The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 29, 2008, 05:33 PM   #1
Stoner-15

Rock Salt

I've heard people talking about rocksalt loads in shotgun shells and i'm curious and thinking about loading some. But i dont know much about it is there things i should know please post thanks
Old December 29, 2008, 05:48 PM   #2
Tombstonejim

Why?
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot33.htm
Old December 29, 2008, 06:06 PM   #3
Stoner-15

Pretty much just for defense reason and for fun.
Old December 29, 2008, 06:13 PM   #4
Casimer

I think that the BOT test demonstrates the intended use. The article's author seems to assume that these are intended as defensive loads, but that's never been my understanding. Anyone I've known who's loaded rock salt does so because they're hoping to shock and harass whatever it is they'll be shooting at - but not to inflict a serious wound.
Old December 29, 2008, 06:51 PM   #5
Don H

I believe, in most localities, that the discharge of a firearm at someone is considered a deadly act no matter what the projectile(s) may be.

Rock salt loads have been discussed numerous times in the Shotgun Forum, if you're inclined to get more information.
Old December 29, 2008, 07:45 PM   #6
dahermit

The reason for shooting a person with rock salt is to create a wound that is infused with salt. A situation that would cause extreme pain. If someone actually did that, the legal system would have a field day with intent to maim, torture, etc.

Also, rock salt is an impure substance taken as-is from underground mines complete with small stones and dirt. Do you really want to shoot small stones(harder than barrel steel) and dirt through the barrel of a valued gun?

Furthermore, salt is hygroscopic, that is, it has an affinity for water, and will accelerate the formation of rust in the gun barrel.

In short, there are several good reasons not to fire salt through a shotgun, and no good reasons to do it.
Old December 29, 2008, 07:57 PM   #7
Ricklin

Someone swiping your watermelons?

Sure can't see it as a defensive option, try buckshot.

Can't see it as 'fun' either, esp. if you damage your shotgun in the process.

An all around bad idea. Like most things that are basically an urban legend, that has been done a few times.

Usually there are stolen watermelons involved.
Old December 29, 2008, 08:32 PM   #8
cchardwick

Go to Cheaperthandirt.com or look online for a less than lethal alternative, i.e., bags or rubber balls.
Old December 29, 2008, 09:32 PM   #9
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

simple math says it is a bad idea...

salt residue + moisture = bad things in a barrel

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old December 29, 2008, 09:39 PM   #10
PCJim

My grandfather told of his doings enough times on separate occasions for me to believe him. He told of how he would lay low in the mellon patch in late summer with his sweet 16 and give a healthy dose of rock salt to some delinquents who were trying to have fun with his cash crop. He was a good man and would have given the mellons if they had the intent to eat them. Smashing them for sheer fun was another matter. Times were tight, especially for family farmers.

Mind you also that in those times, if those kid's parents ever caught them doing that to a neighboring farmers crop, those kids would welcome that load of salt over the whipping their parents would have laid upon them. BTW, hickory trees were quite common in North Carolina and made for some mighty painful switches. Ohhh, the memories.....

Times are quite a bit different today. I'd agree that the legal process would have a field day.
Old December 30, 2008, 01:14 AM   #11
Hellbent11

I've often wondered about this myself. I've heard numerous stories from folks in my area about using rock salt loads to deter hobo's from eating pies cooling on window sills and especially hitching a ride in the railyards. My great uncle told me that it was commonplace for conductors/engineers to carry some rock salt loads when he worked at the railroad 1940's. I thought about using them to keep the neighbors cat/dog out of the chicken coop and away from cattle?
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!