The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 24, 2002, 09:08 PM   #1
Slater

Remington 870 Express finish

What exactly is the finish on this shotgun? I've heard that it was powder coating, and someone else said it was blueing over a beadblast finish. Sure doesn't look like Parkerizing.
Old June 24, 2002, 10:32 PM   #2
Chang

It seems to me like a sandblast and then a good blueing. It's not really all that scratch resistant whatever it is. And I don't think its a coating.
Old June 25, 2002, 08:48 AM   #3
HSMITH

I have been told that it is a paint, like a powder coat. It is not as durable as a good powdercoat though. Step up to the 870SP if you want a good durable finish as it is parkerized, or paint the express as soon as you get it home.
Old June 25, 2002, 09:33 AM   #4
9mmMike

I read that it is blueing over unfinished metal. I like it just fine on my Express'. It "seems" to actually soak up CLP. I know its an illusion but it sure is easy to clean and it does not fingerprint like my non-express (nice blueing) finished 870.
Mine is holding up OK although I am not too hard on my guns so I can not compare it to a SG that gets chucked into the trunk or under the car seat or some such bullying.
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old June 25, 2002, 09:50 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

It's bluing over unsmoothed and polished metal. That finish does hold oil better than a glossy blue. Neither finish will withstand as much abuse as the Phosphate finishes we generically call "Parkerizing", but the Express finish is not that far behind, especially in salty environments.

I've used Remoil, CLP, and now SLIP 2000 mostly on the outside of my shotguns and they work well. Some guides I know swear by using a coat of auto wax on the exterior on any shotgun renders it impervious to moisture, tho I note some of these are pretty beat up looking.None seem rusty.
Old June 25, 2002, 04:53 PM   #6
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Do what I did to a couple Rem Express' .... strip & degrease thoroughly. Then just use a standard can of brown-colored (or take yer pick) Rustolium & hit the bricks (mask as you see fit). I did do a turkey-gun with a vagarity of colorations ..... home-made camo-coat - be creative.

Looks like hell, but does blend into the woodwork enough so a human can't detect it at 10 yards ..... turkeys don't do nearly as well.

I did the wood & metal ..... one gun that if brought out on The Strip would get me thrown off the field .... certainly not cute enough for the "sporting community." Disappears good enough for all the critters & still works for me - certainly still shoots .....

& Dave thinks he's got a Frankenstein ....