The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 30, 2009, 12:43 AM   #1
rap_55

Need help fitting a stock on my Rem. 700

I bought a Boyd’s Thumbhole stock for my Rem. 700 about 18 month ago. I then found out I had cancer and went through the treatment. I’m doing a lot better now and getting back to finishing the job. The problem is when I put the stock on and tighten down the three screws the bolt wont budge. If I lessen the screws then it will work fine. Has any one ever ran in to this, what the best way to fine the area I need to sand down. One last question is that after the stock is fitted can it still be bedded.

Thanks Rick
Old January 30, 2009, 12:53 AM   #2
Scorch

Sorry to hear about your health problems, glad you're feeling better. As far as your fiream issue, sounds like either
a- the rear guard screw is hitting the bolt, in which case you would need to grind it a bit shorter, or
b- the front guard screw is going through the action into the bolt lug ways and binding the bolt head.

Try this:
tighten the screws until you bind the bolt. Then loosen one of them. If the bolt is freed, look on the bolt for a shiny spot, or remove the bolt, re-tighten the screw, and look into the action to see how much to trim. If the bolt that is binding the screw is the front screw, reach inside the bolt lug ways and see if you can feel it.
Old January 30, 2009, 05:19 PM   #3
rap_55

Thanks guys, I found two of the screws were to long. The screw in front of the trigger and the one all the way foward.

Rick