The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 21, 2008, 03:12 PM   #1
FlyLow

Knight LRH or T/C Omega?

I am going to be purchasing my first M/L soon and have narrowed it down to either the T/C Omega or Knight Long Range Hunter... I think! I would like to get one with a laminated thumb hole stock. Anyone have any suggestions on one or the other? I would really like to hear from those that have been around both. I primarily hunt in Utah, and will be using open sights as we can not use anything over 1x. Thanks for any advice you can give.
Old December 21, 2008, 04:51 PM   #2
Pahoo

In most cases for Whitetails I'd go with the Omega. In your case, I would look at all specs and this time, might lean toward the Knight. The knight is heavier so you will feel it at the end of a long day. Typically what are you hunting and what ranges are you seeing? Cost is another factor. Lots if's here ...

Be Safe !!!
Old December 21, 2008, 06:04 PM   #3
FlyLow

I will be hunting both Mule deer and Elk. I doubt I will take any shots over 200 yards since I will be shooting open sights and that would be about my limit I think. I have found the Omega is about $100 cheaper. Do you think one is any more accurate than the other?
Old December 21, 2008, 06:16 PM   #4
HOGGHEAD

Comparison

I can give you a real comparison between the two rifles. I have owned 2 of the Omega's, and one of the Knight rifles.

Trigger---Hands down the Knight trigger is superior. The Omega trigger is one of it's weakest links.

Both rifles come with good quality open sights.

The Knight LRH is a heavier rifle.

It takes 2 minutes longer to clean the LRH.

The Omega is a very accurtate rifle. But it is very finicky to find the accuracy. Also the barrel is very "tight". It was difficult to get a second shot down the one Omega, and it was impossible to get a second load in the other rifle. I actually broke a ramrod trying to load a second shot without completely cleaning the bore.

The LRH is not finicky. It is a bit tight, But it will digest any sabot load or conical that you put in it.

The LRH comes with an accuracy guarantee, the Omega does not.

The LRH has a better stock(IMO). It is not a flimsy stock. However the Omega laminated stock is very nice, but heavier than the composite.

In the long run I favored the LRH. Both rifles shot great, but I liked the fact that the LRH was not as finicky, and it was easier to load. Tom.

Old December 21, 2008, 06:40 PM   #5
FlyLow

Thanks Tom, that is the type of report I am looking for. Did you find the LRH to be more accurate in your hands? Also what do you feel the LRH shot best, sabots or conicals?
Old December 21, 2008, 06:50 PM   #6
HOGGHEAD

Accuracy

Both rifles shot great. IMO the LRH has a slight edge in accuracy, but I do not think that in a hunting situation you could tell the difference. For me the real difference was that the LRH would shoot any load well, while I found the Omega's to be finicky. This is really no big deal once you find the proper load, but it takes a little time to find that load. For me the last straw for the Omega was when I was hunting with the rifle. I shot a deer and wanted to do a fast reload in case the deer got back up(fortunately he did not), but I was unable to get the second load down the bore.

A lot of shooters have had this problem witn the Omega's. And they have went to the Easy Glide sabots. That solution is great as long as the EZ glides shoot well in the rifle. However it pis*** me off just a bit when you spend that much money for a firearm and it is that finicky. Tom.
Old December 21, 2008, 06:55 PM   #7
HOGGHEAD

Bullets

The Barnes 250 grain TMZ bullets shot the best in the LRH. They will stay right at 1 inch at 100 yards. I cast my own conical. It is a 525 grain heavy weight bullet. It will stay around 1-1/2 inches, never over 2 inches at 100 yards. I have a Leupold with the B&C reticle. The rifle shoots great, and accurately out to 250 yards. the reticle works great as long as you take the time to calibrate it properly.

If I was shooting open sights i would go to the peep sight for the rear sight. Tom.
Old December 21, 2008, 07:28 PM   #8
FlyLow

Tom, thanks a lot for all of the help! I will be shooting with a peep. If I do end up with a LRH would you mind if I ask you a few questions from time to time?
Old December 21, 2008, 07:32 PM   #9
HOGGHEAD

????????????

No problem. Tom.
Old December 24, 2008, 01:55 PM   #10
jaymag

Bought a knight rolling block!

I bought a knight rolling block because of the easy intallment and exit of the caps.Check it out.It drops the caps right into your hand.It still has the green mountain barrrel like the lr hunter.I put a bushnell banner 4 power scope.I get one inch groups at 80 yrds. all day. One of my most accurate rifles.Hope this hepls?Jay
Old December 25, 2008, 11:26 PM   #11
sourdough44

3 Knight Discs here, the partner has an Omega. I'll take my Knight.
Old December 28, 2008, 10:22 PM   #12
btolliverjr

I have not shot the Knight, but I have recently purchased my first in-line muzzleloader which is the TC Omega Z5. Tom posted about the trigger. I think the trigger in the Z5 is fantastic. (However, I have not handled the Knight so I have no comparison, but I can't see it being any better than the Omega). If you are limited to open sights, I would recommend going with a traditional styly percussion muzzleloader. They are more fun I think, and if you aren't able to use a scope then the long range offered by an in-line isn't really needed!