The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 15, 2013, 04:56 PM   #1
Ozzieman

And who says there’s no powder out there

And who says there’s no powder out there, 60 LB in 8 days. Oh wait, 6 pounds in 8 weeks.

This just showed up from MidwayUSA. The shipping sucked (hazmat) but I have +3000 cases to load for the spring/summer and I wanted to get it done.
This craziness has got to end, some time?
Have you found anything lately you were surprised you found???

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.

Last edited by Ozzieman; October 1, 2016 at 05:22 PM.
Old February 15, 2013, 05:19 PM   #2
603Country

Wife wanted to go shopping in Waco today, so I tagged along. I went by the pawnshop/gunshop/reloading shop that I frequent, to see if any new reloading stuff had arrived. Last time I was there, about 2 weeks ago, it was pretty picked over. I was after Reloader 17 and IMR 4064. They had plenty of what I needed and pretty much a full assortment of IMR, Hodgdon, and Reloader powders. And the projectile shelves were fairly well stocked, though they were not stocked with everything. No 55 or 65 gr Sierra GK's or 60 gr Partitions were left, but plenty of other weights and calibers. I didn't check primers or brass. And they had a few AR's (M4 variants, it appeared) and a short barreled M14 variant that was covered with picatinny rails. Hardly anybody in the store at lunchtime. Plenty of revolvers and semiauto pistols.
Old February 15, 2013, 05:41 PM   #3
chiefr

I have seen both of those powders around. The one that are predominately scarce (at least around here) are those used with the .223. Anyway congrats on your score.
Old February 15, 2013, 05:41 PM   #4
AllenJ

Count yourselves as lucky. I was able to pick up a pound of IMR7828 SSC powder at my local gun store but had to drive out of town, after many phone calls, for LR and LRM primers. My local gun stores bullet shelves are pretty bare too as I was looking to get some Barnes .284 150 grain TTSX but had to settle for the last box of TSX's instead.
Old February 15, 2013, 05:50 PM   #5
PawPaw

On the way home today my son called me and told me that our local indoor range had received a shipment of primers. I went to the range and talked to the guy. He got in 40K primers earlier this week and he's sold about half of them. I picked up 2K to replenish stocks. He also had HP-38 and Bullseye on the shelf. I didn't need powder, but I was glad to see that he had it in stock.

This craziness may be over in another month or so, if Joe Biden will keep his big mouth shut.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old February 16, 2013, 07:36 AM   #6
Mike40-11

Picked up 2 lbs of H4895 at the local reloading shop 2 weeks ago. Gotta have something to feed my Garand for the CMP matches this summer. Although that will only get me through 4 matches......
Old February 16, 2013, 10:27 AM   #7
hounddawg

I think it depends on the area. I went to two local stores yesterday. Both had all varieties of primers on the shelf. One store only had maybe 15 pounds of powder none of which I use, but they never have much more than that anyway. They are more oriented toward the skeet and hunting crowd. The larger store had plenty of everything at normal prices. All flavors of primers, lots of powder. That is here though, friend in Kansas I was talking to earlier is not as lucky.
Old February 16, 2013, 01:03 PM   #8
STW

I went by one store last night and three this morning, early. I only saw primers in one and they were for shotgun. Of the various powders I use I only saw Clays which I use for 45 acp but have 2 pounds on hand. Available handgun bullets were pretty much limited to revolver calibers. The only .224 bullets were premium, high priced.

I didn't need anything but some .380 dies so it this was only a casual observation. I learned my lesson and stocked up last year. However, I suspect my base stock will shift upwards in the future once this plays out.
Old February 16, 2013, 01:07 PM   #9
adamc

Here in CT nada
Just came back from cabelas........nada

Cant shoot with no primers powder brass bullets

Connecticut was the Cradle of the Gun Industry, NOW it is just a Pine Box,
Courtesy of our Governor "Chairman MAO Malloy"
Old February 16, 2013, 01:19 PM   #10
hounddawg

Quote:
I learned my lesson and stocked up last year. However, I suspect my base stock will shift upwards in the future once this plays out.
I topped off my supplies last fall just after the election just in case. Darn glad I did too. I think a lot of people in my area must have done the same since the only thing there was a shortage of locally was .22 LR ammo and for a month or so no "black guns" on the racks. Black guns are back, .22LR is getting there but one of the local stores has a 1K limit purchase per day limit. I can imagine where some of the people that live in the more liberal states would be wise to be prepared though
Old February 16, 2013, 03:29 PM   #11
spacecoast

Quote:
This craziness may be over in another month or so, if Joe Biden will keep his big mouth shut.
Good luck with that.
Old February 17, 2013, 06:07 AM   #12
Mike Irwin
Staff

Hey guys, how about posting prices along with your descriptions of what you find?

Prices are the other BIG element in this mess.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 17, 2013, 10:30 AM   #13
Mike40-11

H4895 was $26/lb near St. Louis.
Old February 17, 2013, 11:50 AM   #14
Ozzieman

The powders in the photo were 25$ each but the hazmat was ^$&^($&!!!
For 22LR the mountain store had these for 179$ each. I bought 2. At the time they had at least 50 of them but just about every one that walked by picked one up. I told friends about it but they were gone the next morning.

P.S. I will never buy another 22 LR for the rest of my life
And in 10 years I will retire on the value of the 2nd box.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.

Last edited by Ozzieman; October 1, 2016 at 05:22 PM.
Old February 17, 2013, 03:29 PM   #15
JHLL

I found some small pistol primers ( Lellier & Bellot ) yesterday, they are limiting to 100 per customer. $3.99
Old February 17, 2013, 05:58 PM   #16
mohr308

I posted this yesterday

I headed out the the somewhat local gun shop today! They finally got some primers and powder. So I scored on a 1lb. can of h335, 1000 cci 400 primers and a bag of bulk 500 55gr soft points. I'm not sure what brand these are, but I think these bullets might be Hornady?
I paid:
25$ for powder
40$ for primers
60$ for bullets