The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 21, 2008, 10:37 PM   #26
justin10985

By disposable hangun, I assume you are looking for a Saturday Night Special? Well get a Rossi .38 revolver. Cheap yet dependable.
Old February 21, 2008, 10:38 PM   #27
KyJim

There are still a lot of SW Model 10 revolvers out there that are rough on the outside but function fine and are fairly inexpensive. I bought one a couple of years ago for $150 that I carry in my car when I know I'm going somewhere I can't carry concealed.
Old February 21, 2008, 10:45 PM   #28
chupps

S&W model 10 by my beside for this very reason. Great revolver, goes bang every time, $190. If I need it, it will perform. If it is stolen, I'll spend another $190.
Old February 21, 2008, 10:50 PM   #29
DougO83

Honestly...

I would buy a wheelgun...I bought a Rossi .38 snub for a couple of hundred. Or, hell, buy a Hi-Point, they are pretty much disposable as it is...

Matt 6:33
Old February 21, 2008, 10:53 PM   #30
DougO83

umm...

Quote:
A good point about handguns tied to you being lost or stolen. Might be worth the extra dollars to buy one privately and not have the paper on it.
Isn't that illegal? I thought the gun you carried had to be registered to you. Besides, if the weapon you carry is stolen, file with NCIS and you're basically off the hook. There's a thread on here about that somewhere...

Matt 6:33
Old February 21, 2008, 10:58 PM   #31
justin10985

I dont know the laws where you live, but I do know that in Florida there are no laws thast require you to register a gun. Also there are no laws in florida that say you cannot buy/sale privately. Obviously if you are not legally able to buy a gun then that is another story.
Old February 21, 2008, 11:03 PM   #32
wyocarp

I just bought another G19. I am impressed with how accurate it is. Mine aren't all that ugly though, they are custom Glocks which look a little nicer.
Old February 21, 2008, 11:07 PM   #33
wyocarp

Quote:
Isn't that illegal? I thought the gun you carried had to be registered to you.
Does anyone know anything about this?

I have had my serial numbers called in on the guns I was carrying but they were all registered to me. What would have happened if they weren't?
Old February 21, 2008, 11:13 PM   #34
UniversalFrost

no real problem. As long as you are a law abiding person.

Personally, I own mabe 10 pistols and I can't remember how many long guns that I bought face to face from somebody and I never filled out any paperwork. Of course the sellers always wanted to see some form of ID like drivers lic or CCW permit.

Also, I did turn down one real good deal once when the guy didn't care about any id and only wanted to deal in cash. Had a bad feeling about that one and just passed on the good deal.

some times when you buy a gun face to face I have called in the numbers to have them ran. Everytime the seller had no problem. The PD are normally only supposed to run numbers on a gun when you bring it to them, but since I went to school with most of the cops in the small SD town I am from they have no problem "bending" the rules. I did call in a set of numbers once down here in AZ and they gave me the run around, but did run the numbers.

JOE

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old February 22, 2008, 09:00 AM   #35
TNFrank

Some of ya'll must have a lot more money to blow on guns then I do because I really don't consider a $500 Glock as "Disposable" at all. Even getting one on the used market you'll pay around $400 and that's still not disposable in my book. CZ-52@$130 would be closer or maybe a used Jennings for about $60 bucks.
“You know what the difference between me and you really is? You look out there and see a horde of evil, brain eating zombies. I look out there and see a target rich environment.” -Dillis D. Freeman Jr.11/2/2001
Old February 22, 2008, 09:01 AM   #36
bigbadbowtie

I may get laughed at but my tacklebox gun is a RG model 40 snub .38. This particular gun is actually very reliable and quite accurate at 20ft. Its not a lead spitter and allways goes bang.
Old February 22, 2008, 09:26 AM   #37
carguychris

Quote:
Isn't that illegal? I thought the gun you carried had to be registered to you.
Absolutely not. There is absolutely no federal requirement whatsoever to maintain any kind of record on a private face-to-face transaction with someone who resides in the same state as you.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b16

Some states and municipalities restrict or prohibit face-to-face firearms purchases and/or require all guns to be registered, but that ain't the case in Texas, y'all.

[EDIT] One footnote as it relates to gun control: this is one reason why it's specious to draw conclusions about gun crimes from federal trace data. That data only records the last person to whom the gun was sold by a FFL. Since there has never been a requirement to report private transactions to the Feds, the trail ends when the gun passes over the last FFL's counter, and as you can imagine, many guns have been "out of the system" for decades.
Old February 22, 2008, 09:31 AM   #38
dalegribble

A Hipoint is a good choice and it fits all the requirements. Cheap, common ammo and its works! I bought one brand new, added 4 magazines, a holster and some ammo all for under $200. And if I lose it I won't cry.

I have been kicking around the idea of puting together a bug out bag with the Hipoint in it. Say what you want about Hipoints but they are inexpensive and they work every time. I know some high class names and high dollar pistols that can't make that claim.
Old February 22, 2008, 10:10 AM   #39
OldCorp

Sounds like what was being asked is 'What's your truck gun?' i.e., what works pretty good and wouldn't break the bank if it got stolen, beat up , etc.

Mine's a Makarov loaded with 'good ammo', ie Hornady XTPs and a bunch of Commie Ball stored in the truck in case a plinking opportunity presents itself.
The Mak. is stored loaded, concealed, accessible and fairly hard for the uninformed to locate. No giant loss if it somehow gets gone.
Old February 22, 2008, 10:15 AM   #40
UniversalFrost

if you want to know truck guns then here are mine

old sks with folding stock and detachable mags. I really need to get a 52 or mak though as a good truck pistol.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old February 22, 2008, 11:21 AM   #41
CraigC

Quote:
Some of ya'll must have a lot more money to blow on guns then I do
It's really a question of emotional attachment, replaceability and intangible "value". It's not about throwing away money. The modern autoloader is without soul, unlike a fine old S&W, 1911 or single action revolver. There is no mourning the loss of one, it is merely a tool. Like any other tool, you still expect it to do the job. This is why I'll pay $400 for a used Glock rather than a cheap, low quality gun. It is unlikely that it will ever have to be disposed of or lost but in the event that you do need it, it REALLY needs to work. At that point, whatever you paid for it will NOT matter one single little bit. In matters of life and death, cheap can be WAAAY too expensive. Afterwards, it won't hurt when you get it back and it looks like it went through a tumbler or was dragged behind a truck. You won't cry when a cop whose seen too many movies tells you to "drop it".
Old February 22, 2008, 12:13 PM   #42
Gbro

Carguychris said'
Quote:
the trail ends when the gun passes over the last FFL's counter, and as you can imagine, many guns have been "out of the system" for decades.
Then there are the(New'er) FFL's that let there license go. They have to send in all the form 4473's.

Then the 5 day thing.
If you purchase more than 1 handgun in a 5 day period a separate form is filled out and sent in with full info on you and the gun's. Those gun's are for all practical purpose, REGISTERED

So buying from a long established gun store could keep your info out of the computers, and Do/Not buy more than 1 handgun per week(5day).
Old February 22, 2008, 12:16 PM   #43
Playboypenguin

My S&W 637 fills that very roll. It is common enough to not be an issue to replace, inexpensive enough to not panic over if lost or stolen, and reliable/powerful enough to do the job when I am away from home.
Old February 22, 2008, 12:41 PM   #44
B.N.Real

Glocks a good idea-just make sure it's always in something that blocks the trigger.

There are alot of old revolvers out there with terribly worn bluing that has NOTHING to do with what a great weapon they are.

The KelTec P11 is a fine weapon as a disposable-just make sure you use the thing several hundred rounds before you 'store' it.

I can't say this enough-check every week with your local gunshop for used guns.

I just checked a local one and found a brand new Taurus ultralite .38 and almost new Rossi .38(sweet action on that one) both for $280 each and a 380 Chinese knockoff of a Sig design for $265(fairly nice pistol).

The two revolvers were apparently bought by guys that their wives told them to return the handguns.

The two revolvers I'd very much defend me and my loved ones with and they are good quality,safe, reliable and 'cheap' (if that applies) firearms.

And 'disposable.'
Old February 22, 2008, 12:50 PM   #45
Elvishead

For real?
Old February 22, 2008, 12:52 PM   #46
B.N.Real

Yea.
Old February 22, 2008, 12:52 PM   #47
Doyle

To me, a PA-63 is as close to a disposable firearm as I'd want to own. They have a reputation for being supurbly reliable and you can get them for about $125 if you have a C&R.
Old February 22, 2008, 01:11 PM   #48
Beretta686

Sig 225 trade-in: 259.00. I don't think you can beat that combo of price and reliability.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/S...mm_Pistol.html

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old February 22, 2008, 01:58 PM   #49
Sundance

Thanks for all the responses. This thread created even more interest than I expected.

I am glad that most of you understood that by disposable I did not mean junk. The gun must still be combat accurate, completely reliable, and durable. It has to be reasonably priced (not necessarily cheap) so as not to be too big of a financial blow if it was lost or stolen, and it can not have any sentimental attachment or irreplaceable characteristics to it.

Some of you mentioned that you would never leave a gun in an automobile. Well I am glad that you have that luxury. But what if you drove from home to a nearby city to get on an airplane? Would you just go unarmed from home to the airport?

Or what if you worked somewhere where it was forbidden to carry firearms? Would you just be unarmed on the way to and from work and anywhere you stopped on the way?

And what about if I want to fly from one city where my handgun permit is valid to another city where my handgun permit is valid. I can legally secure my handgun in my suitcase and have it with me on the way to the airport, and then with my after I land. But luggage gets lost/stolen all the time.

This is a very valid concern for anyone who wants to be legally armed as much as is feasible. I do not intend to be the one person who got robbed, beaten, killed, or had to watch my wife get raped because my gun was at home because it wasn't convenient, or because I was afraid it might get lost or stolen. A $400 Glock is a very cheap insurance policy.

Thanks for all the input, and keep it coming. I am actually considering a new S&W 637 in addition to the Glock 19 for a couple of "disposables." The new 637 would have the lock, and who in their right mind could become sentimentally attached to one with the lock?
Old February 22, 2008, 02:12 PM   #50
YukonKid

I said Glock earlier because it is the cheapest thing to buy that is not crap. There are a lot of cheaper guns, but i want it to still be reliable. Glocks have good reliability at a low price, where as a HP has bad reliability as a low price. Revolvers are a different story, a old ugly model 10 will be just as reliable as a Glock for 150 bucks, but i thought we were just talking auto loaders.

If it is somewhere were it can bounce around though you better have it some some cheap kydex holser with a trigger block.

YK
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!