The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 28, 2007, 01:51 PM   #1
Straight Shooter

Weapon Light For Home Defense Shotgun

I have a Remington 870 that I plan on making my primary for home defense once it is ready. One thing it must have before it is bumped up to the "A" team is a tactical light.

I have a SureFire L4 and all I can say is “wow.” Some people think I am crazy to pay $160 for a flashlight that fits comfortably in your pocket, but I couldn’t be happier with it. With that being said SureFire was naturally the first place I looked for a tactical light for my shotgun.

I really like SureFire’s 618FGA model for the Remington 870. It has a pressure sensitive activation pad, a constant on/off rocker switch, and a system disable rocker switch so the light doesn’t turn on when you don’t want it to.

I wouldn’t mind paying the $300 for this model, however the only problem is it is not an LED. I would REALLY prefer any tactical light I own (especially one that will be exposed to the recoil of 00 buckshot) be an LED.

With that being said: any suggestions on a light for a Remington 870 that has the same features as the above described model but is an LED as well?

Any ideas, comments, opinions, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old November 28, 2007, 11:53 PM   #2
lemons

I have the exact same problem. I have an 870 that is yearning for a light and I recently picked up my first Surefire, also an L4. In all the reasearch I've done (via internet) an LED seems much better suited to handle the recoil of a shotgun. I picked up a surefire catalogue and they do make LED conversion heads, but I do not know if those will fit on the 618 or not. You might want to email Surefire and ask if it fits. Another place to look for information is candle power forums. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/
Be careful though, these guys are flashlight addicts.

Good luck