The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old December 27, 2016, 09:49 PM   #1
Highcap74

Steel challenge

Getting set up to start shooting steel challenge. Was wondering what would be a good time for shooting a stage as a beginner.
Old December 27, 2016, 11:13 PM   #2
rdtompki

This is the link to the Steel Challenge Classification System. The par time for a stage divided by 4 (Outer Limits is 3) is the par time on a string basis. If you divide this part time by the minimum percentage for a classification (e.g., "C" is 60%) that's the maximum time for that stage. Classification is computed based on the sum of all your best stage times.

Now, having said that: You've asked a question that can only be answered with "it depends" on what your're shooting, how good of a shot you are now, how much experience you have shooting at speed and, finally, which stage you're shooting. And, there is actually a strategy beyond see target, hit target: the quality of your shot out of the draw can affect where you start, make-up shots assuming you miss (and you will at speed), calling your shots, adjusting the quality of your sight picture at speed according to shot difficulty.

It's a great deal of fun and the timer never lies.
Old December 27, 2016, 11:45 PM   #3
g.willikers

On average, a decent time for someone new to the game is approximately one second for the draw, and one second per target with no misses and no safety errors.
The guys who score at the top of the heap will obliterate that time, but if you run the above times you will score mid field and have a lot of fun.
The best way to enjoy the game, at least at first, is with the rimfire division.
No need for a fast draw even.
They start from the low ready and your score times will be much faster.
Just a thought.
Old December 27, 2016, 11:49 PM   #4
shootniron

What he said ^^^^.

You are about to embark on something that you will have a blast shooting. It is a load of fun.
Old December 28, 2016, 07:22 AM   #5
Highcap74

What type ammo is normally use? Plated lead, FMJ or straight lead bullet? Also
Old December 28, 2016, 09:12 AM   #6
g.willikers

Since all the targets are non-reacting steel, lead is much preferred and sometimes required.
Lead bullets flatten out nicely, greatly reducing the danger of ricochets.
Old December 28, 2016, 11:06 AM   #7
AzShooter

Lead or coated bullets are best. I've been shooting SC since the beginning and have been shooting revolver until this year. I finally switched to rimfire and am using a Ruger Mark III. Rimfire is so much fun. No draw times just hit your targets as fast as you can.

It's the only competition I go to these days. I'm in a wheelchair and the stages are just perfect for me. According to the rules I don't have to move on Outer Limits, just shooting it from the center box.

Your times will improve as you shoot more and more matches. Have fun.
Old December 28, 2016, 12:26 PM   #8
g.willikers

Rimfire division, yes.
No need to chase brass, either.
Better for old body parts, from a wheel chair or not.
Old December 28, 2016, 10:16 PM   #9
baddarryl

If one were to shoot rimfire, how many 10 rd mags would you need? Same question for pistol I suppose too. Thanks.
Old December 28, 2016, 10:22 PM   #10
rdtompki

Five mags works just fine, six if you have a fussy mag. If you're short a few mags for your first club match I'm sure someone will reload for you. Folks shooting 7 round centerfire mags sometimes load +1, but very unusual for 8+ round mags.
Old December 28, 2016, 11:48 PM   #11
AzShooter

I carry 6 loaded mags on my belt and have a few in my shooting bag just in case. If anyone has a 22/45 I'll lend them to them so they can compete. Everyone I've met would do the same. It's a great bunch of shooters.

Bring your gun and 300 rounds of ammo and you will be o.k. Then you will have some if you miss.
Old December 29, 2016, 08:23 AM   #12
Don P

Quote:
Was wondering what would be a good time for shooting a stage as a beginner
You have 30 seconds per string to shoot 5 plates. Highest string gets tossed out, keeping the fastest 4 for score. Take your time get your hits. You cannot miss fast enough.

Quote:
If one were to shoot rimfire, how many 10 rd mags would you need? Same question for pistol I suppose too. Thanks
5 magazines changing magazines after every string so you always have at least 10 rounds per string available for make up shots if you should miss a plate.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old December 29, 2016, 11:10 PM   #13
Highcap74

So can you use 16 round magazine and only load 10 rounds? Is so I'll have to go buy (5) new mags.
Old December 29, 2016, 11:15 PM   #14
AzShooter

You can load to the capacity of your magazine. Have enough magazines loaded to be able to make your 25 hits. Always have more than 5 left in the gun. 8 extras are better because you will miss.
Old December 30, 2016, 07:11 AM   #15
Don P

Quote:
So can you use 16 round magazine and only load 10 rounds? Is so I'll have to go buy (5) new mags.
Yes you can use your 16 round magazines. No you do not need to buy 10 round magazines. The steel challenge has divisions( type of gun being used) and you load magazines according to division capacity.
here is the link to USPSA and Steel Challenge, https://www.uspsa.org All the rules are posted there for both disciplines.
Old December 30, 2016, 08:32 AM   #16
Highcap74

Thanks for the info Don P. I just received my black scorpion belt, (4) mag holders and Blackhawk CQC holster. Being a first time sc shooter, just wondering what the regular competitors will think about a new guy with that type gear?
Old December 30, 2016, 10:05 AM   #17
g.willikers

If you're concerned about looking like a wanna be, just drag your new gear around the parking lot until it looks experienced.
Old December 30, 2016, 04:09 PM   #18
Highcap74

It's not like that. Trying to make sure I have the right gear.
Old December 30, 2016, 04:34 PM   #19
Don P

Quote:
Being a first time sc shooter, just wondering what the regular competitors will think about a new guy with that type gear?
A jokester,
Quote:
If you're concerned about looking like a wanna be, just drag your new gear around the parking lot until it looks experienced

Quote:
It's not like that. Trying to make sure I have the right gear.
Don't worry about right/wrong gear. If it works for you its the right gear. Will the mag pouches hold the mags? Will the holster hold the gun safely and allow you to draw it safely? That's all that matters. As a new shooter they will want to help you get through the match safely and see to it that you have a good time, AND WANT TO COME BACK FOR MORE. At least that's the way we do things at our matches regardless of discipline.
Old December 31, 2016, 01:15 AM   #20
AzShooter

The right gear is what you have now. As time goes by you will change lots of things. Ask to borrow and shoot other people's guns. Ask questions. I'm sure in no time you will get and idea of what equipment you want.

I just recently switched to Rimfire Open. I'm still battling what gun I want to shoot but I have an older Ruger Mark III 22/45. It's a good start but I've already learned a lot of different things to do to the gun, what ammo to use for reliability and if I want to carry it in a bag or get another holster for it.

Steel Challenge is great because you get out of it what you put into it. Your times will improve and you can set your goals.

Biggest thing is to have fun at every match. Learn what you can and just talk to the people around you.

Good luck. Post your times for a while and let us see how you are doing.
Old December 31, 2016, 07:56 AM   #21
Highcap74

I ended up fabricating 5 target stands, 10",12" steel plates and setting up the Pendulum stage. 33.36 was best time with 5 string minutes worst time . I noticed my first shot time is getting better. First match will be in 2 weeks. What sage do you think is the toughest?
Old December 31, 2016, 09:39 AM   #22
Don P

Steel challenge is accuracy driven as well as the other disciplines. Maybe a touch more because its either a hit or miss. Pendulum is probably the toughest with the size of the inner plates. All the stages have their difficulty. Folks come up to the Smoke & Hope stage and think how could I possibly miss those 18X24 inch plates. You can miss, and folks do miss. Go out shoot the match and enjoy it. Worry about times and scores down the road. Just my opinion, if you start out worrying about time and score you are setting yourself up for disappointment and a feeling of failure if you do measure up to what you thing you should be shooting at. Let the speed and fast times come as it will.
There are pro shooters who will post times on smoke & hope in just under 8 seconds total, 4 strings, worst tossed out

Last edited by Don P; December 31, 2016 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Added thought
Old December 31, 2016, 10:02 AM   #23
g.willikers

Yeah, I've seen folks wonder how they could miss those large close targets.
They were shooting dirt, not only the stuff behind and beside the targets, but the dirt in front of them, too.
They were going too fast for their skills.
If you're worried about what others think, you should be less concerned about what the other competitors think about your equipment and more what they think about you.
It's absolutely guaranteed they will think more good things of you if you slowly hit every target first time, than if you spray lead all over the range trying to beat the clock.
End of unsolicited advice.

Last edited by g.willikers; December 31, 2016 at 10:08 AM.
Old December 31, 2016, 01:16 PM   #24
egd

No one gives a tinkers dam about gear UNLESS you are a top shooter. Then they think "if only I had that gear...." LOL
Old December 31, 2016, 10:16 PM   #25
Purple Bikerr

My first match I told myself, "Get your hits, just get your hits. Speed does not matter. Just get your hits."

I was shooting a 1911 in .45. and I was scared as all get out.

I got the first 18 in a row. Hit rate was 75-80% for the match.

Ended near the top (did not win) of my division.

Do not worry about the time. Just get your hits!!!!

Your gonna get addicted.