The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 4, 2009, 07:18 PM   #26
pohill

I'd say Spiller & Burr but it has the round barrel and there is no release knob for the loading lever, or a hole where there had been one. The SHAWK & MCLANAHAN makes sense, too, but for the grip.
Also, look at this pic of the Spiller & Burr - the barrel threads do not extend inside the frame as they do in the mystery gun (but other models of the S&B did have the threads inside the frame).
http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20ameri...iller%20gb.htm

It also looks like the mystery gun only has two screws in the side of the frame over the trigger, not the three of the S & B,

Last edited by pohill; January 4, 2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old January 4, 2009, 07:27 PM   #27
Riot Earp

It looks like a crude bastardization of the Spiller & Burr, First Model. The triggerguard is wrong for a real S&B. And so is the barrel, as mentioned.

By the way, there is mention of two "Shawk & McLanahan six-shooters" in Louis L'Amour's novel To Tame A Land, one of his better books. I had no idea what they were when I read the story.

Last edited by Riot Earp; January 4, 2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old January 4, 2009, 07:35 PM   #28
pohill

Take a look at this Shawk and McLanahan - it doesn't have a release knob in the frame, either.

Old January 4, 2009, 08:24 PM   #29
Hawg

Close but not exact.
Old January 4, 2009, 09:53 PM   #30
DrLaw

Looks like the S&M (yeah, try saying that with a straight face ) was a knock-off patent infringment of the Whitney and Remington, both.

I guess they did that a lot before China got into the manufacturing age.

The Doc is out now.
Old January 4, 2009, 11:11 PM   #31
pohill

If anything, the Remington was a knockoff since it came later. I wonder why Colt didn't produce the full framed revolver that he had a patent for in the 1850s (other than the Root).
Old January 6, 2009, 07:07 PM   #32
Arquebus

To the OP Have you sent the photo to the guys at the firearms museum at the Buffalo Bill Historical Center in Cody, WY? They would probably be able to shed a bit more light on its origins. Depending on were you're at in MT, you may be able to drive the revolver down there to show it to someone at the museum.

The Memoirs of Barry Lyndon, Esq. (William Thackeray).