The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 4, 2010, 11:45 AM   #1
BConklin

Question RE: 1858 Remington

I see that a lot of second hand 1858's have a distinctive mark that goes all the way around the cylinder. I assume it's from the cylinder rubbing against the bolt and wearing out the blueing.

Some of these guns are said to be unfired - with only marks from spinning the cylinder.

But on my Pietta - the bolt only comes into contact with the cylinder when the hammer is fully cocked and even then it doesn't stay in contact all the way around - so even firing the gun through the entire 6 shots in succession won't cause the bolt to leave a groove all the way around the cylinder.

With the hammer at half cock to spin the cylinder - the bolt on my gun is fully retracted. So there's nothing there at all to leave a mark when the cylinder is spun.

Is this a peculiarity of my gun, that it doesn't leave a groove on the cylinder when I spin it or fire it? Does it mean it's not working properly?

It seems to cycle correctly and I haven't had any problems firing it. But the only indication the gun has been used are some tiny marks on the edge of the notches on the side of the cylinder.

Last edited by BConklin; December 4, 2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old December 4, 2010, 01:03 PM   #2
wogpotter

Just guessing here but I remember reading somewhere (probably here) that if put on 1/2 cock the Remington action must be fully cocked before lowering. Supposedly just lowering from 1/2 cock causes the dragging bolt problem IIRC.
Old December 4, 2010, 01:08 PM   #3
Doc Hoy

Conk

The mark around the cylinder comes from one of two things.

Either the bolt is not disengaging properly or the person who is handling the pistol is manipulating the action in a way the permits the cylinder to turn even though the bolt is not retracted.

As you cock the pistol examine the bolt closely. When the pistol is at half cock, the bolt should retract in such a way that it does not contact the cylinder at all. If it does some work on the bolt will correct the problem. The way you are describing yours, it is operating correctly.

Then, when the hammer comes all the way to full cock, the bolt snaps into place holding the cylinder in battery. But it is possible to get the bolt to snap into its extended position even though the cylinder is not in battery. So then with the bolt extended, the cylinder moves and the bolt scores the cylinder.
Old December 4, 2010, 02:03 PM   #4
Hawg

It mostly comes from lowering the hammer from half cock then turning the cylinder until it locks. They all do it not just Remington.
Old December 4, 2010, 04:42 PM   #5
Tom2

I think you could minimise the wear by making sure the bolt is clean, that is, no super sharp edges and the top of it polished mirror shiny or close to it, versus rough. I polish the tops on all revolvers and it does help reduce the line appearing. Along with a film of oil, perhaps. I have an Uberti with no problems and also a little brass framed Rem. .31 that I bought used. It has a pretty good line around the cylinder. Well I would be curious to compare it to some original Remmy photos online and see if it is just normal or if it is something to do with modern production quality. Think most Italians benefit from hand fitting or parts polishing when you have time for it. Deburring too.
Old December 4, 2010, 06:51 PM   #6
Hawg

Quote:
I polish the tops on all revolvers and it does help reduce the line appearing
If you always bring the hammer to full cock before lowering it you wont have a line.
Old December 4, 2010, 07:31 PM   #7
BConklin

Thanks, all, for such clear explanations.