The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old August 19, 2009, 07:58 AM   #1
farmall

The Demise Of Layaway

Was at the Scheels in Lincoln NE, the other night and found out they'd discontinued their layaway program in favor of a Scheels credit card.

This kinda got my turbo spooled up a bit, as I have bought more than a few guns there over the years and used the layaway plan often. I don't think I ever let the full 90 days go before paying one off.

The salesman said "The credit card is sooooooo much better, you can just take your purchase home today, and as long as you pay off your card there is no interest either".

I have several credit cards, but refuse to use them for any non emergency purposes. My wife and I make a very decent living, but she is self employed, and our income varies alot month to month. I have used the laway program to grab a few guns that I could'nt pay for outright today, but knew I could in a few weeks or so.
Also, there have been times I couldn't afford a gun I wanted, but payed a bit more for it there, knowing I could use the layaway.

I told the explained to the salesman my position, and explained that, since I'll have to pay cash for all guns purchased there, I'll have to maximize the use of my money by shopping for the best price.......which usually wont be with them.

Anyone else seeing layaway going away? Most small shops around here still have it, and I'd rather give them my business anyway.

Andy
Old August 19, 2009, 08:29 AM   #2
Waterengineer

Credit cards are a revenue maker for Scheels where layaway is not. In fact layaway uses the revenue of the store to allow you to put it on layaway, so is a revenue "sink".

Layaway, historically, was a sales tool offered as a convienience to the purchaser. And, the store knew they had a sale and knew they would recognize the revenue when the item was paid off.

Today, in the world of thinner profit margins and ever increasing cost retailers want to recognize that revenue today not in the future (when you pay off the item.) And don't forget the hidden revenue the store makes for the credit card purchase.

Also, the credit card sheds some liability to the credit card company that Scheels is working with on the deal.

Yes, it is unfortunate that fewer stores are offering layaway but as BobDylan said in his song. "Times they are a changin'."

Now to finally answer your question Where I am in south FL the mom/pop stores and Gander Mountain are still offering layaway. I spend a lot of time in Denver. There it is tougher to find layaway.
Old August 19, 2009, 09:37 AM   #3
Glenn E. Meyer

Funny, some of the gun stores here do lay-away and in my other interest - coins - they do it also. 3 months and if you don't complete the deal - it becomes store credit.
Old August 19, 2009, 10:03 AM   #4
Joat

A lot of stores have phased out their lay-a-way program in favor of store credit cards. I hate to see this. I currently have three guns on lay-a-way spread between 2 different shops.

The stores are pawn shops and I have found that most pawn and loans have la-a-way available. You lose some of the "haggle factor" when putting things away at the pawn shop but if the price asked is good, so what? The ones I put back were priced right and I have 90 days on one and until Christmas for the other 2.

If it weren't for lay-a-way, I'd own a lot less guns.

Waiting to come home:
Marlin 1895CB in 45/70
Mossberg 500 12ga
S&W 65

Joat
Old August 19, 2009, 10:45 AM   #5
Waterengineer

I will have to say that layaway (and the smaller monetary transactions) has allowed a lot of guns to find a way to my house unbeknownst to the MRS.
Old August 19, 2009, 10:54 AM   #6
Skans

Lawaway is so 1950's. I didn't think anyone offered this anymore. I've never purchased anything on lawaway. Never saw the point. If I wanted it, I'd save up for it then buy it. It's called self control.
Old August 19, 2009, 11:47 AM   #7
Wleoff

Sometimes you don't want to take your guns home. A couple of weeks ago, I went to the CMP store in Anniston, AL and bought 2 Garands and a bunch of ammo. Then that Friday, Larry's in Huntsville had their annual Ruger sale. I found a blue GP100 for $419 that I had to have. I put it on lay-a-way. Now I've got 3 months to time when I bring it home. I've been married 38 years to the same woman and I've learned to time things, especially where new guns are involved.
Old August 19, 2009, 11:48 AM   #8
farmall

Saving up is fine, and my preferred method for purchasing new guns. But I buy most of mine used, and often the "one you've been looking for" becomes available when you least expect it to, like right after you've spent the savings on a different gun!. This is where the layaway comes in handy. It also works well to sneak a purchase "under the radar" if you have failed to get "approval from corporate". Married men know what I mean.

The sales person told me they had very few defaults on the layaway program. I know several shooters in the area that are a bit P.O.'d about this.

Andy
Old August 19, 2009, 11:52 AM   #9
Skans

Quote:
This is where the layaway comes in handy. It also works well to sneak a purchase "under the radar" if you have failed to get "approval from corporate". Married men know what I mean.
Point well taken - been down that road before myself. Something about wives and new guns....or guns and new wives - either way it's best to keep them seperated.
Old August 19, 2009, 12:00 PM   #10
CraigC

If you're gonna pay it off in less than three months anyway, what's the big deal? Pay what cash you can at the point of sale, then pay off the card in the short term. Layaway is essentially free credit, now you just have to pay a little for the convenience of putting your name on something you can't afford.
Old August 19, 2009, 12:23 PM   #11
Akalvarez

What a lot of people are saying is that you may find something on sale and you can reserve then while it is on sale. I have way to many credit cards and a lot of retailers can't wait to get one in your hand so you will use it. It starts out with a small purchase and then they got you.
Old August 19, 2009, 12:25 PM   #12
dev_null

Not to mention too many credit cards -- or even too many credit card applications -- can ding your credit score.
Old August 19, 2009, 05:16 PM   #13
Lurch37

Quote:
Lawaway is so 1950's. I didn't think anyone offered this anymore. I've never purchased anything on lawaway. Never saw the point. If I wanted it, I'd save up for it then buy it. It's called self control.
I have lots of self control, but I'm also a divorced father of three teens. That amount of extra cash and/or the ability to save it is tough, especially when your talking about a $600 or $700 or more gun. When I find a particular gun that I want to get my dealer is more than happy to put it on lay-away for me. Time is unimportant to him as he knows that every payday I will stop in and make a payment. If I make those payments to myself and save up, that particular gun will most likely not be there so this is a great way for me to buy a gun and for my dealer to sell a gun.

Last edited by Lurch37; August 19, 2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old August 19, 2009, 05:48 PM   #14
csmsss

I like to use layaway when I can. It's a real convenience for the reasons listed above, and also lets you "lock up" a hard-to-find firearm that you may not be ready to buy (or have funds for) today.
Old August 20, 2009, 07:41 AM   #15
farmall

Glad to see I'm not the only one that uses it this way. Another way I've used it is when I"m driving a company truck. We have a no guns in company vehicles policy, so I'll put it on layaway till I can get back with a personal vehicle to pick it up. Sometimes, too, the wife waits in my truck while I'm in the gunshop. Then layaway becomes a must, at lease until I can sneak back later.

Andy
Old August 20, 2009, 08:57 AM   #16
Sevens

Quote:
This kinda got my turbo spooled up a bit
Heh, had to read your post twice.

Neat saying, but it conveys the wrong message, IMO. When I hear "turbo spooled up!" I'm thinking "HELL YEAH!", not "jeez, that sucks!"

Old August 20, 2009, 09:49 AM   #17
farmall

Around here we use it to mean Pi$$ed off! Another one is to have your "Pyrometer in the red".

Too much time alone in a tractor or combine cab leads to some strange thoughts!

I'm in the process of composing a nastygram to Scheels over this!

Andy
Old August 20, 2009, 10:06 AM   #18
Farmland

To be honest I didn't even know layaway's were still a practice. I thought that was something you did around Christmas at K-marts in the 1960's - 1970's when you didn't have money.

Last edited by Farmland; August 20, 2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old August 20, 2009, 10:25 AM   #19
hornady

Farmland we were talking a few days back. Well Bees will law-away guns. I was in there a while back, the only thing he told the guy. Was if the price goes up. He would charge the higher price. So not really a true lay away. But for someone a little short on money, not a bad deal.
Old August 20, 2009, 11:21 AM   #20
Farmland

I guess I will have to stop and take a look at Bees the next time I pass by. Do they have any reloading supplies, like bulk bullets?
Old August 20, 2009, 12:31 PM   #21
farmall

Is Bee's a regional chain, or a locally owned store?
Old August 20, 2009, 12:52 PM   #22
Farmland

Just a little good ole country gun shop.
Old August 20, 2009, 02:34 PM   #23
farmall

The best kind! Unfortunatly, the Scheels is the only place within 80 miles or so that has any clout to get reloading supplies right now. I tried to boycott them a few years ago, but could only hold out for about 8 months.
There just isn't a good source of reloading components around here anywhere else.

Andy
Old August 20, 2009, 04:06 PM   #24
NWTerritorial13

I really think layaways for some people is a good deal others would rather just use a credit card.
I know I have done some and the people are always on time and have never defaulted. I think they are just happy that you are willing to help them and that they are getting what they want.
Old August 20, 2009, 04:35 PM   #25
berettaprofessor

You guys/gals using layaway to slow down recognition of your purchases by spouses really have to learn how to sneak better.....some suggestions:

1. Give it to a friend and have them come by to "return the gun they borrowed". Works best if it's a friend you can trust not to delay the delivery for a few months while they test-fire it.

2. Bring it in wrapped and tell the spouse it's a gift for a co-worker.

3. Attach a lampshade and tell the spouse it's a new table lamp for your reloading bench.

Feel free to make up your own. These are plagarized and I don't know the original sources.
Closed Thread