The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 10, 2009, 10:14 PM   #1
chris in va

9mm and 45...worth reloading?

I don't shoot all that much, but I think it would be fun and interesting to start reloading with a basic setup to see if I like the hobby. Thing is, I only have 9mm and 45 to reload, maybe x39 if I can find brass and bullets cheaper than Wolf.

What say you? Would I even save any money after the basic reloading setup is paid for?
Old April 10, 2009, 10:22 PM   #2
D. Manley

Yes and no. Yes you will save a good deal of money on the ammunition you create compared to purchasing factory loads but overall, probably no...you'll just shoot a lot more.
Old April 10, 2009, 10:55 PM   #3
rjrivero

It'll save you money. It's also kinda fun in it's own right.
Old April 10, 2009, 11:46 PM   #4
Teuthis

Handloading can be an immensely fulfilling hobby. Over time you can save money, but it costs some to get set up. I would say, get into it for the pleasure, and if you truly want to shoot more with your firearms. I have loaded for those two calibers for many years, and shot a lot of ammo. They are certainly worth loading for. You can get lead bullets by the 500 box and shoot a great deal more bullets over time than purchasing factory, jacketed rounds.
Old April 11, 2009, 07:28 AM   #5
ems-1

Yes. you would save money but, more important, the fun and enjoyment of reloading. I find it very relaxing and fulfilling. You will probably find yourself shooting more but that's also part of the fun. If you buy in bulk you will save even more. Plus, once you work up some loads and combinations that work best in your firearms, your reloaded ammo will be more accurate then factory ammo.
Old April 11, 2009, 07:55 AM   #6
Cajun

Reloading Worth It?

A Lyman reloading kit with a good press will cost about $350.

9MM can be reloaded for about $6.50 a box. You can buy (sometimes) 9MM for about $14 per box. This is a saving of $7.50/box.

You would need to reload 47 boxes to break even. After that you would be saving money.

I have reloaded for a long time and like to do it. If I did not shoot a lot, I would stick with factory ammo.

The costs I mention above do not include inventory of bullets, powder and primers (when you can find them).
Old April 11, 2009, 09:11 AM   #7
Ozzieman

There is a lot of good help here but I would like to add one thing.
If you have no knowledge of reloading get a good reloading manual first and read it.
Then try to find some one where you shoot that reloads to show you the ropes first. It will keep you from making a lot of mistakes, not just in reloading, but the better equipment you can buy that will over time save you time and money in your reloading.
There are a lot of reloading kits out there that can get you started but once you do,,, you will want to replace much of it with better quality equipment.
You first need to see what is needed for reloading, and another reloader can help.
Get one of the Speer reloading manuals and read.
Old April 11, 2009, 09:32 AM   #8
webby4x4

Quote:
If you have no knowledge of reloading get a good reloading manual first and read it.
Then try to find some one where you shoot that reloads to show you the ropes first. It will keep you from making a lot of mistakes, not just in reloading, but the better equipment you can buy that will over time save you time and money in your reloading.
Amen! I'm brand new to reloading and here's my story...
My father committed to bringing me all of his reloading equipment (nearly 50 years worth of his stuff, and it filled his entire car (all equipment probably weighed in at ~400 pounds)). But, before he brought it to me, he sent me 2 books - one on bullet casting and one on reloading and told me to read them first. I did just that, and even took lots of notes, as well as writing down all of the steps to actually cast and reload bullets. I went as far as drawing pictures of the tools I would use in each step (e.g. pocket reamers, dies, etc.).

I found that this did three things for me:
1) It piqued my interest in a huge way. At nearly 40 years old, I was getting so excited about starting to reload, I felt like a 10 year old kid on Christmas morning.
2) It tought me some of the basics of reloading in a step-by-step format and got me prepared for doing this. I kind of visualized what I needed to do in a step-by-step fashion in my mind's eye.
3) It forced me to write down lots of questions about those things I didn't understand and they ranged from "ogive" to "cannelure" and so on.

When my father did end up bringing all of his stuff, I found that I was far better prepared by reading through these manuals and our "training" sessions were MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more productive.

To Ozzieman's point, having an "expert" available is priceless. Not only was I able to learn some "old timer" tricks but more importantly, because I learned a lot of the safety items, I was able to enjoy this much more, because I wasn't worried about blowing off my hand (double charges) or ending up with a bullet stuck in my barrel (missing charge) by making a stupid mistake.

Even after ~3 months of reloading, I still call or email my father with questions and its really helpful.

As far as books go; I'd recommend the Lyman bullet casting and Lyman reloading manuals. They are well written, cover just about everything you need to know, and are written in such a way that it "tells a story" (unlike a manual that is dry and boring). At least that is this noob's opinion.

Rick
Old April 11, 2009, 09:37 AM   #9
Dragon55

Accuracy....

If accuracy at 25yds is a desire then you will like to reload. You will be able to develop a particular load for your specific gun that is THE most accurate.
Old April 11, 2009, 10:49 AM   #10
Edward429451

If you want to start casting boolits you can chop the cost wayyy down. I load 45's for ~1.75 per box of 50
Old April 11, 2009, 11:01 AM   #11
hihosilver

45's would have to be worth it if you shoot alot.
Old April 11, 2009, 12:24 PM   #12
lachanceent

The Lyman reloading kit mentioned above is a very good kit. But if you didnt want to spend that much on initial start up Lee makes a good beginner kit that costs around 95$. That and a set of die's and you should be ready to go. The thing with the Lee kit is if you want to upgrade down the road you can but if you lose interest latter on you wont be out as much $$ as you would the Lyman. Also RCBS makes a reloading kit also that is very good, but its priced just under what the Lyman's go for.

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0003080216577a.shtml
Old April 11, 2009, 12:37 PM   #13
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

I reload for both 9 and 45. 45s are about $2/50 and 9mm runs about $1.75/50.......Free range brass and I cast my own bullets from free WWs!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old April 11, 2009, 12:51 PM   #14
Sevens

Quote:
I don't shoot all that much, but I think it would be fun and interesting to start reloading with a basic setup to see if I like the hobby.
There's really two different groups of reloaders... the folks who simply need the ammo and lots of it and know that it makes fiscal sense, and the other guys who really enjoy the entire process. (sure, there are folks in the middle, but those two groups are at each end.)

Given what you said and I quoted, I'd say there's a very good chance that you fit in to the group of folks who really enjoy the process. At least, you might!

Because of that, I would say it makes a whole lot of sense to reload those two calibers, no matter the volume of shooting you do.

I would not include 7.62x39 as a caliber that is "worth" reloading. And I only say this because most of the rifles that use it are commie block noise makers that wouldn't benefit from decent ammo and piles of iron curtain milsurp is nearly impossible to beat in price.

Outside of milsurp rifles where reloadable brass is hard to find (example: Mosin ammo, 7.62x54R), 9mm is the cheapest center fire ammo in the world, so it's the "least" amount of "savings" you can get from reloading. Wal-Mart is still selling this stuff at $8.97 a box.

But learning to reload and seeing if you'd enjoy the hobby? I completely get that, and 9 and .45 are terrific places to start. .38 Special is, IMO, the BEST place to start, and .40 S&W or the FN-5.45 would be the worst places to start.

You would be saving money per loaded round, but your actual out of pocket expenditure will definitely increase. You have to buy the tools... and then you have to buy the components. That stuff adds up.

There's a lot of people who think that they can save money by reloading. The truth is that the money you spend will be just the same or more for the first year. You can save the most by purchasing components in bulk... which obviously takes more cash in large lumps.
Old April 11, 2009, 01:24 PM   #15
Cajun

Reloading Cost?

IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Can you give some details as to how you can reload so cheaply?

In my case, the best price I see on primers delivered today is $30/1000. That would be $1.50/box. Most powders are in the range of $17/pound delivered. With a 6 g charge, that would be $.85/box. Bullets are in the $.07 each range. This would be $3.50/box of 50. Total would be $5.85 minimum with free brass.
Old April 11, 2009, 01:44 PM   #16
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

For primers...most I pay is $30 for 1000...so .03/round
For powder, I use titegroup for all my pistol loads at about .01/round
Brass is free from a buddy that works at a range.
Boolits (not bullets) are free because I cast my own from free lead salvaged from a tire shop over in St. Louis...I have low friends in high places!

So, .04 per round works to be about $2 for 50 rounds...9mm uses under a penny in powder, BTW.

That's it! Any more questions?

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old April 11, 2009, 01:49 PM   #17
chris in va

Quote:
Wal-Mart is still selling this stuff at $8.97 a box
Where?

I'm considering the Lee Hand Press, but concerned about 'juggling' all the various components with it. I'd have to somehow find a dedicated reloading bench/table as I have nothing of the sort right now, and it would be in my cold garage. Suppose I could do it in my office but might look a little weird having all the stuff laid out like that.
Old April 11, 2009, 05:01 PM   #18
tiberius10721

You dont need dedicated reloading table.I bolted my lee turrent press to my cheap computer table .I just have to be more gentle with it.
Old April 11, 2009, 05:20 PM   #19
arizona98tj

Quote:
Where?
I buy 9mm Blazer Brass at the local Walmart. I paid $8.97 a box a year ago (according to an old sales slip I recently tossed) and the 400 rounds I bought earlier this week was the same price.
Old April 11, 2009, 09:26 PM   #20
dlb435

Kind of depends on how economical you can be. Shop carefully, buy used when you can. Get good deals. Collect range brass. Get by with too little rather than too much.
Yes, It does pay off if you let it.
It's also a lot of fun (for me) and it's a good hedge against future ammo tax.