The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 31, 2019, 10:03 AM   #1
gbclarkson

How do I sell?

Sadly, an impending divorce is forcing me to sell my firearms, accessories and unopened boxes of ammo. I will need to whittle my accumulation down to a single multi-purpose pistol, my son's .22s, and what has been gifted to me. Any suggestions? Local pawns shop will likely not pay as much as I could get from other avenues of sale. I have never sold a firearm to anyone other than a cash transaction with a buddy and the last was years ago. I have never purchased or sold through an online service. I am not desperate... yet. Any suggestions?
Old January 31, 2019, 10:09 AM   #2
Doyle

Sadly, it all depends on WHERE you are. Please post your location and this forum will help. Local and state firearms transfer laws vary greatly from one place to another.
Old January 31, 2019, 11:30 AM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Do you have a local FFL who will work with you on shipping and transfers? If so, you can set up an account on Gunbroker or Auction Arms, sell (or not) to the highest bidder, and let the FFL handle the shipping. FFLs can ship handguns through the U.S. Mail, which is far cheaper than shipping by UPS or FedEx. Technically, we ordinary mortals can mail long guns, but I'd rather let an FFL handle all that for all firearms, to save me from having to argue with a postal counter clerk.
Old January 31, 2019, 11:36 AM   #4
Sharkbite

You should speak to your lawyer about selling ANYTHING wth the divorce pending. Most States dont allow “Marital assets”to be sold or hidden.

Be careful here
Old January 31, 2019, 12:27 PM   #5
mcb66

Find a local auction house who lists on Proxibid. Negotiate to somewhere around a 10% commission. They handle everything and you get a check.
Old January 31, 2019, 12:32 PM   #6
Onward Allusion

Damn, I feel for ya. I went thru the same crap 20-something years ago.

To get top dollar, Gunbroker is your best shot. Otherwise, Face-to-Face transactions also get top dollar, depending on your location. Also, look into consignment. Smaller shops are usually happy to show your stuff in their display cases. Whatever you do, don't sell directly to a gun shop or pawn shop.
Old January 31, 2019, 01:13 PM   #7
FITASC

Gunbroker collects a fee; face to face (if legal where you live), will net the most proceeds. Local ads in papers or local web sale sites will gain good exposure as will placing ads at local gun clubs.
As mentioned, check with your lawyer first.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 31, 2019, 08:21 PM   #8
tlm225

Like it was posted above, knowing your location (State) would help with advice but:

I've bought and sold through Armslist. You'll have to be prepared to deal with tire kickers and lowballers and have a safe location to do face to face sales (if legal in your state). Your state may require all private sales go through an FFL.

Gunbroker is another option but will add the pain of shipping. In my case the nearest UPS/FEDEX hub is 40 miles away and expensive. In addition the receiving FFL may not accept from a private person (it's not illegal but some will not). An accommodating FFL will probably charge $25.00-$50.00 to ship for you.

Another option is a consignment sale through a local FFL.
Old January 31, 2019, 09:08 PM   #9
2ndsojourn

How about renting a table at a gun show?
Old January 31, 2019, 09:16 PM   #10
Number10GI

Check with local gun shops, some will do consignment sales.
Old February 1, 2019, 01:43 PM   #11
peterg7

Last handgun I sold was on gunrunner, no fuss no muss just dropped the gun off and did a bit of paperwork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 2, 2019, 08:58 AM   #12
gbclarkson

Quote:
Sadly, it all depends on WHERE you are. Please post your location and this forum will help.
Thanks for the help, everyone.

I live in Mattoon, IL.
Old February 2, 2019, 11:13 AM   #13
Doyle

Illinois is stricter than most states (although not as bad as some others). This might help:
https://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/firearms052104.pdf
Old February 2, 2019, 12:38 PM   #14
Soclosenotnear

I've managed a pawn shop for the last ten+ years. Today is actually my last day here, ironically, but we are happy if we recover a 25% margin on used guns. I know that's not great when you're trying to catch every penny, but not nearly as bad as many people think. It's a point of reference for you, if nothing else.