The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 12, 2009, 10:45 PM   #1
algentry1

Black Powder framed Single Action Army

Hi, Folks.

I have bought the pistol, shown in the attachment. It's shipping tomorrow, and I 'll have it Tuesday. It's an 1893, Frontier Six Shooter, (Black Powder) well used, but not abused. The Previous owner says he shoots it, and it works well, but only uses "Cowboy Loads", and cautioned me to do the same.
Are there really any .44-40 cowboy loads that actually duplicate black powder pressures?
Just going to carry it in the woods, so Id like to go really easy on this old Colt. The panel screws are original, and undamaged, so I'd like to avoid Black Powder. If I shoot BP in it, I will be taking it apart a lot.

Sellers Ad said
"Colt SAA 44-40 cal Bore VG plus, Mech VG plus, Original eagle grips VG plus worn smooth on the high areas. Has a 4 ¾” Rd barrel with 2 line address and Colt Frontier Six Shooter on the left side and original untouched front sight. The frame has excellent patent dates and horse in a circle markings. Serial #149549 matching. Mfg 1893. Metal overall has an aged grey finish with some very fine pitting in areas."

I'll have it inspected by my Pistol Smith, to determine if it's safe to shoot, at all, before I try it out.
I welcome any input.
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wm_1223689.jpg (73.0 KB, 118 views)

Last edited by algentry1; April 12, 2009 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Added text from Online Sellers Ad
Old April 13, 2009, 12:18 AM   #2
Fingers McGee

Good lookin pistol.

Quote: algentry1
Quote:
If I shoot BP in it, I will be taking it apart a lot.
Why??? BP isn't rocket surgery (to steal a phrase). Cleaning an SAA that uses BP cartridges is easier than cleaning one that uses smokeless. You won't have to do more than remove the cylinder to clean it.

But, to answer your question - I can't answer your question cause I don't keep track of pressure data for BP and smokeless loads. Someone is sure to step in and provide that info. Smokeless 'Cowboy Loads" from current manufacturers probably approximates the BP 44-40 load
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old April 13, 2009, 12:52 AM   #3
Hawg

The last 44-40 loads I priced were 35.00 per box and that's been awhile. But yeah they're supposed to be close to original bp pressures.
Old April 13, 2009, 07:02 AM   #4
algentry1

Thanks, guys

Hi,

Fingers McGee,
Thanks for the compliment on the Pistol.
I was concerned about inside the slot where the hand comes out.
I guess maybe with .44-40, (bottleneck cases) it may be less of an issue, than with my .45 Colts with straight walled cartridges? My .45 Colt, Cimarron Model P, had stuff in there after a while with BP, as did my one previous (1997) .45Colt SAA.

Hawg Haggen,

Thanks for the Info. I have a bunch of Cowboy loads for targets, for my new 4th Gen. SAA, Frontier Six Shooter. They are pretty pricey cartridges, all right. I have some .44-40 RCBS dies, coming in the mail.

Thanks, Fellas
Al

Last edited by algentry1; April 13, 2009 at 07:03 AM. Reason: cancelled Edit
Old April 13, 2009, 04:02 PM   #5
Fingers McGee

algentry1 - My old Uberti .45s were loads dirtier than my current 44-40s, even the smokeless loads. While I only shoot them one or two matches a year now days - I much prefer my .36 Navies- I havent taken the BS/TG off of them in a looooonnnggg time. and there isnt any crud in the bolt slot.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old April 13, 2009, 06:49 PM   #6
algentry1

talked to Colt Customer Service

FM,

Thanks..I think I won't worry about it, I'll just wait and shoot it with both types of powder and look it over afterward, and see. I ordered 3 boxes of Goex BP .44-40s. l called customer service and Colt told me it won't hurt it to shoot smokeless Cowboy Loads, even though though it's a pre-smokeless frame.

I remember Mike Venturino, writing that .44-40, kept his Mod. 1873 rifle cleaner than he expected using Black Powder. He only took the side plates off once a year, and it was clean inside. My next lever gun, will be a .44-4o for sure.

I love 51 Navies. I had a second generation Navy, when they first came out, in the early 70s. I actually shot squirrels with it.

Best,
Al

Last edited by algentry1; April 13, 2009 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Typos
Old April 13, 2009, 09:01 PM   #7
long rider

NICE LOOKING PISTOL Algentry1.
IF i was you i would be loading my owen bp cases,
i read in the guns of the old west about them goex
cartridges, they did a test on 45 colt and the shooter
said they pack a wallop, but i do not no about 44-40
i use 44-40 led in my 44spl and load bp and full load
they too can pack a wallop, and i agree with the other
guys cleaning is a walk in the park, use it for what its
made for and have fun shooting it .
Old April 13, 2009, 11:45 PM   #8
Fingers McGee

Quote:
I remember Mike Venturino, writing that .44-40, kept his Mod. 1873 rifle cleaner than he expected using Black Powder. He only took the side plates off once a year, and it was clean inside. My next lever gun, will be a .44-4o for sure.
The side plates on my '66 and '73 only come off once a year at the end of the shooting season; and, I could probably let em go longer than that.

FM