The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old February 9, 2013, 08:07 AM   #1
kryptkeeper2006

Standing order of protection

I live in Michigan and am thinking of purchasing my first handgun. About 6 years ago my ex and I who lived together broke up and she did not want to return some of my property to me. Having lived in the same house and I having locked myself out before I knew how to get in through a backdoor without the key and she knew this. We never had any domestic violence issues and I never entered the house after we split up but fearing I would in order to get my things back she filed for a ppo which I fought and ended up losing because the judge said if she feared me entering the house and we were broken up than there was no reason not to issue it. This was a one year ppo which expired in 2007 and was not extended. I am now engaged with a soon to be step son and an 18 month old daughter. My question is, as I understand it the law states that an order of protection must be in effect for it to be illegal for me to purchase a handgun. Am I correct in this? I would like to know before I fill out the ATF form attempting to purchase a handgun and answer no to the question.
Old February 9, 2013, 08:20 AM   #2
Tom Servo
Staff

If the order is in fact expired and there were never any domestic violence charges, you should be fine.

However, it would be a good idea to consult an attorney to be certain the order has been lifted.
Old February 9, 2013, 09:41 AM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

Welcome to The Firing Line, kryptkeeper2006!

Tom has already given you solid advice. The best advice that you'll be able to get around here is:
1) You should consult a lawyer versed firearms law, both on federal and state levels;
2) You should not consult a bunch of strangers over the internet for legal advice on potentially life-changing decisions;
3) Remember that what you discuss with your lawyer is confidential; and
4) Remember that what you post on the internet is not.

I'm going to close this thread to assist you in avoiding the temptation to post any more details that could potentially complicate your lawyer's job later. I wish you the best of luck in resolving this situation.