The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 29, 2012, 01:05 PM   #1
waterboy68

A few central Georgia pigs down

Went out with a guide around the Macon area this past weekend. Had some success. Thought I'd post a few pictures. Most of the pigs were pretty small though.
Mostly between 50-100 lbs I'd say.
Even though I've done this before it's still pretty impressive to see the damage they cause to the fields!

Old May 29, 2012, 01:30 PM   #2
Husqvarna

the last one there, sow with milk in her teets?

the first ones piglets of hers?
Old May 29, 2012, 02:07 PM   #3
waterboy68

Not sure about the milk. Guide said they've been seeing some of the females with some sort of disease that causes that. Mastitis of some sort?? Not sure how long they stay on the teet, but they all looked too big to still be nursing to me.
Old May 29, 2012, 02:41 PM   #4
Husqvarna

gotcha, hard to judge size in pictures and I may have been too confrontational, apologies, I know your situation is different, we never really shoot sows
Old May 29, 2012, 03:05 PM   #5
Hansam

Nice shooting there! I'd like to get out and kill a few hogs myself but alas we don't have a hog problem here... yet. When we do I'll be ready and waiting!

As for shooting sows - maybe in Europe they're sporting animals but here in America they're just invading marauders that need to be destroyed. I think most people here would agree with me when I say I'd shoot'em all, males, females and piglets!

Besides the piglets taste really good roasted over a fire...
Old May 29, 2012, 03:17 PM   #6
Husqvarna

Yup Hansam I understnad the problem but shooting sows only makes it worse with piglets turning into rouge pigs or whatever you wanna call them. It is the same with humans, kids growing up without parental figures you know

And over here they are either good or bad depending on who you ask hehe
Old May 30, 2012, 03:23 AM   #7
BIG P

Good job,Glad to see pigs down,wish u could get a 100 more.Boars sows pigs kill um all.
Old May 30, 2012, 06:44 AM   #8
Saltydog235

Quote:
Yup Hansam I understnad the problem but shooting sows only makes it worse with piglets turning into rouge pigs or whatever you wanna call them. It is the same with humans, kids growing up without parental figures you know
Pigs go wild or are wild within weeks of escaping a farm period. Those born wild are wild, period. Shoot every dang sow you see, when the piglets gather around her corpse, shoot them too. Or bash their skulls in with a stick or club. One sow can be responsible for 48 pigs or even more in 1 year. Kill them all.
Old May 30, 2012, 07:20 AM   #9
Doyle

Look closely at that spotted sow. See how her nose is shorter than the rest. That is an indication that she is genetically closer to a domestic pig than the rest. One of her parents or grand parents was probably a farm escapee. It takes a few generations to revert to that long piney-rooter snout.
Old May 30, 2012, 10:13 AM   #10
rickyrick

Sophisticated civilized less rouge pigs. Kinder gentler. I'm gonna start a support group called; Pigs Without Pops.

Nice shooting, thanks for the pics. That next to last one looks a little sooped up.
Old May 30, 2012, 04:44 PM   #11
waterboy68

If I had to guess I'd say all together we actually shot about 25 of them. Only put my hands on 15 of them. It was night hunting. So once they got out of the feilds into the woods it was about impossible to find them. I can tell you we didn't even put a dent in that population. One wheat field had more than 30 pigs in it when we first showed up!! One field was a sod farm. I mean come on...Sod What in the world will they eat in the sod?? Grubs maybe?Don't know, but I do know the fields were torn up so badly that you had to be careful not to sprain an ankle!
Old May 30, 2012, 06:16 PM   #12
rickyrick

That's pretty good hunting. How many people were in your party?

I hunt them alone so i usually get only one or two.

Are you alowed to use spotlights there?

There probly is some tastey grubs under the sod.
Old May 30, 2012, 07:31 PM   #13
Hansam

Quote:
shooting sows only makes it worse with piglets turning into rouge pigs or whatever you wanna call them
So let me ask this then since I'm fairly ignorant about the behavior of feral/wild hogs...

How is a rogue pig worse than a pig that grew up with a sow to feed on? As adults and even as weaned adolescents they both destroy fields by rooting for grubs and roots right? They both cause immense amounts of damage where they are present right? A rogue male will still find a female and reproduce right? A rogue female will still go into heat and reproduce with a male right?

So please educate me on how its different... or are you anthropomorphizing with the piglets and thinking that losing their mother will somehow be a hardship for them? If that's the case then I strongly urge you to seek out those piglets after you shoot their mother and put them out of their burgeoning hardship with a bullet of their own. That's what I would do and I'm sure most other hunters in this country.

Perhaps wherever you live these creatures are native and as such you can give them a bit of sympathy. Here they are NOT native and are a threat to agriculture and natural habitat for native species. That means that every feral hog I come across already has a death sentence on it and I'll carry out that sentence swiftly and without hesitation. If its a mother with multiple piglets suckling from its teets then I'll shoot the mother first and dispatch with the piglets afterwards. I assure you that there will be no sadness or sympathy for these animals in my mind or heart as I put a bullet in every one I find, boar, sow or piglet. If they manage to get a foothold in the state I live in I am also sure I won't be the only one who will be out there hunting them every chance I get and every one I come across will be given an earnest effort in killing it.
Old May 31, 2012, 07:25 AM   #14
Doyle

Quote:
How is a rogue pig worse than a pig that grew up with a sow to feed on? As adults and even as weaned adolescents they both destroy fields by rooting for grubs and roots right?
You've got to remember that Husqvarna is from Europe where he is unfamiliar with our wild hogs. Hansam, you are correct that ANY wild hog (whether or not he grows up with his own momma) is going to be a pest of the same magnitude.
Old May 31, 2012, 12:55 PM   #15
dieselbeef

only good pig is a dead pig..........
Old May 31, 2012, 01:40 PM   #16
dwright1951

I always try to only shoot sows or piglets, they eat better! Plus if you shoot sows you will have less piglets. Boars are too gamey.
Old June 1, 2012, 06:04 AM   #17
dieselbeef

shoot em all..the buzzards gotta eat too..the only good pig is buzzard poop
Old June 1, 2012, 08:47 PM   #18
BIG P

WATERBOY, I shoot a couple down your way yesterday.down by YUCHI WMA ON THE river side.theyre tearing up the mellon fields down there.
Theyre coyote bait now.