The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 17, 2017, 12:17 PM   #1
robhic

Coated Bullets Seating Question

I just bought some coated bullets from Bayou Bulletshttp://www.bayoubullets.net/ and the question is that there are 2 lube grooves but the bullet is 9mm so doesn't require roll-crimping. I'm guessing the casing should go to the top of the first groove to cover them with the taper crimp?

Same with some .45acp bullets. I shot some I made up and they were fine, except the 9mm jammed a couple of times (I think I need to lengthen the OAL a tiny bit to remedy this) but other than the jams and the smell of burning plastic after firing, I like these coated bullets. Just a little curious about using a taper-crimp on bullets with grooves. Thanks!
Old February 17, 2017, 02:21 PM   #2
muncie21

I shoot both Bayou and BBI coated bullets in 9mm. Only need to remove the bell.

I have loaded both 135RN (OAL 1.10) and 147FP (OAL 1.07) bullets from Bayou that have the lube groove. These get seated deep enough in my CZ that you can't see the groove once they are loaded.

Last edited by muncie21; February 18, 2017 at 09:11 AM.
Old February 17, 2017, 06:18 PM   #3
robhic

That's kinda what I figured. ↑ I want to try and increase OAL a tiny bit due to jam (feed ramp, I think...) problem. Thanks.
Old February 18, 2017, 01:08 PM   #4
mikld

Use the OAL listed in your reloading manual for a similar shaped/weight bullet. Lightly taper crimp, just enough to remove the flare. For coated and plated bullets without definite crimp grooves/canalures, find a similar shaped and weight bullet in your manual(s) and use the OAL listed as a starting point and disregard lube grooves. If there are feeding problems you can adjust seating depth, but you'll have a good place to start...
Old February 18, 2017, 04:17 PM   #5
robhic

Quote:
use the OAL listed as a starting point and disregard lube grooves. If there are feeding problems you can adjust seating depth, but you'll have a good place to start...
Is leaving lube groove or grooves exposed all right? I thought it was a good idea to have them inside the case? I was using the OAL from the Lyman manual and the groove (top) was right at the case mouth. It's just a 115gr coated RN bullet. But thanks for the idea. I'll see what happens.
Old February 18, 2017, 08:45 PM   #6
Tom-R2

All of my nines smoothly feed the Bayou 135 RN at 1.120". With the 45, my Ruger SR1911 seems to like the 200 RNFP at 1.215 t0 1.220. I'm still tinkering with the OAL for the Bayou 225 gr FP 45.
Old February 19, 2017, 11:31 AM   #7
mikld

The bullets are coated (PCed?) so there is no lube in the grooves. If part of a lube groove is exposed, what will happen? Nuttin'...
Old February 19, 2017, 09:55 PM   #8
jaysouth

If you carry the in your pocket, they might get lint in the grooves............

nuttin otherwise.
Old February 20, 2017, 10:51 AM   #9
robhic

Quote:
If you carry the in your pocket, they might get lint in the grooves............nuttin otherwise.
Well then I'm safe. I don't carry bullets in my pockets. I sometimes carry them in my mouth for convenience.....