The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 18, 2013, 09:01 PM   #1
TheFineLine

Rossi 92 fail

I bought a Stainless Rossi 92 20 inch barrel in 44 mag for Christmas. Its a great looking rifle. We finally took it out to the range a few days ago and at the 12th round it stopped ejecting. We put 40 rounds of winchester 44 mag, and 35 doubletap 44 specials thru it. All failed. I just sent it back to them today on their dime. I hope they will fix it up right.
Old February 18, 2013, 11:33 PM   #2
DPris
Member Emeritus

Had the air conditioning fail once on my Chebby truck.
Took it to the dealer who fixed it under warranty.
Stuff happens.
Denis
Old February 18, 2013, 11:47 PM   #3
2500ak

I've never liked the factory ejection on the Rossi 92. The Ejector spring is much too stiff, and on mine at least the ejector was so roughed and poorly ground that it needed every ounce of it to eject properly.

Took about an hour and a half with stones, files, sandpaper wrapped around drill bits, lots of steel wool, and quite a few different grades of polish to make it fit right, and mirror smooth.

Once it did, the rifle would ping shells off the corrugate roof above the shooting benches. This site: http://stevesgunz.com/ has a much softer ejector spring. Well worth buying.

As to what happened to yours? I can almost guarantee (keep in mind I haven't had mine apart in about a year) that your ejector spring slipped off the shelf it sits on resulting in loss of ejection. I had that happen one of the many (infuriating) times I've had mine apart while cleaning up the action.

Probably a good idea to send it in, out of all of my collection I hate taking the Rossi apart the most. It always results in pinches, blood blisters, deep cuts, and a lot a swearing no matter how careful I am with it.

The actions need a lot of work from the factory imo. Or at least mine did. Now that I've got every camming, sliding, and mating sufaces mirror smooth, the ejector spring, and a 19lb Ruger Blackhawk hammer spring I can work the action on mine with the fingernail of my little finger with relative ease. So they are capable of being very smooth, and very reliable. They just don't come like that out of the box.

Much smoother than my Marlin 1895 actually. Though when I first bought them I thought the Marlin much smoother.
Old February 19, 2013, 09:32 PM   #4
Big Steve

I just bought a Rossi 92 .357 2 weeks ago. Put 250 rounds through it the first day. Perfect all day. Heard about the ejector springs but mine seemed to be fine. I did come home take it completely apart and cleaned it that day. Not the easiest thing to disassemble. $30 you can get a spring kit from Midway or Brownells. Hopefully Rossi takes care of you on it.
Old February 21, 2013, 04:37 AM   #5
natman

Quote:
I've never liked the factory ejection on the Rossi 92. The Ejector spring is much too stiff, and on mine at least the ejector was so roughed and poorly ground that it needed every ounce of it to eject properly.

Took about an hour and a half with stones, files, sandpaper wrapped around drill bits, lots of steel wool, and quite a few different grades of polish to make it fit right, and mirror smooth.
This is similar to my experience with Rossis, and I've had 6 or 7 in various models. They are so crudely machined that it takes hours of polishing and stoning to get them to operate smoothly. I assume the hour and a half was spent on the ejector, because I spent HOURS polishing the action on my 92. As soon as you got one subassembly working properly it would just make the roughness somewhere else apparent.

I finally got it operating smoothly, then when I shot it the accuracy was only so-so. That's when I swore off Rossis for good.

Last edited by natman; February 25, 2013 at 01:58 AM.
Old February 21, 2013, 07:13 AM   #6
mehavey

Would you believe, then, Chiappa?
Old February 21, 2013, 09:05 PM   #7
QuarterHorse

I've been looking for a '92 in 45 Colt to get into SASS competitions. It seems the Rossi is pretty popular and there is a bit of a following for 'em?
Old February 23, 2013, 11:40 PM   #8
QuarterHorse

.....bump

Seriously interested in more feedback. Lots of reading of older threads the Rossi is a good buy. There have got to be more people that have recently purchased them with input?
Old February 24, 2013, 12:30 AM   #9
Big Steve

I almost bought the 45 Long Colt big loop but they were out the day I ordered my .357. Mine has been flawless. My buddies have a 45 long colt and the .410 models both work fine. Worst case you can get the spring kit from Midway for $15 and fix the exactor yourself if you have any problems.
Old February 24, 2013, 12:45 AM   #10
QuarterHorse

My thoughts of worst case were just that as well, however real people with feedback is what I was kind of wanting. Not to hijack this thread.

CAS could be in my future, I hand load 45LC, so I could tailor the loads that go into the Rossi for weekend shooting or pig hunting and wanted to make sure the firearm would suit me well.

Thanks all
Old February 24, 2013, 12:54 AM   #11
jersurf101

I bought a rossi .357/38 spec last october. She ejects.357's flawlessy and .38's very well. The .357 mags go a lot further than the .38 specials though. The gun itself is smooth and seems mechanically good. I have been working up some good 2400 158 grn xtpFP loads and she like 158 grain lead over unique. The wood is not finished the best and I think I will refinish it. JMHO
Old February 24, 2013, 07:40 AM   #12
az_imuth

I've had one in 38/357 since late 2010 and haven't had any issues at all. It just continues to run smoother and smoother the more we shoot it. I haven't had anyone fire it that didn't end up wanting one for themselves.
Old February 24, 2013, 05:37 PM   #13
QuarterHorse

Thanks fellas