The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 9, 2005, 03:03 PM   #1
marmark

Hunting down South

I would like to take my mother (60's) on a hunt where she can shoot multiple deer. She has never tagged a deer. This year she got so excited she even pee'd her pants. Tree stands are pretty much a NO-GO. Blinds would be good. Which states/area's would be good.
Old December 9, 2005, 03:48 PM   #2
FrontSight

Texas!
Old December 9, 2005, 04:20 PM   #3
Fremmer

Nebraska. And bring a spare set of pants for the poor woman!

Edited: I just realized that you probably want to hunt somewhere in the South. Always good to read a Thread title before replying....Well, make a trip up North if you want to, anyway!!!
Old December 9, 2005, 04:39 PM   #4
JKump

Georgia is not bad. Look to go to the southern zone, hunting until January 15. I hunt here in Wilkinson County and Washington County (middle Ga.), The northern most top of the southern zone, we have a lot of Florida hunters around here, so I guess this area is not to bad. Around here you could take your choice, hunting woods or fields, blinds should work with both. Good luck with your choice.

P.S. I heard Alabama is not bad either, long season and you could take a deer a day.

"Everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth".
Old December 9, 2005, 05:03 PM   #5
FirstFreedom

Yeah, I heard GA's deer population was so bad that they upped the number of deer a hunter can take in a year to 11...is that true? Texas's deer rifle season is 2-3 times as long as ours in OK - seems they hunt forever down there. Texas really IS like a whole 'nuther county however, so I'm sure in some places in TX there's a million deer; in others there are not.
Old December 9, 2005, 11:03 PM   #6
trooper3385

Texas

I've hunted in TX all of my life. Most places in TX you can get by hunting out of a deer blind or driving. Just about all the hunting in South Texas is done in either a blind or driving in high racks.
Old December 10, 2005, 08:03 AM   #7
JKump

Currently in Georgia you can take 12 deer. 10 Does, one Buck (unrestricted) and One Buck with at least 4 point on one side. Not to bad I guess.

Old December 12, 2005, 07:42 PM   #8
marmark

Thanx for the replies

I'll look into Georgia and alabama
Old December 13, 2005, 06:09 AM   #9
KKirk

JKump, where abouts in Washington county do you usually hunt. My father-in-law has some property up around Hamburg Park that I hunt on. Also have some florida folks that come up to hunt also. Haven't had much luck this year yet, maybe I'll get out tonight, and change that.
Old December 13, 2005, 12:49 PM   #10
shureshot0471

Come to Texas there are ample deer populations anywhere you go she would be able to fill all of her tags and it is very easy for well aged persons to hunt my grandmother has had 2 knee replacements and she goes all over the place on my lease with me (we are on a 4-wheeler quite a bit though) we do a lot of walking too many deer to choose from and lots of quality bucks she would be very pleased
- Ted Nugent
Old December 13, 2005, 04:15 PM   #11
marmark

Shureshot- What are the limits/costs for an out of state hunter? Is hunter education required? What about guide services? I don't care whether she gets a big buck, but the opportunity to shoot multiple deer. I feel that she would be able to handle herself better once she gets past the initial buck fever.
Old December 14, 2005, 12:22 AM   #12
shureshot0471

go to www.tpwd.state.tx.us it will give all of the limits and licensing information for the whole state it is hard to remember all of those because the area is so big and limits are different
- Ted Nugent
Old December 14, 2005, 07:26 AM   #13
JKump

KKirk -- [JKump, where abouts in Washington county do you usually hunt. My father-in-law has some property up around Hamburg Park that I hunt on. Also have some florida folks that come up to hunt also. Haven't had much luck this year yet, maybe I'll get out tonight, and change that. ]

I hunt off of Deepstep road. Shot one spiked and lost a shot doe. Last week saw 4 but was unable to get a good shot off.

Old December 14, 2005, 10:47 AM   #14
gb_in_ga

I'd look into Ga and Tx. Ga has a very liberal bag, and Tx has a sufficiently generous one (varies by county) and a bazillion deer -- I'd head to the Hill Country/Edwards Plateau regions in Tx, if it were me.