The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 10, 2016, 12:34 AM   #26
Scorch

Anything that is supposed to do everything pretty good does none of them very well. I use solvent, lubricant, and preservative.
Old January 10, 2016, 09:59 PM   #27
Maverick36

Hoppes # 9 and Ballistol. Mpro 7 copper solvent every 10 times shooting.
Old February 1, 2016, 11:09 AM   #28
MarkCO

Quote:
has anyone had experience with lucas gun oil?
Yes. I got some when it first came out and tried it. I seemed good so I tested it, eventually extensively. As a materials engineer with a lot of time in motorsports and graduate coursework in tribology, I knew that almost all gun oils are overpriced basestocks with little or no testing for the actual application and some are just outright scams, so I was skeptical. I continued to test and research it and since about 6 months ago Lucas Products are all I use.

They make 2 Oils, one is odorless for hunting and one is the Extreme for semi-autos. I have over 45K rounds fired utilizing Lucas Products now. They also make a grease, which I use on my carry pistol, and a CLP which I use on my .22LRs. I use their metal polish for a bunch of things; a final polish on machine work, feedramps and on a cloth to just take off residue. I also use it with Corncob media to polish my brass (AMAZING) and I just finished an extensive test of the bore cleaner used in an Ultrasonic and am very happy with it.

For the OP, I find CLPs tend to be a good solution for rimfires, but I use a separate cleaner and lube for everything else. CLPs don't tend to stay put like the better lubes.
Old February 1, 2016, 11:11 AM   #29
Kevin Rohrer

Clean? Hoppes

Everythng else? Breakfree.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer