The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 25, 2014, 06:32 PM   #1
Nugger

Another Elk Tag Question

Okay, so in a Wyoming elk unit such as 37, there is a general elk season in which both bulls and cows can be legally taken that runs from Oct 15 to Nov 5. But there is also a cow and calf season that runs from Sep 1 to Sep 30, and a season that runs from Oct 1 to Dec 21 in which "unused" type 6 licenses from the previous cow and calf season are valid. What I want to know is by "unused" do they mean tags for that season drawn by hunters which were not filled, or something else? And am I allowed to apply for both the General elk season and cow and calf season? Yes I know these are rookie questions, but when it comes to Wyoming elk hunting and applying for tags I am entirely a rookie and just want to make sure I get everything clear.
Old July 25, 2014, 07:29 PM   #2
tahunua001

I'm going to go out on a limb and say, if it's a tag in your pocket and it's not filled out, then it's unused.

are these seasons controlled hunt or open hunt? I am guessing they are open hunt as most controlled hunts that I've ever seen are just that, controlled, if you didn't get that tag for that hunt then you don't get to hunt. so I'm thinking that these are open tags, anyone can buy them and if you don't fill your tag in the earlier season then you can still try for a cow or calf in the later season.

but that's all guessing on my part, you local fish and game/wildlife/DNR office would have the definite answer.

I prefer the later seasons, easier to track.
Old July 25, 2014, 09:22 PM   #3
Barnacle Brad

An "unused" tag simply refers to an unfilled tag you have in your possession that could have been used in the hunt area on the previous open dates for that year.

You are allowed one "full price" (any elk) and perhaps two "reduced price" (cow, calf) tags in any given year. The quantities may be different for out of staters, but you would have to confirm that.

A full price tag can be a general tag or a limited quota tag. All reduced price tags are a limited quota and must be applied for and be successfully drawn (except "left over" or undrawn tags - these can be purchased first come, first served, and applies to both full and reduced price tags).

Last edited by Barnacle Brad; July 25, 2014 at 09:36 PM.
Old July 28, 2014, 05:00 PM   #4
Wyoredman

Brad Nailed It!