The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old December 16, 2002, 08:42 AM   #51
jc121

blind rat I also thought you had it with last weeks score because we almost called it off because of trouble keeping the targets on but some tape and alot of stapples and we made it.

I do shoot across the course and because of the limited ranges here (only 2 full courses in co.) it is restricted to the summer mostly. I do like to travel around the state and try to get in at least 4 to 5 matches a month.

been doing this sport again since sept. of 2001.

my scores jumped from the mid 460's and low 470's to the 480's about 3 months ago.
have not had a opertunity to shoot but 1 full course since my scores have risen but I did take 2nd out of 35 shooters and they were some of the best in colo.

now as far as the targets go in those two matches the 486 was shot with all the correct targets. and with those targets I have been stuck between 484 and 489 and have been playing with alot of new holds and cants and the such but its time to get those things down before the season starts in the spring. do have hopes to get into the 98%to 99% by early summer and stay in the 97% on the xtc matches depending on conditions which are usually very windy here.

the match on sunday as you know with the inside info was all shot on the off-hand/rapid sitting target. the realistic score for my groups in that wind would of most likely been like the mid 480's.

yes the 8 x's scross the target would of still been all x's.

I have cleaned all the targets several times in the last few months with the exception of off hand but getting close to that also.

in sept. I won the state reduced prone championship with a 786-28x and they were fired on the standard targets. scores were 194-197 slow prone 198-197 rapid prone, in the last 2 months of matches my rapid sitting I have lost about 8 points out of a possible 700.

did finally get into a good club with a 600 yard range that I can practice on and as soon as the snows melt up there I plan on at least once a week trip to work on loads and the wind.

did shoot my backup rifle at this match on sunday working on my loads and because I just was not happy with the groups. its like yeah the scores were great but the groups were not tight enough and with the pac-nor and 77smk's even in the wind I came away very happy with the groups.

now you all know all my little secrets and come spring I will pick a match and let you all have another chance.
Old December 16, 2002, 12:09 PM   #52
Correia

JC, you played us like a fiddle.

I'm glad I won, I can always use more magazines. I'll PM you my mailing address.
Old December 17, 2002, 08:40 PM   #53
Steve Smith

Logging in from the great beyond

Hey guys, I'm not dead, just "TDY." FYI, Jon and I are Highpower buddies and now (scary) roomates, so yeah, I was in on it all along. Don't ever bet against Jon...he always cheats.

Oh, and Blind Rat...well, he's a Highpower nut too, but he's just weird...and a wannabe pimp.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old December 19, 2002, 08:05 AM   #54
Blind Rat

Jon,

I'm curious about how the reduced targets correlate to the full distance. We don't shoot much reduced out here, but I had read that the reduced targets were drawn up through trial and error 20 some odd years ago to give comparable scores to the full distance. Thus, the dimensions don't necessarily work out as a "true" reduction.

My thought was that the elimination of the "30 Caliber Rule" would have a greater impact on 223 shooters especially on Reduced Targets. The numbers say a 223 should lose a few points on reduced versus full distance now. I've been looking for more feedback on that situation. With that said, I've shot better scores the few times I've shot reduced matches versus Full distance.

I'll have to try shooting a course completely on the SR target for curiosity sake.

BTW, that 99 in Standing is Hard. Maybe Steevie can rub your Mojo and get some of that (now that you two are room mates).

Steevie, thanks for steering me to my new Bling Threads Supplier.

The threads are just what I needed to take me to High Master. BlingBling Yo!!

Last edited by Blind Rat; December 20, 2002 at 05:01 AM.
Old December 19, 2002, 08:39 AM   #55
jc121

blind rat:
thank you for the compliment as I have been trying to work on the off hand and sitting alot lately at the cost to my prone scores but with alot of practice I hope to get my act together before spring and perry.

what I find is that I get better scores on the rapid prone at the regular distants of 300 but the 200 reduced on it is a killer sometimes.
not to sure with the 600 real distance as last summer most everytime I shot it before I got smart I had alot of pressure problems with my ammo . did change powders and loads and the last time out with in a heavy switching wind my scores were right there with the other top shooters that day.

as you know the off hand and rapid sitting is the same target but what gets me is that I like to take two loads to the matches one with 69's and one with 77's and I do prefere the 69's if the wind is not a factor but if it is windy I will shoot the 77's.

now accross the course I will shoot the 69's at 200, 77's at 300 and 80's at 600 but if it gets windy I will shoot 77's at 200 and 300. see you all later jon oh wher do you shoot at?
Old December 20, 2002, 01:11 AM   #56
Steve Smith

For the record, I am not rubbing ANYTHING of Jon's. Mojo or not.

Jon, 194 in the slow prone? What happened, did you fall asleep?

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old December 20, 2002, 04:58 AM   #57
Blind Rat

"Damn yo!
Steevie, Jon is the straight up mack daddy tip! You smell what I'm steppin' in? And since I be hearing what a standing biatch you be, you best be wishin the brutha spreads some of dat Standing luuuuv.