The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 13, 2019, 04:46 PM   #1
hunter john

8mm/06 shooters

does anyone else out their shoot a 8mm/06 ackley improved.
Old February 13, 2019, 07:44 PM   #2
RC20

There?
Old February 13, 2019, 07:48 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The 8mm06 was a common re-chambering after WW II. Bring-back 98s. I've seen little mention of them, here or at The High Road.org, in twenty years.
Old February 13, 2019, 08:09 PM   #4
taylorce1

Had a regular 8mm-06 for about 5-6 years, I sold it as I rarely shot it. It was accurate enough, I just really didn't warm up to it as I already had a .338-06 and .35 Whelen. It just doesn't make sense for a 8mm-06 now that 8X57 brass is easy to get, I sure wouldn't buy another but if you're giving one away!
Old February 14, 2019, 07:24 AM   #5
Mobuck

If I had one, I'd re-barrel it to something using OTC ammo.
Old February 14, 2019, 08:23 AM   #6
ligonierbill

I never reamed mine to "Improved" but I did work loads for it. I got a small advantage over 8x57, but I never got great accuracy. I think it was the original barrel and somewhat worn. I put a 6.5x55 on it. If anyone wants dies, contact me.
Old February 14, 2019, 12:10 PM   #7
briandg

Now THAT is an odd thing to have. I'm having a hard time imagining that even one in a thousand people would regularly shot one. At least in america, where so many people are obsessed with the new and have no truck with the past. I thought that it was interesting that the improved rounds were so similar to the 'new and improved' weatherby rounds.
Old February 14, 2019, 08:48 PM   #8
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Immediately after the war, Mausers were dirt-cheap; Model 70s cost around $70, up from pre-war's $50-ish. Reaming cost somewhere between $5 and $10.

Wonderful deal for po'-boy deer hunters.
Old February 15, 2019, 09:13 AM   #9
briandg

Then there was Elwood Epps and his 303 improved in the surplus enfields. Nobody had to go without a deer rifle.
Old February 17, 2019, 06:53 AM   #10
eastbank

a friend has a real nice sporter 98 mauser made in the late 40,s in 8mm-06 that his dad had made after the war, he doesn,t hunt . I have tried to buy it but its part of his fathers history, we have fired it with loads from the 60,s and its just as accurett and one of my sporterized 03A3,s in 3006. loading it is a snap, just run a lubed 3006 case into the size die and prime-powder and seat a 8mm bullet and fire form.
Old February 17, 2019, 02:15 PM   #11
F. Guffey

I have three Mausers that are chambered to 8MM06. I have heard reloaders on internet reloading forums list the problems with Mausers with long chambers and generous necks; I did not take them seriously because I had other more accurate sources of information.

But, what was it to me? I purchased a 8MM06 reamer, I increased the length of the 8mm57 chamber .127" from the shoulder of the chamber to the case head . At the same time I was reading about bench resters claiming the firing pin drove the case shoulder to the chamber shoulder when it struck the primer. And I said to myself; I have to believe he said it, What I can not believe was all of these reloaders reading this stuff as he made it up and believing him

I understand; it says do not try this at home: (OR AT THE FIRING RANGE) I chambered 8mm57 ammo into one of my 8/06 chambers, I pulled the trigger; the firing pin busted the primer and the case did not take off for the front of the chamber. After the bank I ejected the fired case. What happened to the case when fired is beyond the comprehension of most reloaders; to verify the results I fire a few more rounds of 8mm57 ammo in one of my 8mm/06 chmabers. No fluke, the results was the same and predictable.

If insults could have changed the results I would have had to change the results; no matter how many 8mm57 rounds I fired in the 8mm06 chamber I could not get the shoulder to move, I could not stretch the case between the case head and case body and ever time I fired one the shoulder was erased and became part of the case body. And then there was the neck before firing and after firing; the neck proved the case did not move when fired.

Yes, I have an 8mm06 Mauser, I did not find a down side. I sent most of my 8MM Remington Mag stuff up to Alaska, I kept all of my 200 grain + 8MM bullets for the 8MM06.

F. Guffey
Old February 17, 2019, 02:24 PM   #12
F. Guffey

Quote:
we have fired it with loads from the 60,s and its just as accurate as one of my sporterized 03A3,s in 3006.
I also have the 308 Norma Mag reamer for the 30/06 chamber. I also have a reamer that no one talks about that is not as common as the 8mm06 and 308 Norma Mag reamers. And I have 4 of the most common Ackley reamers.

F. Guffey
Old February 17, 2019, 06:31 PM   #13
TX Nimrod

Quote:
does anyone else out their shoot a 8mm/06 ackley improved.
To answer the OP’s question, my hunting buddy in Alaska had one, a sporterized M98. He loaded Remington 185 CoreLokts, killed caribou and a moose. Performed very well, all animals dead with one shot. But what does he really want to know?

Old February 18, 2019, 01:39 AM   #14
10-96

Quote:
I also have a reamer that no one talks about that is not as common as the 8mm06 and 308 Norma Mag reamers.
I'm guessing that reamer is like that proverbial drunk uncle, and doesn't get invited to family get-togethers? Lol.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old February 18, 2019, 10:27 AM   #15
F. Guffey

Quote:
I'm guessing that reamer is like that proverbial drunk uncle, and doesn't get invited to family get-togethers? Lol.
True, it was a shared reamer and then he died. I did not look forward to purchasing one to finish barrels I have started. Last weak I went to my favorite gun parts store to sell 2 rifles. When finished I ask him if he knew what happened to the our friends shop. He said he purchased all (?) of it, it was about that time I asked about the disposition of a short list of parts/equipment etc.

Luck: He had the reamer, He loaned it to me; I have three barrels to finish. The barrels are heavy bench rest type barrels + he gave me one that was threaded for an 03A3. I do not have an O3 receiver I am willing to give up. I have an O3A4 barrel that is chambered to 308 Norma Mag.

I just sold 2 rifles and it looks as thought it will be necessary to purchase 2 receivers.

Cases for both barrel chambers have to be formed, the builder of the rifles ask for help with the forming process. I told him I had to determine if it could be done. By that time he had already sold one 308W bench rest type rifle to an internet reloader. My friend wanted to know what could be cone because he has already built the rifle; 'I fixed it'

F. Guffey