The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 29, 2019, 06:28 AM   #1
OhioGuy

Looking at two PCC options

I'd like to get a PCC 9mm for fun and competition. I've rented and tried the Beretta CX4 and the Ruger PC Carbine. They both seemed like pretty solid guns. What I liked:

Beretta -
- smaller overall size and weight
- overall feel, seemed to fit me better somehow

Ruger -
- felt like it recoiled just a bit less, maybe because of a little more heft
- breaks down into two parts for easy storage and carrying in a pack that doesn't scream "rifle"
- can take the extended Glock mags
- more readily available and looks to be around $500, vs. $700 for Beretta

Anyone have any experience with one over the other? Or know of specific reliability issues or other deal breakers?

Is the CX4 still in current production? Seems harder to come by.
Old January 29, 2019, 08:51 AM   #2
TBM900

The CX4 beats the Ruger all the way around, engineering, quality, function, reliability, etc. From day one the CX4 was designed as a military sub-machine gun, the MX4, which is used around the world. The Ruger was designed as a civilian plinker from day one, that's not a knock, just reality.

The CX4's design also makes it more natural in terms of similarity to a pistol, and has the added benefit of bringing the CG back making it faster.

There are something like 7 different magazine adapters available from Beretta for various pistols, and they recently farmed out other adapters for Glocks and such to third party manufacturers. But me personally I would NOT make mag type the deciding factor, especially since 92 mags are stupid cheap and widely available (and getting more so).

Ive also turned on a number of folks to the CX4 that were big fans of pistols like Glocks, Rugers, Etc, who ended up switching to the PX4 after running their CX for a while. They were drawn in by the reliability and function of the CX, tried the PX and were hooked, they make a great combo.

The CX4 is not my favorite PCC but it's a very close number 2 due to its cost (GHM9 is my #1 but 2x the price), and the one I recommend the most. Outstanding weapon!

CX4's do come in batches, there will be a period of glut where they are everywhere, and then they will start to dry up for a couple months until the next batch hits the streets.
Old January 29, 2019, 12:24 PM   #3
OhioGuy

Awesome, thanks! I do like the PX4 pistols. I looked up 92 mags online and yeah, wow, they're everywhere -- and I can get 30 round versions for like $25.
Old January 31, 2019, 01:57 AM   #4
chris in va

I've had a CX4 using 92 mags for a few years.

Aside from an early hiccup, it's been stupid fun and everyone wants to try it. It begs for a decent red dot so keep that in mind. Full disassembly takes all of a couple minutes, and it's completely ambidexterous.

The bolt is quite large with a ton of mass, so it has more recoil than one would expect...but not bad. I don't think I'd want one in 40. 45 is REALLY tempting though.

Note that just about everything in the fire control group is plastic. It works, but one cage piece cracked and I had to send it in for repair. Beretta fixed it quickly and no problems since.
Old January 31, 2019, 06:50 AM   #5
OhioGuy

Does anyone have a Ruger PCC? Any favorable or unfavorable experiences? I can find one of those for under $500.
Old January 31, 2019, 11:08 AM   #6
Eazyeach

No experience with either for me. I want to like one of them especially the Beretta but I just can’t fall in love with either. If you are interested in buying used ,someone in the Cincy area has a CX4 for sale on Armslist. $550 I think. I called about it last week but he said it takes px mags. Deal-breaker for me. I have a crap ton of 92 mags.
Old January 31, 2019, 12:02 PM   #7
pblanc

I have a Ruger PCC purchased from KY Gun Co for just under $440 on sale. It is a very nice carbine. I can't compare it to a Beretta CX4 as I have never shot the latter.

The Ruger PCC works well with Glock magazines and double stack 9mm magazines for Glocks can be found in a wide variety of capacities and are fairly inexpensive. I have used both Glock factory magazines and Magpul magazines in mine and both have worked well. The stock iron sights are usable but my eyesight is such that I now do much better with an optic of some sort. The Picatinny rail that is milled into the top of the PCC receiver makes mounting an optic very easy. The Ruger PCC works very well with a micro-sized red dot sight. The stock front and rear sights attach with small machine screws and can be easily removed if desired.

The take-down feature is convenient for storage and transport and makes cleaning the barrel and chamber a snap. The controls are pretty well laid-out for the most part. The cross-trigger push button safety is the same as is used on the Ruger 10/22 and works very well for me. The charging handle can easily be swapped from one side to the other. The stock trigger is not too bad, and aftermarket trigger options are starting to appear. I was told by Brimstone Gunsmithing who does trigger work for Ruger 10/22 trigger groups that they will soon offer services for the Ruger PCC.

One thing that might be a limitation for those who shoot a pistol caliber carbine in steel challenge or some other competition in which rapid magazine changes are required is the location of the magazine release button in front of the magazine well on the left side. The button can be switched to the right side, but would still be too far forward to operate with the shooting hand without releasing one's grip on the stock. Releasing the magazine with the support hand means that it is not possible to drop a magazine while simultaneously reaching for another magazine with that hand.

I have had zero reliability issues thus far.
Old January 31, 2019, 07:03 PM   #8
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazyeach View Post
No experience with either for me. I want to like one of them especially the Beretta but I just can’t fall in love with either. If you are interested in buying used ,someone in the Cincy area has a CX4 for sale on Armslist. $550 I think. I called about it last week but he said it takes px mags. Deal-breaker for me. I have a crap ton of 92 mags.
It's just an adapter swap, cost me under $20 bucks last time I had one shipped.
You could sell the mags and adapter and cover the cost of the new adapter.

Depending on condition $500 would be a decent price.
If you go for it make sure you break it down and check everything over inside really well.

Which reminds me.....
Some mentioned liking the take-down aspect of the Ruger.....
The CX4 breaks down as well, slide the 'pin' out and it separates into two halves.
Never measured but doing so reduces its OAL by I'm guessing 40%
Old January 31, 2019, 08:21 PM   #9
zincwarrior

I have SO'd several squads where shooters we're running rugers. The consensus was that if you liked the Ruger 10/22 you would like it.
Old February 1, 2019, 11:08 AM   #10
Glenn E. Meyer

In the matches that alternate with Zinc's, the Rugers are showing up and run well. I bought one and three of my friends have. I really like it.
Old February 1, 2019, 06:36 PM   #11
Bamashooter

I paid $449.99+tax for my Ruger PC Carbine right before Christmas. Swapped the charging handle to the left side, added a Sig Sauer Romeo5 red dot sight and bought several 17rd glock and a couple 21rd magpul mags. Extremely accurate and 100% reliable with all mags. Very cool little carbine for sure.
Old February 1, 2019, 09:10 PM   #12
TruthTellers

I think the Beretta is better made than the Ruger, but they're both fine PCC's. Ruger gives you the option of using Glock mags, takedown barrel... it's really built to be an apocalypse gun.

The CX is built for urban combat. Mag in the grip means shorter OAL and more compact, good for indoor use. If you have the mags that it uses, go for the Beretta.

If you want the best PCC for competition use, I've just decided to point people to a 9mm AR. Can get it with a pistol and brace for very short OAL if you're in a competition that requires you going through or around obstacles or you can go 16 inch rifle and have a variety of buttstocks to suit your needs and comfort. Triggers, grips... lots of options there for the AR.

I don't hate any of these PCC's, I think they're all good, they all have their pros/cons, I just feel the AR is the best value.
Old February 3, 2019, 03:53 PM   #13
M88

The biggest draw for me when I picked up my Ruger PCC for $500 was that it took my Glock 17 mags, of which I had many. The fact that it easily quickly breaks apart to fit into a backpack was icing on the cake. Still was a bit skeptical since it wasn't a proven well worn design yet. However, took a chance and have shot hundreds of rounds through it with zero problems so far. Quality of the rifle vs the Berreta? Since I've never even held a Berretta carbine to compare, can't answer. What I CAN say is I love my PCC and it has turned out to be one my go-to FUN rifles for plinking, target shooting. Of course an added bonus is that 9mm ammo is so cheap (at least for now).
Old February 5, 2019, 06:49 AM   #14
OhioGuy

I finally got to shoot both back to back and can say I liked the Beretta better, although the trigger is quite heavy vs. Ruger's. The Beretta felt more solidly built and yes mag changes were easier with it than with the PCC. I did like the light weight of the Beretta also.

I got to shoot a Just Right Carbine AR style 9mm that day -- liked it, but I'm familiar with AR and the Beretta is just kinda funky in a different way

I think I'll eventually get a CX4. It's different and a lot of fun.
Old February 5, 2019, 09:13 AM   #15
MarkCO

I'd choose the Ruger over the Beretta.

It is going to be significantly more popular, more aftermarket parts and options already and it just came out.
Old February 5, 2019, 01:25 PM   #16
9x19

Marlin Camp 9 (and 45)
Ruger PC 9 (and 40)
KelTec Sub 2000
Beretta CX4
Just Right Carbine

I've owned them all and I left them all behind in favor of the AR pattern guns. All three of mine take Glock magazines, (I did briefly own one which took Colt magazines).

I find the AR more versatile, easier to setup exactly how you like, yet just as accurate, and reliable as any of the others I've owned.

If I were starting right now, I'd probably get a lower from FM Products and likely even one of their side-charging uppers (available in both pistol and carbine versions).

But...... between the two you've listed, I would go with the Ruger, much better factory and after-market support, IMO (plus it has a threaded barrel for my silencer).

Good luck.