The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 8, 2014, 10:50 PM   #1
H20FOWL

380 100 Gn Berry's bullet

Im reloading the Berry's 100 Gn FBRN for target practice and want to get as close to the ammo i shoot for self defense. I worked up a load of 4.0 grains of Unique powder with a COAL of .980. I shoot a Taurus 380 and it KICKS LIKE A MULE with this load. Am I loading the rounds to hot. I don't see any signs of pressure. some of the primers looked like they flattened but i loaded a load that would not cycle the chamber and has the same looking flat primer. Some primers look flat and some don't. There shooting at 975 FPS when i chronograph them. Any suggestions would be great if it is to hot of a load or that is normal for the kick at that FPS. Some of the self defense ammo states it needs to have a muzzle velocity of 1000 FPS to expand and no less then 750 on impact. The Unique is the only load i could get to go above 900 FPS. Iv tried IMR PB, IMR SR7625 as well with no results over 750 FPS. I loaded all from starting to max grains.

It you have any other load data that would help that would be great. I have not found much for the 100 Grains Berry's Bullets out there. So i have been using the load data for 100 Gn FMJ bullets and they say up to 4.6 is the max but i have read that 3.7 is the max. Any help would be great thanks.

I have added some pictures below

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 2.JPG (107.6 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3.JPG (185.5 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg photo 4.JPG (128.5 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by H20FOWL; May 8, 2014 at 11:11 PM.
Old May 9, 2014, 01:59 AM   #2
1stmar

975 seems a bit high for 100gr. Not sure where you are reading 1000fps but most defense ammo I've seen is 85-90gr. I'd try a different powder or lower the charge. Probably should be closer to 900fps. I've had good luck with 231. Accurate w reasonable recoil. Steady diet at 975 might be rough on that gun.
Old May 9, 2014, 01:02 PM   #3
H20FOWL

So its not a good idea to push the 100 Grain bullet that fast but it it was 80 or 90 grain should be alright. The pressure maybe building up in the bullet and that is why it kicks so hard. If i was pushing a smaller grain bullet then it would not kick so hard with the same amour of powder.
Old May 9, 2014, 01:21 PM   #4
Clark

AUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond or not covered by currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.
I started over loading guns to see what would happen when I started handloading 15 years ago.
I have done over load work ups in 18 handgun cartridges and 20 long gun cartridges.

IMHO the limits to semi auto handgun work ups are:
1) guppie belly case bulge over the feed ramp
2) guppie belly case bulge blow out over the feed ramp
3) guppie belly case bulge blows the head off the case
4) primer piercing
5) extractor cannot extract case when it grips the chamber
6) no more powder will fit
7) bullet gets fat from compressing powder
8) someone is worried that pressures exceed SAAMI registered max average or published loads, or just plain worries
9) the chamber expands to a new shape
10) the chamber splits
11) too much recoil for the slide mass * recoil spring force product

Experimenting with 6 different 380 pistols with very different case support, chamber wall thickness, slide mass, recoil spring force, and extractor capability, I have encountered limits; 1), 5), 6), 9), and 11).

In October I took the 10 ounce Kel-Tec 380 out of my pocket and handed to a 6'2" 270 pound former athlete to finish off his antelope buck. The 90 gr Gold Dot bullet at 1100 fps made him yell about the recoil pain.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old May 10, 2014, 01:49 PM   #5
ede2301

Alliant Powder 2004

In Alliant Powders' 2004 Reloaders Guide there are several recipes for 100gr FMJ-RN bullets that are all over 950 FPS with two over 1000 FPS. They have loads listed using Bullseye, Green Dot, Unique, and Power Pistol. I have tried 4.4 grns of Power Pistol behind a 95gr bullet and have had success with that cycling a Glock 42. I also tried TiteGroup but I could not get that to cycle a Glock (I think the Gen 4 Recoil system is a little more robust) however 3.0grns of TiteGroup worked fine in a Bersa Thunder and LCP as a plinking load. Hodgdon has some loads listed for a 100gr bullet but they are not over 1000FPS. Interestingly enough Alliant's newer guides list nothing but 90gr bullets. So judge for yourself if you want to use older load data but I have not noted any issues so far. Keep in mind that I have not chronographed these loads just going off the load data in the 2004 manual.

Link to 2004 Reloaders Guide:
http://krets.jagareforbundet.se/hylt...ntPowderSM.pdf