The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 11, 2019, 07:57 PM   #1
Nathan

Dillon Dies

2 questions....do they work in a LNL press?

Are they better in some way than Hornady dies?
Old February 12, 2019, 07:14 AM   #2
Old 454

I love dillon dies.
In my opinion I think there the best die out there.

There pistol die for sizing and recapping has a spring in it to keep a recapped primer from coming back into the pocket.
Rifle dies are full length size and small base.
And being able to remove a pin and take out the guts and clean your dies with out loosing OAL setting is very nice.

There more expensive then most. But I think there worth the extra price
Old February 12, 2019, 05:19 PM   #3
Crunchy Frog

I use Dillon dies in my LNL-AP and they are great, with a couple of caveats. Dillon Pistol dies do not include an Expander die since the Dillon Powder Die performs that function. You will need to either purchase a stand alone Expander Die and put it in Station 2, or order a Hornady PTX and put it in your Hornady case activated powder measure.

Also Dillon dies have non locking rings. I replaced mine with Hornady split rings so that the dies would stay put in the LNL bushings.
Old February 12, 2019, 05:56 PM   #4
DukeConnor

Also be aware that the dillon SDB dies only work in the Dillon SDB press. If you but Dillon be sure to get the conventional dies.

I am a big fan of them. Any time I have strayed from them I regretted it.
Old February 12, 2019, 06:10 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Nathan,

The Dillon standard dies are very good. Being designed specifically for progressive loaders, they tend to have a little more mouth radius so you don't jam a case against them and the sizing dies tend to be on the tight side, so an extra springy case still gets resized in them. The rifle dies use a carbide expander which has less friction with the brass and tends, therefore not to pull necks off axis as much as a standard die can.

The expander die is a necessity, though. If you don't have the LNL powder-through expander and measure, you can get a Lyman Multi-expander that covers all common pistol chamberings with interchangeable inserts.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 12, 2019, 06:27 PM   #6
RC20

I have a lot of tools (worked on fairly big equipment the last 30 years and a lot of it before that)

I never found most Snap On Tools any better (often worse - the combination wrench hurt my hands as they are thin ) than my JC Penny wrenches (got those with my first rig) - I have Sears wrenches for backups.

In a few cases, I found a tool that just felt good (or worked really well). I have a Snap on 3/8 Ratchet like that, a 10 inch Snap on Crescent wrench a fried gave me (well the 3/8 as well) and the Snap on Toque wrench in the dial type are to die for (they work so darned good)

The point is, just because it cost more does not make it better. I rate my RCBS and the one Forster die set as equal.

And expensive may indeed be better. Its really in the domain of the user. Is the function that much better, do they work that much better?

Some years back we bought a VW Passat (diesel). Mostly for the economy. My wife likes it because it drives and handles really nicely (not a hot rod sports car but solid). I have come to love that aspect as well (truck guy)

Forster has a much nicer and accurate dial on the seater than RCBS, but not so much a function as make the higher price offset for me but someone else may feel differently.
Old February 14, 2019, 12:12 PM   #7
pete2

I use Dillon dies for .45 and 38 Special, RCBS for 9 MM. My press is a 550B. If I did a do over I'd use RCBS in all 3. RCBS dies are easier to adjust and have set screws in the lock rings. The Dillons do have a larger radius in the sizing die but I haven't had any trouble with the RCBS. Redding would also be good. With the RCBS I had to add a taper crimp die and you have to get the Dillon expander die for the powder measure.
My 2 cents for what it's worth.
Old February 14, 2019, 12:52 PM   #8
Dufus

Quote:
I have a lot of tools (worked on fairly big equipment the last 30 years and a lot of it before that)

I never found most Snap On Tools any better (often worse - the combination wrench hurt my hands as they are thin ) than my JC Penny wrenches (got those with my first rig) - I have Sears wrenches for backups.

In a few cases, I found a tool that just felt good (or worked really well). I have a Snap on 3/8 Ratchet like that, a 10 inch Snap on Crescent wrench a fried gave me (well the 3/8 as well) and the Snap on Toque wrench in the dial type are to die for (they work so darned good)

The point is, just because it cost more does not make it better. I rate my RCBS and the one Forster die set as equal.

And expensive may indeed be better. Its really in the domain of the user. Is the function that much better, do they work that much better?

Some years back we bought a VW Passat (diesel). Mostly for the economy. My wife likes it because it drives and handles really nicely (not a hot rod sports car but solid). I have come to love that aspect as well (truck guy)

Forster has a much nicer and accurate dial on the seater than RCBS, but not so much a function as make the higher price offset for me but someone else may feel differently.
Good grief. He only wanted to know if they worked in a LNL press and if they were better in some way than Hornady dies. What are your experiences with Dillon dies?? That is what he wants to know.
Old February 14, 2019, 02:10 PM   #9
Stats Shooter

I don't have hornady dies so I cannot comment on them. I have several sets of dillon dies. I really like them for pistols due to the wide radius, and the ability to clean them without pulling them out of the toolhead. I also like that they are all carbide and come with a crimp die and NOT a flair die since you do not need a flair die in a progressive press (due to flairing during the powder drop).

On the other hand, adjusting seating depth is a bit of a pain so they are really for setting and doing big runs on your press, or not changing them once they are set (i.e. when I do 45 ACP or 9mm, 10mm etc on my XL650). But for rifles I like other dies as they are easier to adjust seating depth and have alignment sleeves i.e. the Forster BR/Ultimate Micrometer die and then the lee facotry crimp die.
Old February 14, 2019, 02:25 PM   #10
T. O'Heir

Dillon dies are 7/8-14 just like Hornady dies and every other currently made die. Difference is the warrantee. Dillon's is the same as RCBS'. Any issues, of any kind, they'll fix. Wouldn't part with the money they want for 'em though.