The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 23, 2001, 07:09 PM   #1
AUTiger73

Just got my May issue of the Self Reliance Journal (aka Survival Guide) and found article on CZ527 bolt action in 7.62 X 39. Online search turned up the following site:
http://www.czub.cz/obsah/CZ527A.htm

As the owner of a SLR95 Burgarian AK variant in 7.62 X 39, I've been looking for another rifle in this caliber that would be capable of developing the full accuracy potential of this cartridge. I have a bucket full of slightly dented Winchester brass to start my load developments for this caliber.

Questions:

Does anybody have any experience with the CZ527 bolt action rifle in any caliber? or any other similar CZ rifle?

Is the CZ527 a high quality rifle, capable of delivering 1 MOA groups?

I've always believed the 7.62 X 39 had a lot more accuracy potential than my SLR95 AK could deliver. The SLR95's best group with open sights has been slightly over 3" at 100 yards. The CZ527 should do a lot better than that. Am I wrong about this caliber?
What do you think?

Old March 23, 2001, 09:13 PM   #2
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello AUTiger73. I have a CZ527 in .223 Remington. Even with its light sporter bbl, I've never had any problem getting the gun to "shoot." With favored handloaded, I can get 3 shots into about .6" @ 100 yards on a still day and with Federal 55 gr BallisticTips, about .75". The best load I've found for it is a factory load: Winchester (Combined Technology) 50 gr BallisticSilvertip. It regularly drops these into about 3/8" @ 100 yards.

I have no idea how the 527 will do with regard to the 7.62X39mm. I suspect it'll do OK, but I'd go with factory commercial ammo as I suspect it'll be a bit more uniform than some (most?) of the surplus stuff. Also, my 527 occassionally fails to pop the harder military primers, but never fails on any other be it factory or reload from Winchester, Federal, or Remington or Hornady.

These are quality little guns in my experience. I own two other CZ/BRNO rifles. One's in .30-06 and the other in .375 H&H. They, like the 527, are reliable and accurate.

Best.

Old March 23, 2001, 10:07 PM   #3
PJR

I owned a 527 in .223 during my rifle buying, selling and trading phase. It was a fine piece that shot MOA with most factory. With good handloads it would put them into 3/4's of an inch on a regular basis. I traded it when something else caught my fancy.

I noted two concerns. First the magazine lips were very hard on the brass and needed some smoothing. Secondly, the single-set trigger wasn't to my liking. I never did get it adjusted to a satisfactory let-off. YMMV.
Old March 23, 2001, 11:26 PM   #4
AUTiger73

Stephen & PJR: Thanks for the input. I have no reloading experience with the 7.62 X 39 but believe it has potential for sub MOA groups. Hate to see all that commercial brass go to waste. Maybe I just need a new challenge.

Quality rifle: Looks like I'll have to order a CZ rifle.