, as the old primer can drop out of the tube and prevent the full stroke of the primer slide, wedging itself between the ram and the primer slide.

There's no such thing as a free lunch. There will always be a compromise in the priming system somewhere. If you don't think so, then invent one without a compromise, and reap the rewards!

As far as no adjustment, there is an adjustment, but it relies on consistant die adjustment. You adjust your dies wrong, it will throw off the whole works. Adjust your dies right and you won't have a problem.
The 550 has no adjustment, and has never needed one.
As far as the lee not being able to make an accurate round, I'm afraid they just don't know how to adjust the press.
There are plenty of youtube videos I would give more credability to over and above any write-up that says that one brand of press won't be able to make accurate ammo, no matter how you adjust it.