The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 22, 2005, 10:33 PM   #76
impact

Quote:
I have seen too many slippery slopes before,
Trip20 I want to know what Butch means by this?
Old September 22, 2005, 10:54 PM   #77
Trip20

impact the answer to your question is in his very next sentence:

Quote:
Given time hunting will become something completely unrecognizable and without challenge, if we keep allowing technology to run without restraint.
Old September 23, 2005, 08:36 AM   #78
impact

Unrecognizable! Every year there are more and more restrictions on hunting and this started a long time ago. Yah lets go back to those 4 bore shotguns that the market hunters used to kill many ducks with one shot.(No more Labrador ducks because of that). When I was a kid I made good money trapping Muskrat and Coon. You don't see that much anymore. keep every Victor trap you find. They are becoming collectables.

On a good note! Where I hunt has been a one buck county for many years. This is the second year I could take two doe. So I guess all that Hight tech stuff really does not make a big difference.
Old September 23, 2005, 05:53 PM   #79
butch50

Quote:
On a good note! Where I hunt has been a one buck county for many years. This is the second year I could take two doe. So I guess all that Hight tech stuff really does not make a big difference.
Excellent! I don't believe that the technology we have at hand today is going to make a real difference in the overall number of deer killed. It may someday. Right now though the technology is rapidly, and I mean rapidly, accelerating to a point where the concept of traditional ML is going to be lost. I am advocating that the seasons that were distintcly set aside for MLs, as they were known at the time, should remain set aside for MLs that are traditional.

People who use what is basically centerfire technology (and scopes if they are not visually impaired) disguised as a ML to hunt with during ML season are violating the spirit of the ML season.

‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’ ~ Patrick Henry