The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 16, 2002, 05:57 PM   #1
Deadeye96

New owner of 16ga Ithaca 37

As the subject says I am now the new owner of a 16ga Ithaca 37. The gun appears to be in very good condition, used but not abused. This is one of two guns I own that I wish could talk, the other is an M1 Carbine. While I was actually looking for a "riot gun", I found this one at the gunshow this weekend and fell in love with it. I have never owned a 16ga before or an Ithaca. I cannot wait to shoot it. However, I am having trouble disassembling the gun. Is there a trick to it, or maybe the barrel is just screwed in really tight. I would also like to know how old the gun is. The SN is 246594. Thanks for any info
Old June 17, 2002, 08:11 AM   #2
Clemson

Congratulations. The model 37 is a classic.

To dissassemble, screw the magazine cap IN to release its hold on the lug that is attached to the barrel. Turn the barrel 1/4 turn and pull it out. It is made with interrupted threads.

There is an exception to the above if the Ithaca is a "Deerslayer" model. While I have not owned one of them, I understand that they were made with fixed, non-replaceable barrels. I don't have any idea whether the 16 gauges were ever made in that configuration. I know that 12's and 20's were. They had rifle sights.
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old June 17, 2002, 09:25 PM   #3
Gopher

Enjoy your new toy. In case you didnt know it the early ones will slam fire. There is no interuptor on the slide. If you cycle the action with the trigger down it will fire. The first time I did that with my DSPS 12 it scared the hell out of me. Have fun.
Old June 17, 2002, 10:04 PM   #4
Deadeye96

Thanks for the replies. As far as the Deerslayer, this one is not. It has a pheasant hunting scene on one side of the reciever, and a duck hunting scene on the other and no rifle sights. As far as the slamfire feature, I hope this is one of the early models, anyone know from the SN. I actually wanted that feature, just for the novelty.
Old June 17, 2002, 11:21 PM   #5
Kingcreek

Sounds like you might have a 37 Deluxe? As per Clemson, the mag cap screws IN or clockwise if you are looking at it from the front.
Yours will probably slamfire if stroked with the trigger back. Happened to me once when freezing rain and ice stuck the trigger back after a shot and got a bang on the reload stroke.
I love those 37s (got 3 of em)
Old June 20, 2002, 08:04 AM   #6
Hemicuda

that likely isn't the 'deluxe" model... it is likely the far rarer "featherweight" model... the recievers engraved with the pheasant and duck scenes were (I am told) the featherweights. (I have a 12 and a 20 in this series)

should have a corn-cob forend... and fairly lightweight feel...

DAMN good gun you got there... I wish it were mine, as it'd fill out my collection.

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.