The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 30, 2011, 03:16 PM   #1
funman

Redding neck die

I cannot figure this out, any info would be great. I have a 308 redding neck die (not the one with bushings or what ever) After i run the cases through the die i can manually put a bullet in with my hands. Some of them i cannot. I do not understand why it will not size correctly. I have moved it up /down, cleaned it. What else can i do? It does this on once fired brass and older brass as well. Like i said some of the cases will size , where i cannot manually stick a bullet in with my fingers. thanks
Old October 30, 2011, 04:13 PM   #2
jepp2

As you move the die up and down, you should be able to see on the neck of the cases how far they have entered the die. Can you see this?

Have you checked to make sure you have the correct expander on the decapping rod? Use your calipers to confirm it is correct.

Check the OD of the neck of some loaded ammo. The neck sized brass should have an OD around 0.003" less.
Old October 30, 2011, 09:18 PM   #3
mrawesome22

Federal brass?
Old October 30, 2011, 10:07 PM   #4
jdillon

You may want to check the neck thickness of the brass in addition to the expander. I run Redding dies almost exclusively in my single stage press both competition and Type S. I have replaced all the supplied expander plugs with the carbide balls that float since they generally produce more concentric necks.
Old October 31, 2011, 08:27 AM   #5
funman

Thanks ill check all that. No its not federal brass, its mostly winchester
Old October 31, 2011, 08:59 AM   #6
dahermit

Quote:
...its mostly winchester ...
This statement suggests that all the cases may not have been fired the same number of times. If so, some may be work-hardened and are springing back after sizing. When loading precision ammunition, all cases should be come from the same lot, fired the same number of times, etc. In short, all the cases should be as close to identical as humanly possible...and the certainly precludes using cases of different head-stamps.
Old October 31, 2011, 09:06 AM   #7
F. Guffey

“After i run the cases through the die i can manually put a bullet in with my hands” Dies come in as many options as coffee, caf, de-caff, half caff mocha, light, dark etc.., etc.

My sizer dies size the neck down when the ram is raised, when the neck is sized down the neck gets longer, when the ram is lowered the sizer ball expands the neck, when the neck is expanded the neck shortens, there is no chance I would be able to seat a bullet by simply pushing in a case that has been sized, full length or neck sized because I do not trim necks on the inside or outside unless I formed the cases from too long to short.

I have heard of jump back, recovery, memory or spring back, if the cases are springing back that much there should be a sound created when the expander ball is pulled through.

The cases that will not allow for hand seating are the keepers, the cases with the loose necks have a problem.

Spring back is something I am accused of forgetting, me? I am surprised some reloaders can get anything done because they are obsessed with the thought.

F. Guffey
Old October 31, 2011, 01:19 PM   #8
dahermit

Quote:
I have heard of jump back, recovery, memory or spring back, if the cases are springing back that much there should be a sound created when the expander ball is pulled through.
Just the opposite. If after sizing, the case neck springs back, the expander ball will not make a sound because there will be little/no contact with it as the case is withdrawn from the die.
Old October 31, 2011, 01:23 PM   #9
dahermit

Quote:
After i run the cases through the die i can manually put a bullet in with my hands” Dies come in as many options as coffee, caf, de-caff, half caff mocha, light, dark etc.., etc.
All dies, regardless of the brand, are intended on reducing the neck of a fired casing back to SAMMI specifications. If the cases are not being sized down enough to prohibit seating a bullet with finger pressure, something is not correct...either the brass, or the dies. It is most likely the brass, but could be the die.
Old November 2, 2011, 09:33 AM   #10
funman

Yes all cases have not been fired the same amount of times, but very close. This has happened on my last batch of once fired winchester brass. Some of them sized (neck only) and some of them did not. I am leaning toward it being the die but i just dont see how it would do some and not the others. Spring back, yeah i get that, but this is happening on once fired ammo. Im going to contact redding and see what they say. Just thought i would ask the experts first. thanks
Old November 3, 2011, 05:58 AM   #11
micksis86

I'd say either the die isn't screwed in far enough or the expander is too high that it's not doing it's job. You'd know if the expander is going into the case mouth and coming out just by feel.
Old November 5, 2011, 12:37 PM   #12
B78-22250

neck sizing

Could it be possible you have a bump die instead of a neck die?
Old November 6, 2011, 08:02 AM   #13
zeke

There is a considerable difference in 308 brass thickness at the necks, and Win is the thinnest.