The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 23, 2011, 09:14 AM   #1
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

USA Supressor and Air rifles.

So the Gamo "Whisper" was left alone because the "can" is integral and not able to be easily modified to a firearm... *or some such wording...

So would a person be able to build a full featured threaded can if it is only bored for .177 pellets?

Or is the existence of the .17 rimfires gonna be a quick end to my research... The way I "farm" my squirrels for reptile food, they are hard to hunt.

Brent
Old February 23, 2011, 09:49 AM   #2
Redbullitt

You can build whatever you want through the nfa lol.

I do think that you will have an issue thanks to the 17 mag and 17M2.

BUT I could be wrong. May be worth looking into.
Old February 23, 2011, 10:16 AM   #3
Willie Lowman

If it could be used on a firearm, it's restricted.
Old February 23, 2011, 05:27 PM   #4
KLRANGL

Theoretically, if you had a .177 pellet rifle with an integral suppressor you would be fine, but the problem is in actually building the suppressor. The ATF seems to think (or so I hear) that a single suppressor baffle would constitute a firearm suppressor. So unless you have a Form 1 laying around, it might not be a good idea to start fabricating baffles even if the end result is in the use of an integral suppressor for an air rifle.

I had this problem a while back while trying to legally customize an airsoft bolt action rifle to one with an integral suppressor. I couldn't find a satisfactory answer, so I dropped the project.
Old February 23, 2011, 05:43 PM   #5
Skans

Do those integral suppressors on the Gamo rifle actually work? What noise is it suppressing?
Old February 23, 2011, 08:27 PM   #6
chasep255

I think that the problem with some to the definitions above is that many things could be theoretically be used as a suppressor. For instance have you ever heard of a soda can suppressor? Well last I checked you don't need to send forms into the ATF to buy a coke. Also can't some baffles in basic suppressors be made from washers available in a hardware store? If so shouldn't you need a form for these? I'm not trying to say that what the people above posted is wrong because I agree with them but I think it goes to show how screwed up out national firearm laws are. Also on a side note I live in NJ where BB guns, pellet rifles, and even slingshots are regulated as actual firearms and require an FFL:barf:!!!! I wanted a Gamo Whisper but in my state that is a Class 3 weapon.
Old February 23, 2011, 09:46 PM   #7
Willie Lowman

Quote:
Well last I checked you don't need to send forms into the ATF to buy a coke. Also can't some baffles in basic suppressors be made from washers available in a hardware store? If so shouldn't you need a form for these?
No. You don't need a form 1 to buy a coke but if you put a bottle on the end of your gun you have made that bottle into a NFA item. Do that and you best be ready to accept legal responsibility for what you have done. Same for washers in a pipe attached to the muzzle of your gun.
Old March 9, 2011, 09:21 PM   #8
frick74

We wanted to suppress our paintball guns, till we found it was a no no.

Remember back in the day when a company made an adapter to clamp on your barrel that accepted the threads of a 2 liter bottle.

BING! it was off the market a short time later.

Silly that a 2 liter bottle, and a roll of duct tape can be called a suppressor.
Old April 3, 2011, 07:06 AM   #9
Rugerismisticness

The Whisper actually has very little noise to start with if you use pellets heavy enough to balance the barrel length and powerplant volume. When gamo endorses their stupid PBA junk, thats when it gets loud. BTW, pellets this light (sub 7gr) will actually break the seals and springs in the powerplant. Suppressors used on PCPs and other numatics will certainly quite them down.

A while ago, I worked on an airgun and installed a barrel integrated suppressor in a sort of way. It used the barrel shroud as the suppressor walls, the baffles were foam, and the barrel ran the entire length. I "ported" the barrel where it runs the last 5" of the shroud. This is a very quite method.